RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Water Intrusion in Cab 2006 Sea Breeze

I am a new owner of a 2006 Sea Breeze 1350. Had it about six weeks. We've had some absolutely torrential rain these past few weeks in Florida. We took the coach up to Fort Wilderness at Disney beginning of last month and I had moisture all along the base of the carpet to the sides of the driver and passenger seats right against the wall, with a heavy concentration of moisture up in the corners under the dash on both sides. Took it in for service and they found plugged up weep holes. Unclogged them, hose tested, and claimed the leak was all gone. Getting ready for a long weekend trip tomorrow and, while in the coach tonight, found the edges of the carpet wet again under the front windows and again, heavily concentrated in the corner - especially on the passenger side. Got to looking around the outside of the coach and was wondering if it was the "molding" (don't know what to call it) - the piece of trim that runs around the outside right above the storage bays. It's at about the right level and mine looks pretty cracked. Thinking of that I went back in and checked just next to my entry door along the carpet and, while it's not as wet as the cab, it sure seems wet all the way back to the entry door. Not that it couldn't all be coming from the window...

I saw some old threads here where folks said they had a similar situation on their Sea Breeze / Dolphins and fixed it by applying electrical tape to the base of the windows. So, just curious, for those of you who fixed it with electrical tape in the cab:

(1) Is your problem still fixed at this time
(2) Where are you folks taping exactly? Putting a piece along the lower edge of the window and the wall? Or higher up on the window near the glass?

To anyone else - ideas? It doesn't seem like too much water considering the amount of rain we had this afternoon so I don't think it will impact our trip, but it will mean ANOTHER return to the shop when we get back to town. Sigh.

Thanks for any info!
Tim
TandCplusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think they were taping the weep holes... Not sure if that would fix yours.. It could be anything. I fought a leak for a year.
I think the fix for me was the awning bolts where they screw into the body up high, Caulk around them. Check the around the windows, where your mirrors mount, Around the entry door.
Their is a square tube frame all along the floor line, so it could be full of water from the leak .. and that is how the water ends up by your front seats good luck..
Old 10-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I fought a similar leak problem on the drivers side of our '05 Sea Breeze. What I discovered in our case, that water was seeping in through the holes cut in the walls for the side view mirrors

Take a look at this thread that I posted http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/foun...ce-165165.html

Since I took the mirrors off and resealed them, I have not had any noticeable water intrusion, and in fact, the wallboard appears to have finally dried out.

If you reach up under the dash - at least on the drivers side - you can feel the hole that was cut for the mirror wires. On ours, I could easily feel that the wood used for the wall was damp and is soft in the immediate areas around the hole.

While the wood in the 1" area around our hole is still a little soft, I can feel that it is now finally dried out.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Thank you guys - much appreciated! Will check all areas mentioned in the coming weeks and get this thing nipped in the bud.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a water leak on both sides when I bought my Tradewinds. I found the silicone sealant around the top and sides of the 2 side windows was bad. Removed and replaced with new sealant and the leaks stopped. Easy fix, I'd look there first.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #6

I finally got enough rain where I live to see if I have any leaks. Yep, I do. Right on top of the passenger's dash. I could see it dripping from the very top where there is a slot in the plastic (pic 1). With the TV access cover off, I could see it dripping from the edge of the plywood, right above the slot. It stopped raining before I could trace where it's coming from. The next day, I taped a hose on a 10' length of PVC pipe so I could direct the water at the windshield, marker lights and the cap seam and could not get it to leak.

After looking at the pics again, I'm thinking that bundle of wire is for the batwing antenna cable and that may be where the water is getting in. I may not have gotten the hose back far enough. Is that a common place for water to get in?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Dunner, I've not personally had a leak at the antenna but it is certainly possible. I've been slowly sealing all of the seams and openings in my roof with Eternabond tape.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not to make light of your comment, but the most common place on any RV for water to get in is--everywhere. Just get the correct sealant for the roof and go up and caulk anything that looks like water could get in.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #9

Going to have to wait a few days. Big weather front coming in. Gusts up to 45mph and possible rain. Don't think I want to be up there when that happens.

I got up under the plastic as far as I could, and none of the cables are touching the plywood. The picture just makes it look like they are. I can actually stand on the doghouse and get my head up in there. I just don't understand why it didn't leak with the garden hose, unless I didn't go far enough or at the right angle. I don't have any friends to help me be in two places at once.

As high up the leak is, it appears that the water intrusion could come from the cap seam, the marker lights, antenna, the radio antenna and maybe where the awning attaches. I can reach the radio antenna and it was not wet. Maybe the wood swelled up and sealed the leak.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You must be in the same area we are, dust storms and a chance of rain (mud).
Old 10-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
Just get the correct sealant for the roof and go up and caulk anything that looks like water could get in.
What is a good/correct roof sealant? Is there anyplace I shouldn't seal on the coach exterior?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandCplusRV View Post
What is a good/correct roof sealant? Is there anyplace I shouldn't seal on the coach exterior?
I used Eternabond tape on laps, seams, where the front and rear cap meets the roof and I even used it along the entire roof edge front to back by lapping it down into the gutter so that it sealed off the gap where the gutter lays on the edge of the roof. I use Dicor self leveling sealant around sky lights, vents etc on the roof. I use silicone sealant on anything on the side walls that was previously sealed with silicone. Silicone sealant has to be examined on a regular basis to insure it hasn't failed (it will look like it's still sound until you try it with your finger nail and find that it's loose). I hope that helps.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
National RV had a history of water leaks at the front and rear caps where they join the flat roof. The fix was to cover the joint with Eternabond tape side to side. In 06 or 07 the production line incorporated this to fix the problem.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #14

I ran Eternabond tape on both front and rear cap to roof seams side to side. I have white tape coming down the sides a bit contrasting with my silver paint, but function over form for me. Also found leaks from old caulking on vertical joint strips above windows and around windows. Yes, check every roof intrusion (bolt, screw, through hole, vent) and caulk regularly. The TV antenna is notorious. Check above any awning tracks and around mirrors and ladder mounts. EVERYTHING! If it hasn't leaked, it will. I have been dry for two years now.

Tags
water