Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
How do you get a siphon in a vent line that is attached to the top of the tank and doesn't go below the surface of the water in the tank? Maybe you get a little water slosh out but I don't see how it can siphon since the supply end of a siphon has to be submerged in the water. Maybe my vent is installed different than others.
In some RVs, the vent line is installed so it dips down into the tank, making the siphoning action easier to start. If a solid 'wave' of water splashes into the vent opening, filling the hose with enough water to start the siphon, it will continue until the vent line in the tank can suck air and break it. A small hole in the top of the loop will stop the action as the water moving down the vent hose will immediately draw in air and the siphon will stop.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #16
KEH

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I always fill the water tank before leaving. If you ever break down and have to spend some time in a dry repair lot you'll understand. The weight of the water is irrelevant. The motorhome is designed to carry it and I'm not worried about the .0001% reduction in fuel mileage.
Absolutely smart advice. I do the same. You cannot predict when an emergency situation will arise. Best to be prepared when possible. I witnessed a guy draining his fresh water tank just after a hurricane last year in the Florida Keys, not knowing if there would be water where he was going, because he was worried about the weight. There was devastation everywhere and no fresh water source for over one hundred miles. It was one of the craziest things I've witnessed.
Fulltimer's - Class of 2014
KEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #17
KEH

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Unless you're headed out to boondock in a desert wilderness, why would you need to fill to maximum capacity? I can see my water tank in the open door of my wet bay, I can monitor water level as it fills. Even if I don't have the door open, I can hear a change in sound as the gravity fill starts to get near the tank's capacity.

At 8.4 pounds per gallon, I carry enough water for use, I don't carry a full tank unless I'm headed to a place without it. I've not been there yet.
When you get there someday and have no water, then you will realize how valuable the 8.4 pounds would be...in your tank.
Fulltimer's - Class of 2014
KEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #18

siphoning the freshwater tank

On my 2000 tradewinds you cant see the freshwater tank, it has a drain valve near the entry door and thats all you can see. If I fill the tank and even the slightest amount comes out of the overflow vent then the tank will siphon until only about 1/3rd remains!!!I have to put in water in stages and go by the gauge inside to show how much is in the tank.
the docktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEH View Post
Absolutely smart advice. I do the same. You cannot predict when an emergency situation will arise. Best to be prepared when possible. I witnessed a guy draining his fresh water tank just after a hurricane last year in the Florida Keys, not knowing if there would be water where he was going, because he was worried about the weight. There was devastation everywhere and no fresh water source for over one hundred miles. It was one of the craziest things I've witnessed.
Do you stop at every fuel station to keep the tank topped up? There might be a zombie apocalypse after your last fill up and you'd be caught with the last fuel available on earth!

Of course if in the FL Keys, during or just after a hurricane it wouldn't be smart to drain your fresh water tank, but we don't know why the fellow was draining his tank.

Growing up on a boat that only had a 20-gallon water tank, and having done a lot of backpacking, I know how to conserve water. Since our 'home' has wheels, we can boondock, then drive to a water source if necessary.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Do you stop at every fuel station to keep the tank topped up? There might be a zombie apocalypse after your last fill up and you'd be caught with the last fuel available on earth!
I don't think there's ever been an zombie apocalypse in recorded history. However, RV's break down all the time.

Tags
water