Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #1

Question Windows Fogging Up

Our 2007 SeaBreeze LX front side windows. both right and left, keep fogging up to the point I can't see the rearview mirrors. I believe these windows are double pane and probably have moisture seeping in.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a similar problem and what was done about it.

Hate to have to replace these windows. Do any of you know of a quick fix short of replacing them? Thanks for responding.
JimdeVos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 07:06 PM   #2

Generally, there is no "quick fix" for fogged windows

Been there. Fogged windows that obscure the rear view mirrors. Others may post their differing experiences with great success with quick fixes, but my experience is that replacement with new insulated glass is the best option.

Quick fixes involve drilling holes into the glass panes, injecting a cleaning fluid between the glass, drying the interior space (air or alcohol or both, generally), and when dry, sealing the holes with a semi-permeable plug. It looks great if the glass hasn't been etched internally by chemical contamination, but the leaky glass problem isn't fixed--just remediated for a while. It will fog again, despite assurances to the contrary, as the desiccant between the panes has been saturated and will never be effective in the long term in its unsealed environment. Because while the glass is unfogged, the cause of the fogging hasn't been fixed.

Replacement ain't cheap. We removed our entire window and brought it to a commercial glass shop. They removed the damaged panes, made new double pane windows and reassembled the window.

We had to deal with the removal and re-installation of the window, but it wasn't anything beyond a common sense activity. If you can flush your black tank without needing a full body shower afterwards, you can remove and install an RV window.

I wasn't cheap, as I said. It cost $200+ each for fogged and failed window pane. But as I say to folks who ask, owning a motorhome home costs money, and fixing foggy windows where you can't see your mirrors is a good place to spend some.

Good luck with getting your windows fixed. I hope you have great (and reasonably priced) success!
Notayurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window