Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #1

What do you use for TV reception & Wifi?

For 10 years I have carried a Directv dish and used an antilog box converter for my old built-in TV (which still works perfectly). Directv no longer supports the box I have and the new equipment requires a new much larger dish. I have given a day of my life to them waiting for service only to find they sent the wrong equipment, etc, ect, ect.

We do not travel like before, I watch very little TV and do not want the hassle or work of installing a new HD TV so what are people using to bring in news and average programs? I tried my antenna and got nothing, but that could be wiring after all this time.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated for TV and Wifi.

thanks, Sandi

PS. It is not the cost of the TV but getting someone to actually do the removal, installation, and woodwork.

lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2021, 08:09 PM   #2

I've been using this setup the last couple years:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has a few annoyances (takes a 10-15 minutes to find the signal sometimes) but works ok otherwise. I usually just start it up first thing when we arrive somewhere and go about with my other chores while it's looking for the satellite signal. Usually by the time I'm done, it's ready to go. Being portable I can move it around if I need to find a place where I can get a signal. It worked with my old CRT TV too using an adapter of the type it sounds like you already have.

If the satellite doesn't work because of trees or other obstructions I can usually find some local channels with the over-the-air antenna. Keep in mind that OTA TV signals are digital now, so if yours is an older TV it might not pick up any local channels from the antenna.

I replaced the old CRT TV in my Dolphin with a new 32" LED model for $100. Though I understand that you don't want to go through this hassle, it is a worthwhile upgrade if you can find someone to do it for you. It took over 100 lbs out of the front overhead cabinet too. Failing that, you could just get a small TV that you can mount on a table. Here's what I did:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tv-...on-498385.html

I also bought this WiFi booster earlier this year. I connected it to a standard home wifi router. I attach the booster to a piece of PVC pipe, zip-tie that to my moho's ladder and point it towards the park's antenna:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We took a 5-week trip back in April and I only needed it twice. Most times the signal wasn't the problem. When the wifi was bad it was usually because the park had too many users for the amount of bandwidth they had feeding their network. I used my cell-phone's wifi hotspot capability a couple times too. It's good to have options.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:00 PM   #3

I use this for WiFi and stream wherever I go

https://5gstore.com/product/9070_pep..._br1_cat6.html
Old 07-14-2021, 10:05 PM   #4

I use a regular TV antennae on a mast I bought from Amazon. I use a flagpole buddy to support the mast.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:47 AM   #5

Thank you, CamJam1 for a detailed reply, Massparanori, and RetiredbutWorking
for sharing what you use.

After spending over 9 hours waiting for the non-repairman, back on the phone with Directv Customer service I may have discovered a short-term solution with a receiver box on one of our TVs. I have not set it up yet but will and let them install a new antenna and box for that TV. Part of all the confusion is we have Directv connections in outbuildings and their programs/policies now do not support that setup on one account.

I may be asking my children and grandchildren for time and energy to remove the old TV for my birthday or Christmas. Although that is a can of worms I really do not want to open. Nothing is easy.....

Sandi
Old 07-15-2021, 07:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
For 10 years I have carried a Directv dish and used an analog box converter for my old built-in TV (which still works perfectly).
If the converter box is only that, digital to analog, you may need a tuner/converter to actually tune in OTA digital signals and convert them to low res analog for your old TV. Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CX2VT5...f6d7fcb9b60012

I don't know what you're using for a TV antenna, but a cheap rabbit ears with UHF loop unit is available all over the place, including big box stores. https://www.amazon.com/Circular-Tabl...6354120&sr=8-3

Not as good as a directional antenna on the roof, of course, but if you just want to try to get it going, and if you're not too far away from the transmitters, it's worth a shot.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
Old 07-21-2021, 05:56 AM   #7

RV Trip Wizard
I gave up on the big guys, DirecTv and dish. I use a roku stick and a subscription to YouTubeTv.com. For about $60 bucks I can get tv at home and on the road. I bought
a used ZTE phone from Amazon (about$40) and an unlimited data plan from Verizon Visible ($40 per month) for WiFi hotspot. To hook up more than one device to the phone hotspot, a hub can be added for about $30. Anywhere there is a Verizon signal, I have tv and internet.
Gunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunshot View Post
I gave up on the big guys, DirecTv, and dish. I use a roku stick and a subscription to YouTubeTv.com. For about $60 bucks I can get tv at home and on the road. I bought
a used ZTE phone from Amazon (about$40) and an unlimited data plan from Verizon Visible ($40 per month) for WiFi hotspot. To hook up more than one device to the phone hotspot, a hub can be added for about $30. Anywhere there is a Verizon signal, I have tv and internet.
Thank you for the info I'm not familiar with the ZTE phone but will definitely check out your setup. ATT is my carrier but I was very happy with Verizon in the past.

Sandi
Old 07-21-2021, 09:58 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use visible with a GLiNet router (see the thread in the tech section) Each TV in the coach has a Roku. We can also stream from a computer using the same service.
I completely removed the dish and antenna on the roof.
-J
miatawnt2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:46 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunshot View Post
I gave up on the big guys, DirecTv and dish. I use a roku stick and a subscription to YouTubeTv.com. For about $60 bucks I can get tv at home and on the road. I bought
We do exactly the same thing but use Consumer Cellular. Has worked great the last 18 months. I also bought a WeBoost for the cell signal. Gives at least one extra bar of service.

Al
Old 07-23-2021, 10:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRosebud View Post
We do exactly the same thing but use Consumer Cellular. Has worked great the last 18 months. I also bought a WeBoost for the cell signal. Gives at least one extra bar of service.

Al
Surprised you guys can reliably stream video over Verizon, Consumer Cellular etc. Certainly not the case where I live or at most of the parks we frequent, but between Dish and OTA antenna we get TV most places.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:05 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Surprised you guys can reliably stream video over Verizon, Consumer Cellular etc. Certainly not the case where I live or at most of the parks we frequent, but between Dish and OTA antenna we get TV most places.
We've not had a problem yet. Minimal buffering. We head out this morning for 5 weeks, going to western NY, then Lake George, then VT/NH, Maine, Western MA, then home, so I'll you you know if we have any issues on this trip.

Al
Old 07-24-2021, 04:41 AM   #13

We use the Winegard Sensar IV antenna for OTA TV, park cable where available, and iPhones or Park WIFI for accessing the Internet. While you don't want the hassle of swapping your old analog TV for a digital one, it really is your best item to spend money on for a host of reasons. No analog to digital converter box, much much better picture quality, built in WIFI support when available, and if done properly, you can use the space occupied by the old TV for additional storage.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:26 AM   #14

I quit satellite after 23 yrs.
I don’t miss the $150 bill
I use OTA at home, 25 channels.
I use OTA a in the RV, works good if near a OTA antenna, most campgrounds are.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi