Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #1

Where does a 2001 Islander fall as far as class?

I am loving a 2001 Islander w/ 330 Cummins that is in my city, how does the Islander rank in the National line?

This model only has around 37k miles, has some paint work that needs to be done. The guy is going to re-paint the graphics on the passenger side. Asking price is 52.9K I have always liked this type of rig.

Thanks for any advice on this unit.
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #2

Islander

I really like mine, I bought it last Oct, when National introduced it in 2001, it was their flagship, the top of their line, they made them 4 or 5 years. I think Pacifica became their flagship.
Retiredblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Top of the line-up. Look the unit over carefully, if my memory is correct many Islanders had structural problems.

Love NRV products, but I don't believe the Islanders lived up to the rest of the NRV line-up.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #4

I will tell you I did notice one thing, I was looking down the right side of the coach and saw what looked to be some waves. I walked back to investigate further and could see the "outline" of the diagonal structure braces, I pushed on them to see if the outer panel moved, it seem secure. I asked the owner (independant sales person/owner) what was wrong and of course he said "nothing it just shows where the structural frame is"

Now I have seen this on other rigs before but only when it is really cold and the condensation (or whatever causes the frame) but didn't seem normal to me.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Where does the National Tradewinds fall in their line up? My friend is looking at a 2000 37' with the 300 CAT engine.

Are they still in business?

Dave
Old 06-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
HI All.. I am fairly new to National but as far as I know the Islander falls in line with a Tradewinds LTC for that year(2001), I'm pretty sure everything is comprable to the interior of the LTC ...chassis is different(dynomax) but power plants are probably the same.Denochs.... 2001 was the year National changed their Freightliner chassis to the raised rail xc model to afford a bit more storage, and no they are no longer around but parts seem fairly easy to find.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNDLC View Post
Now I have seen this on other rigs before but only when it is really cold and the condensation (or whatever causes the frame) but didn't seem normal to me.

I agree, condesation is visable on cold mornings, but I have not seen evidence of structural members.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
I will tell you I did notice one thing, I was looking down the right side of the coach and saw what looked to be some waves. I walked back to investigate further and could see the "outline" of the diagonal structure braces, I pushed on them to see if the outer panel moved, it seem secure. I asked the owner (independant sales person/owner) what was wrong and of course he said "nothing it just shows where the structural frame is"

Well, it is normal, my bounder did it and I was glad, got to see where to steel was so I knew where to drill inside when putting up something that needed secure.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #9

Quote:
I am loving a 2001 Islander w/ 330 Cummins that is in my city, how does the Islander rank in the National line?

This model only has around 37k miles, has some paint work that needs to be done. The guy is going to re-paint the graphics on the passenger side. Asking price is 52.9K I have always liked this type of rig.

Thanks for any advice on this unit.
I know this doesn't answer the question you asked, but it's important! It may be a good deal. Or, it could be a dog!

It doesn't have anywhere near enough miles on it for being 10+ years old. That means it hasn't been driven very much, which infers that it's sat in someone's yard or in a storage lot most of the time. Motor vehicles, especially motorhomes that set for long periods of time decompose rather than wear out.

Here are a few of the items I've heard about on these forums. Undoubtedly, others will add to the list.

1. Check all the seals in the drive train. If these aren't regularly lubricated by monthly (approximately) exercise they tend to age, dry out, crack, and leak.
  2. Fuel that's allowed to set unused in the tank for long periods of time undergoes a chemical change that produces all sorts of bad things for injectors, valves, etc. If your guy hasn't driven the unit and refilled the tank within the last few months, maybe you should make arrangements for having the fuel tank drained and refilled before you move it. Also, be sure to change the fuel filter ASAP.
  3. Plastic plumbing parts in the coach's water and sewer system get brittle and often begin to leak.
  4. The caulking/sealer used by NRV to seal roof seams and when installing roof vents, the TV antenna, etc. dries out and loses its elasticity with time and exposure to sunlight and the weather. Check these out very carefully. (I'm having a particularly bad time with leaks on my 2002 Dolphin.)
  5. There is a date code on the tires that specifies when the tires were made. A tire dealership will be able to explain the date code (or you could search for the term on this forum). Check the age of the tires. Tires have a "shelf life" like a jar of peach preserves. They shouldn't be used after they reach the 7 year mark regardless of how good they look. (Some would say 5 years, but if you take good care of your tires, and they aren't too worn, you can stretch it a little.) It will cost you something around $3,000.00 to replace the set of 6. Figure this in as part of the initial cost of buying the moho.
Best of luck. Enjoy your rig.
Spiderman of Calgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #10

One of our best friends purchased a 2001 Islander a couple years ago and they are extremely pleased with it. In the NRV lineup, the Islander was a step above the Tradwinds LTC, which we have. The Islander is built on a dynomax (sp?) chassis manufactured by Country Coach for NRV.

Putting the two coaches side by side, and looking in the bay area, you can see how the structure of the Islander is far superior to the Tradewinds. Also the bay doors are far superior. If there is a drawback, the only one I can see is that the Islander does not have a rear ladder. Our friends got around this by buying a $225 telescoping ladder that he carries in the bay.

About six years ago we fell in love with an Islander. The only reason we didn't buy it is we couldn't afford it.

You might want to spend a couple hundred dollas and have a technician look at it and no problems were found, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Larry
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2001 Islander

RUNDLC,

As stated by a previous poster, the Islander was a top of the line NRV product for its short life. NRV made them from 2001 to 2003. They were a heavier duty DP than the Tradewinds as they are on the Dynomax chassis which was made by Country Coach. NRV Holdings owned CC for several years until NRV went into bankruptcy.

NRV made great coaches and the Islander was one of them. Unfortunately NRV closed its doors in November of 2007. Don't let that stop you from buying it, as there are MANY 'orphan' coaches out there, and anything can be repaired by the right mechanic/body shop/painter, etc.

If you can, have an inspection by an independant mechanic to check for problems. If they are minimal, or the dealer is willing to fix, and the deal is good, go for it!

Happy Trails!

Darryl Sobelman
Past President, The Dolphins
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies, The guy sold it! Oh well maybe next time.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 AM   #13

Islander

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, The guy sold it! Oh well maybe next time.
See! You waited to long, "much to do about nothing". People act like these things are made of fragile paper, their made to run, and to sit, the engineers knew they would sit a long time. I start mine up every month weather I'm on the road or not, run the generator a hour or so every month, don't know what was done to it before I got it, it was a bank repo. I like it and I keep it up.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
ditto for me. When I am on the boat for my 30 day trip I DW start the main engine and run for an hour, same for the genset but run it 3 hours with a load.
Took awhile to get her in that habit. We live in the country and I installed a 50amp pedestal and a dedicated water line.

I winterize the coach every year but i still keep it on shore power when not in use.

Blade is correct about the engineered to sit, vast majority do an awful lot of sitting. I looked at one coach that was in a storage lot in Fort Worth, the couple lives where they take a dim view of RVs in the driveway,. When we went to the coach it was the first time he had actually been inside in 10 months. Worse, the last time they used it, they did not prep for the storage and it smelled like it.

Needless to say we passed on that one. Plenty of coaches on the market to take the first thing that pops up.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote