Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #1

What tire pressure do your run?

I have a 2005 National Seabreeze 1341 that has 245/70/19.5 tires. The sticker on the doorway says to run 85 pounds air pressure in both front and back wheels. The rig is new to us but we find that it is very rough on the bumbs and wonder if running a little lower air pressure is ok (say about 80 pounds?). Please let me know what air pressure you run on yours. FYI the sticker also says the weight on the front axel is 8500 and the back axel 14,500 pounds, but I really dont know what different that makes.

Thanks in advance.
John
John Stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #2

The only way you can possibly know what pressure to run in the tires is to weigh the coach, preferably four corners, but at least each axle. Should be weighed fully loaded for travel. Then you go to the inflation chart on the tire manufacturer's website and set your pressure from that table. What the sticker says for weights may or may not be right (probably not) and certainly is based on not loaded for travel and any tire information is generic. If the pressure table says you can run lower pressures based on loaded weight then you can.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
The only way you can possibly know what pressure to run in the tires is to weigh the coach, preferably four corners, but at least each axle. Should be weighed fully loaded for travel. Then you go to the inflation chart on the tire manufacturer's website and set your pressure from that table. What the sticker says for weights may or may not be right (probably not) and certainly is based on not loaded for travel and any tire information is generic. If the pressure table says you can run lower pressures based on loaded weight then you can.
I agree with everything you stated. Last year, I had all four-corners weighed individually, front and rear axles separately and combined, and both right and left sides. (Front and rear axles per side.) You'll find out in a hurry if you're overweight, and one thing you could come across is being within limit for the total gross, or okay for front and rear axles, but find out the weight isn't evenly displaced on the left or right side. You might find that you have to move that 'everything but the kitchen sink' in the cargo bays around for better balance. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I also run the 19.5 and the max psi is 125psi and the dealer said to run 110-115 psi. I have a 30' Sea Breeze.
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #5

I run 80 and 85 in my MH. How much does the Scout weigh? This is my weight rating and actual weight.

Front Gross Axle Weight Rating 7,000 lbs.
Front Gross Axle Actual Weight 5,600 lbs
Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating 13,500 lbs.
Rear Gross Axle Actual Weight 13,120 lbs.
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 20,500 lbs.
Gross Vehicle Actual Weight 18,720 lbs.
Gross Combined Weight Rating 26,000 lbs.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've only had the Scout a few weeks and have not had it weighed yet but this is the spec.

WEIGHTS (POUNDS) SB300
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 22,000
Gross Combined Weight Rating 26,000
Front Gross Axle Weight Rating 7,000
Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating 15,000
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 14,890
Maximum Carrying Capacity 5,859
Old 03-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #7

Interesting differences in weights.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looked at the sticker in the coach and it says.

GVWR 18000
GAWR Front 7000
GAWR Rear 11000
With the size tires I have, 85psi

Got it weighed today.
Front 5740
Rear 9860
Total weight loaded 15,600.
The dealer that sold me the unit and they just put on new tires and he said to run 110-115 psi.

I did notice today going to the camp ground, that it steer very easy but couldn't really feel the road so I am assuming that I have too much air.
Couldn't fine the manufacture tire chart but on the side of the tire it says, do not exceed 120psi.

Any thought.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Over-inflation The Norm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryN514 View Post

GVWR 18000
GAWR Front 7000
GAWR Rear 11000

Got it weighed today.
Front 5740
Rear 9860
The dealer that sold me the unit and they just put on new tires and he said to run 110-115 psi.

I did notice today going to the camp ground, that it steer very easy but couldn't really feel the road so I am assuming that I have too much air.
Couldn't fine the manufacture tire chart but on the side of the tire it says, do not exceed 120psi.

Any thought.

This discussion rages all over the forum. The sticker is for the rig's initial certification; it may or may not have something to do with the tires currently installed. You notice a margin (yours is slimmer than some) between your actual weight and the certified weight of the rig. Further, there is a wider margin between what your rig asks of the tires and what the DOT certifies them to carry. This is a good thing.

You've already embarked down the correct road: you've got your axle-end weights. Now, pull up the manufacturer's table for the exact make, model and size of the tires on your rig at the moment, apply the weights and <voila!> the engineers' exact pressure for the tire. I'm not even satisfied then, and IR-scan the tire at rest stops to make sure it is riding at 120F or less for extra safety.

The one good thing about all these "my daddy always inflated his to," or "___ told me to inflate 'em to" testimonials you'll hear is that, usually, they inolve over-inflating. And, as long as the sidewall value is never exceeded, those higher pressures are going to be fine. A little less traction, maybe some accelerated tread wear and/or rough ride, but they won't be harmed by too much air. Under-inflation, on the other hand, is extremely dangerous and must be avoided. Maybe the chance of bleeding down into an under-inflated condition is why there is so much folklore out there, about tire pressures.

Thanks for a beneficial topic that supports the true purpose of iRV2!
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryN514 View Post

GVWR 18000
GAWR Front 7000
GAWR Rear 11000

Got it weighed today.
Front 5740
Rear 9860

Any thought.
My thoughts are you could easily run those tires at 85psi.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The sticker from Newmar says: 85 psi, so - we run at 90 psi
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #12

Any dealer that tells you to run a specific psi close to the max psi stated on the tire is wrong, absolutely wrong.
If you have not weighed all four corners of the MH and looked at the tire manufacturers weight vs psi charts your tires are not inflated to the correct pressure.
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
The Inflation Loading - Goodyear RV
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Picking up our first one next week.
Where can I get it weighed at and how does "four corners" work ?
debrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #14

You would get more suggestions for weighing if you started a new topic on the subject.
In the area you live what industry weighs trucks?
I am in Texas and went to the local cattle feed store. They have a scale for weighing trucks before and after they are loaded. Talked to the guy and told him what I needed. I drove up to the weighing platform to one side and stopped with one front tire on the scale, up a little and got the rear. Turned around and repeated for the other side. I got four weight numbers and he didn't even charge me anything, he thought it was interesting.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote