Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #1

What should we be aware of - 2007 Tropical T350

Hello,

We're looking at purchasing a 2007 National Tropical T350 Diesel pusher. It's not exactly close to us, so we can't just go check it out ourselves, but will do if things continue to look promising.

There have been 2 owners. It's been at a dealer's for 2 years now. They've held it in a secure lot, but unshaded, unprotected from summers and harsh winters.

It's got about 42K miles on it.

Engine and generator (~400 hours' use) turned over regularly to avoid "lot rot" (as per dealer). While user manuals are available (Yay!), maintenance records are not. We don't know if recalls were addressed. Dealer states that "everything works well", and that they will check everything again, including engine, generator and all appliances work well before sale.

The tires are 2 years old. Changed just before going to the dealer for sale. They have been unprotected from elements. Dealer says they look good, but I'm concerned that there's a difference between "looking good" and "being sound".

Dealer states there's no delamination, but there is a bit of cracking in the gel coat.

It's a bit on the high side, price wise.

What should we be aware of if we were to go forward with the purchase? Are there any specific things we should ask the dealer before arranging a trip to go see and/or purchase?

Any and all information would be great.

Thank you!
vavroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spend more time talking to the FORMER OWNER than you do talking to the Dealer. 2 years on the Dealer lot!....could be way over priced. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Spend more time talking to the FORMER OWNER than you do talking to the Dealer

Thank you. But... I have no access to the former owner. :(

Apart from price (we're ready to bargain hard), is there anything in particular we have to worry about?
Old 06-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Dealer knows who the former owner is, maybe BOTH of them.. If they refuse to give you that info, Then I would not purchase the Coach! Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
If they refuse to give you that info, Then I would not purchase the Coach!

Ohhh, interesting thought. Thank you. I'll ask.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:26 AM   #6

We bought a 2005 Tropical 351 we are very happy with it but there will be normal things that go but with that said have them check the stabilizer jacks, and exhaust. We had an incident this past weekend with a hole in the exhaust pipe that melted the air intake. Also we had the dealer clear coat our unit before we bought due to checking in the gel coat. Also have them check the age of the batteries. We love our but have found it can be a money pit. Good Luck.
Smhallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #7

Thank you for the info! We really love that series of rigs.

This particular one, however, is a no go.

We asked for up to date photos as the photos we'd seen were taken when the RV was originally brought to the dealer. New photos show clear signs of extensive rust (not just surface), basement door seals gone, etc. They let it sit for a couple years exposed to elements and did nothing to it. That couple with a few other things means we're not touching it.

But we *are* looking for equivalent.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:01 AM   #8

It is working on its 3rd birthday on the lot? It's either grossly overpriced or has some "issues" or both. Unless you can buy it for around wholesale, keep looking. But before you even make an offer spend several hours going through the mechanical and electrical as well as checking for water and rodent damage.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
It is working on its 3rd birthday on the lot? It's either grossly overpriced or has some "issues" or both.

Yes, working towards 3rd birthday on lot. We are not buying it.

The dealer said that Class A's are really unpopular in the plains (it lives in Saskatoon). And I'd heard that elsewhere. But... yeah. Something iffy there.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #10

What should we be aware of - 2007 Tropical T350

Hi, I have an 06 T-351 & it came with a host of issues that required my attention & $$ to repair which gave me a unique perspective so here’s what I recommend.
Look at the batteries dates $3000 to replace them, check tires dates over 5 years old they too will need to be replaced also $3000
Look closely at the basement frame underneath the coach for rusting, if you see bulging on the frame push on it with your finger, it will push in if the rust is bad.
Look at the belt seam between the coach & basement doors outside below refrigerator for signs of delamination ( bubbling )this would most likely be caused by the defrost line not installed correctly, to correct the line it would have to be re routed down through the basement under the coach, but almost impossible to repair the delamination.
Check the slide out gaps for uniformity, also very difficult to repair if the opening has been tweaked.
Have them hook up a hose to the Sani-flush system & turn it on you should hear it working inside of the black tank, if it doesn’t work the back flow preventer valve inside the bathroom wall has been plumbed wrong, not an easy repair involving opening up the walls & switching the pipes.
The time period that our coaches were made the company was in severe financial distress & as a result key employees were lost & manufacturing short cuts were made in my case anyway which the previous owners didn’t catch?
Check for sewage smell inside the coach even faintly because once your using the coach it would be worse with a semi filled black tank, if you find any of the issues that I have mentioned & still wish to purchase it I have given you some good ammunition to lower the price greatly. Good luck
tropically is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:32 PM   #11

Thanks for that. We ended up getting a Newmar Kountry Star because there was too much iffy with this one.