Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Windshield Gaps

Hello! Total newbies to RVing!! We have a new to us 1999 National Tradewinds 7372, we flew to TN to pick it up and drove it over 2000 miles home. Noticed lots of wind noise on drive home and am now going through RV with flashlight/fine tooth comb! Have found that windshield has some gaps on passenger side (coming down the side - not on top) where I can slide paper through it! Driver's side has had some kind of black sealer put on it. Question: Put some kind of sealer on window (if so - what kind) or is this really dangerous and should go to shop and have whole windshield gasket replaced?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2020, 02:52 PM   #2

In my '94 Bounder, I had gaps in the same place. Over time they grew but since I was already, by that time, in Elkhart Indiana, I drove over to Duncan Glass and they pulled the glass out on both sides, cleaned up everything and then put new black sealant in. They reused the rubber gaskets with lube. They told me during the quote that it would take 3 hours so they needed $300 but I came back from my bike ride 45 minutes later after I watched them get started and they were done. But no discount. GRRRR.

I figured I'd done mine by racking the RV over inclines and driveways too often. When I'd drive up a driveway at an angle, like at a WM store, I would see the gap increase than decrease. So I tried hitting them full frontal from then on.

That black goo is bedding caulking for big sheets of glass and it's suppose to harden and be a glue like substance I believe. But in my case, whenever it rained or there was high humidity, that new goo still streaked the front of the RV. Took years for it to completely dry. It was a dry and warm day the day it was installed too. I never got a satisfactory answer of why it still streaked years later. Everyone would just shake their heads and say, "It should have dried by now". Ha!

I never had any more gaps over the next 9 years of ownership though.

Any glass shop that works on trucks (stay away from glass chains) should be able to reset the glass for you.

Your '99 would have much of the same equipment my diesel '94 had so I'll give you a link to my blog for reference. Had to fix lots of stuff on that old beast: '94 Fleetwood Bounder Diesel 36'

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:24 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
National used Sikaflex 255FC sealant on the 2005 Dolphin windshields. If you have the owners manual will call out the sealants . If no manual the Sekaflex or any comparable sealant should do the job .
Old 07-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWnow7372 View Post
Hello! Total newbies to RVing!! We have a new to us 1999 National Tradewinds 7372, we flew to TN to pick it up and drove it over 2000 miles home. Noticed lots of wind noise on drive home and am now going through RV with flashlight/fine tooth comb! Have found that windshield has some gaps on passenger side (coming down the side - not on top) where I can slide paper through it! Driver's side has had some kind of black sealer put on it. Question: Put some kind of sealer on window (if so - what kind) or is this really dangerous and should go to shop and have whole windshield gasket replaced?
Where are you based out of?
ATSpringHil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:17 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gorrilla duct tape will work temporarily, Windshields will need to be reset with urethane sealant and possibly new seals. Use one back jack to twist the coach until the window fits. If you have the original TV ditch it for a lighter one. Better yet to get a windshield hoop and x-bracing. This is a known problem that can be mitigated by careful leveling and driving or modifications to the coach. Did my own mods and the coach has been great on dirt roads and off camber campsites.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f274/x-b...op-441724.html
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/win...ng-346102.html
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rem...-a-348920.html
Old 07-13-2020, 03:12 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lenning View Post
National used Sikaflex 255FC sealant on the 2005 Dolphin windshields. If you have the owners manual will call out the sealants . If no manual the Sekaflex or any comparable sealant should do the job .
Thank you!
Old 07-13-2020, 03:12 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulers View Post
Gorrilla duct tape will work temporarily, Windshields will need to be reset with urethane sealant and possibly new seals. Use one back jack to twist the coach until the window fits. If you have the original TV ditch it for a lighter one. Better yet to get a windshield hoop and x-bracing. This is a known problem that can be mitigated by careful leveling and driving or modifications to the coach. Did my own mods and the coach has been great on dirt roads and off camber campsites.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f274/x-b...op-441724.html
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/win...ng-346102.html
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rem...-a-348920.html
Thank you so much!
Old 07-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSpringHil View Post
Where are you based out of?
Northern Washington State

Tags
wind, windshield