Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #1

Water leak!

I have a 2002 Dolphin 5356-- I have a water leak on the Drivers side window. It's getting inside the wall and leaking out inside where the wall and floor meet. Would it be best to take it to a RV repair place or a regular window repair place ? I cleaned out the weep holes they're ok. I'm thinking it's a seal, so is not it a do it yourself project? Suggestions, please?
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #2

You can fix this yourself.

Buy a roll of blue painters tape from Home Depot.
On the outside of the window tape a nice clean line just above the window seal and around the corners then down the sides for about 10" or so. Then use the link below to run a small bead to seal it up, wetting your finger with some saliva to smooth out. Then remove tape while sealant is still soft. Use saliva on finger one more time for a final gentle smoothing out. Do the same thing in all the inside corners and panes etc. etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Geocel-28100V...ds=RV+pro+seal

Or you can find a window specialty shop and pay for a whole new window and seals + installation.
Perhaps this will be helpful to find a place in your area.
http://www.rvservicereviews.com

Good luck my friend.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:49 AM   #3

Sorry for the dumb question but would I to seal it between the metal of the RV and seal or the glass and seal where they meet or both? Thanks for taking the time to help me.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:03 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Look across the top of the aluminum frame where it meets the fiberglass. It should be caulked across the top and down the front and rear sides a few inches. Cut the old caulk out and re apply. The tape mentioned earlier will help you have a clean line after caulking. Instead of saliva you can put some water in a spray bottle with a big squirt of dish soap to smooth it out with you finger.
Make sure the caulk you use will bond to aluminum and fiberglass.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp View Post
Sorry for the dumb question but would I to seal it between the metal of the RV and seal or the glass and seal where they meet or both? Thanks for taking the time to help me.
Quote:
Both.
And a soapy water solution is another good solution to gently smooth out the Pro Seal but I would not spray it directly on the widow or sealant. Just make the solution in a cup, then dip your finger in it as needed. The purpose of a little soapy water or saliva on the tip of your finger is so your finger tip will glide across the sealant and not stick or pull on the sealant.

The link for the product I provided will work fine on the surfaces you have. Just be sure to clean everything well first like with alcohol, apply tape, then seal, remove tape, final smooth out, don't touch it for a couple of days. It will probably take a good 48hrs. to firm up and cure, especially in the winter when temps are cool. Best to do this when you'll have temps 75º or more for a couple of days.

I'm attaching a couple of pics of to show you how I resealed all my bay doors a couple of years ago as an example of how to apply the tape so you can achieve a nice clean seal line. I used a different sealing product on my bay doors but the process is the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bay-door-1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	230696   Click image for larger version

Name:	bay-door-2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	230697  

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #6

Yikes!

I took the RV to a dealer to do a Air seal tec. test they say they found about 6 places that leaks $229.00 for that test! $1000.00 to clean it up and reseal. GOOD GRIEF!! Can you put seal on when it's in the 40's or 50's? I can do the seal myself but I don't have a garage, so I'll have to do it outside! Is there a special sealant that you can use when it's cold.? I have always used The self leveling type that you get from the RV parts store. Thanks for the help!!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:01 PM   #7

Quote:
I took the RV to a dealer to do a Air seal tec. test they say they found about 6 places that leaks $229.00 for that test! $1000.00 to clean it up and reseal. GOOD GRIEF!! Can you put seal on when it's in the 40's or 50's? I can do the seal myself but I don't have a garage, so I'll have to do it outside! Is there a special sealant that you can use when it's cold.? I have always used The self leveling type that you get from the RV parts store. Thanks for the help!!
I picked the RV up and they said they needed 5 tubes of the self leveling stuff for the cap strip and 2 others for around the windows like you showed, 2 tubes for 2 windows? and 5 tubes of the self leveling to put over the strip that is over the cap? I have EternaBond tape there now, he wants to remove it then use the sealer, he said there was a bubble there when he applied the soapy water when they ran the test. By the way he said the water is coming in just where you said, between side and where the window frame meet, They also that some water might be coming through where the running lights are mounted, could that be true? Thanks for the help guys! Guess you all know what I'll be doing tomorrow!!!
Old 01-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #8

Quote:
I picked the RV up and they said they needed 5 tubes of the self leveling stuff for the cap strip and 2 others for around the windows like you showed, 2 tubes for 2 windows? and 5 tubes of the self leveling to put over the strip that is over the cap? I have EternaBond tape there now, he wants to remove it then use the sealer, he said there was a bubble there when he applied the soapy water when they ran the test. By the way he said the water is coming in just where you said, between side and where the window frame meet, They also that some water might be coming through where the running lights are mounted, could that be true? Thanks for the help guys! Guess you all know what I'll be doing tomorrow!!!
Yes the running lights are an issue easy to fix just remove and use gray putty tape Or dicor. I had a window leak on the passenger side it was the caulking directly above the window that comes down from the roof the caulk was bad just remove and resealed problem taken care of.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #9

Just wanted to thank everyone for the great advice on fixing the leak I had, here in March no leak. Thanks again, Denny.

Tags
leak, water, water leak