Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #1

Water heater

2000 Tradewinds, model 7373. It appears that i have both electric and propane to heat the hot water. I have never used anything but propane on trips. I would like to know where the switch to use electricity for heating the water is. I know the propane switch is on a console on the wall that has a red light come on when i turn the switch on. How does one turn the electric on. I checked my model heater and it says it is a dual water heater. Thanks, Duk
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #2

Look to see if there is a place for the switch, but it is not installed. Mine has one and I don't have the electric option. It's like a blank cover plate the size of the gas switch. I also have a blank for a solar panel.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Most likely the electrical supply @ the water heater itself has a rocker switch that can activate / deactivate the power. Up on the wall is possibly a rocker switch that coud show red when in the heat by proane position. Depending on configuration it can be default electric with added gas as in showering, heat when boondocking.......does this help? Cheers.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Duk

Look in and around your kitchen cabinets for a switch that looks a lot like the one in this picture. Yours will not have two switches but will have one switch and a red light in the other position. In Dan's 2001 it's on the counter face just in front of the sink. This is the power for the Water Heater. You can use Gas and Electric at the same time for really quick hot water.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Light Switch.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	22967  
Old 06-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine is a single switch with a red pilot lamp in a duplex recept plate on the front of the sink base cabinet.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My switch is just to the left of the stove, down low on the cabinet side. Looks like a light switch, but no red light indicator. Up is on. I use both gas and electric to insure that I have enough hot water from a 6 gallon tank to shower. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #7

Thanks Dick, I found the switch under the Kitchen sink. I laid a door down that was on the right side as you look under the sink, and bingo i saw an electric box with a switch on it. I turned the switch on and left it on for a couple of hours and no hot water. I figure the previous owner somehow left it on with no water in it and burned out the element. I will replace the element and see what happens. I cannot figure out why National did not put a switch on the MH where it would be easy to get to. By the way i had water in the tank when i turned the switch on. Thanks, Jerry
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Duk

Before you buy a new element you may want to put a meter on the existing one and see if you have 110 VAC with the switch on. It would be a shame to replace the element when it's not the problem.

Carefull now, we called 110VAC the deadly shipmate when I was in the Navy, just don't touch either of the connections with your hands.

Dick
Old 04-22-2015, 08:27 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Activate an old thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrduk View Post
Thanks Dick, I found the switch under the Kitchen sink. I laid a door down that was on the right side as you look under the sink, and bingo i saw an electric box with a switch on it. I turned the switch on and left it on for a couple of hours and no hot water. I figure the previous owner somehow left it on with no water in it and burned out the element. I will replace the element and see what happens. I cannot figure out why National did not put a switch on the MH where it would be easy to get to. By the way i had water in the tank when i turned the switch on. Thanks, Jerry
I'm in the process of replacing the element in my 1999 TW 7371, Cannot get enough leverage on it to remove. Did you change yours? If so, did you have the same problem?
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is also a switch on the back side of the water heater that must be set to either on or off. It is hard to find. You might need a flashlight and a mirror.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
There is also a switch on the back side of the water heater that must be set to either on or off. It is hard to find. You might need a flashlight and a mirror.
Sounds like you have been in same spot I'm in. Have you replaced a screw element in a GC6AA9E? Problem is getting a socket on it AND then getting leverage to remove.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:15 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never had to replace the element because the electric switch was turned off.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
LakeKerrGuy,
I had the same issue. Tried putting a 1/2" breaker bar on the 1 1/2" socket with no luck. I had to put my electric 1/2" impact gun on it and it spun right out.
NinePine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water