Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #1

Unhappy Water heater - leaking? 96 Dolphin

I sent DH out to find the pasta roller in the basement yesterday and he discovered that the carpeting was WET. He took everything out of the basement and used the shop vac to suck up all the water and let it air out - we'll open it to air out again today.

While checking things out he found that the cardboard around the insulation on the 6 gallon propane water heater is wet. We're just wondering if this could be anything other than a leaking worn out water heater (fingers crossed). It's going to be a couple weeks before we can replace it, and it doesn't seem to be a heavy leak.

We're full timing in Eastern WA - it has been in the high teens and low 20's at night and we've had a lot of days that didn't get much above 30. I don't know if that might have anything to do with it.
Fanciesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the WH is original, you have a 17 year old WH. It's likely got a pin-hole leak and getting bigger by the day. I would replace it ASAP....it could "gush" anytime and do a lot of water damage inside the coach. ....and it will happen at the most inconvenient time! Good luck. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #3

Thanks - that's what I'm afraid of . . .
Old 02-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Find the two part epoxy "A&B Epoxy Putty" usually found at swimming pool stores. It can be pushed into your leak......if you can find it.

Don't push too hard, might make it worse.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I agree with Rook. If you got 17 years out of the original tank you are way overdue for a replacement. There is no fix for a tank leak. An epoxy patch may buy you a little time to get organized for the project, but that is all you can expect.
Murphy must live at your house also! Cold weather, winter, dark evenings.... The perfect time for a leak!
Look at it this way... It's the perfect opportunity to upgrade the tank to the latest technology and inspect all the plumbing and LP connections in that area of your coach!!!!! Wear a warm coat!
Have fun!
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #6

Thanks all! I don't think he knows exactly where in the tank the leak is - it just isn't in any of the fittings so I don't think the epoxy will work. We have found a new water heater, same manufacturer and model # so we know it will fit.

We just replaced the conv/microwave this month (ouch) so this is just frosting on the cake :/!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep......these "age related" failures all seem to come at the same time! It's easy to run out of "discretionary" funds when that happens...... Enjoy knowing that you have some "new stuff". Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #8

We bought this rig in 2010 and have been living in it full time - I guess it's time to expect that "age related" issues will happen. Before we bought it there had been very very little use and now . . . !

We've done the kitchen faucet, conv/microwave, now the water heater, pulled out the original little TV in front, and we've got plans for a new stove top and some other changes in the kitchen (new wall treatment and hopefully a new sink, and maybe refacing the doors on the fridge to match the stainless). Right now we're nursing the water heater until payday. "Discretionary funds"
Old 02-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
More then one way to get hot water.

I will try this one more time, I lost the last thread to this one.
I have a 1997 36' Dolphin M.H. and had to remove the water heater tank to repair a leak.
The leak was in the PVC pipe that went into the tank so I flipped the bypass lever so I could remove the tank.
If you flip the bypass lever you can still have water and you still can have hot water by using your coffee pot.
Just a thought
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #10

I guess 96 might be different, it doesn't appear that we can do that. He has to do some modifications on the wood brace in the morning. Then we have to find a different "sealer" - the one he got requires much warmer temperatures than we have right now. Another day . . . I can always heat some water in the microwave - the coffee pot takes forever to make coffee, it's old and needs replacing when stuff stops breaking.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Till hot water runs again.

It would be help full to know what kind of M.H. you have the year and modal would help also.
I have a 1997 36' Dolphin on a Chevy frame and a forte engine.
It's around 15 years old and has 83,000 miles still runs goods.
About the water heater, I had a leak about a year ago and it was in back of the tank where the water came into it.
I turned the bypass valve to stop the leak until I could fix it.
The PVC pipe was leaking around where the water went into the tank, so in order to repair it I had to remove it from the M.H. it did not take long but it can be done if you are handy other wise have some one that know what he or she is doing and it can be done at home.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #12

We have a 1996 Dolphin 535, 35' long tag axel with a Ford engine.

The new water heater is in and working like a champ. HOT water, and it reheats very quickly.

We found a wonderful silicone at Lowes that is made for tub and tile. All is happy here.

We ordered our replacement from American RV and were really happy with the price, shipping time, and customer service. If all goes well we'll be buying our new stove top through them too. (Not a "have to" but a "want to" - the stove top appeared to be the only used item in the coach besides the big ding in the sink - both will be replaced this summer).
Old 03-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
When u get the stove top remove the crank start and add a battery powered igniter like on ur outdoor grill. You'll be very happy u did.
capecodbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #14

The new stove top has a pezio ignition or electronic. It's stainless sealed burner and the stovetop itself is level and the grid is much more substantial than the flimsy one we have new.

Since cooking is my passion in life these things are important.

Tags
dolphin, heater, water