RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Windshield replacement...tips for dealing with insurance company ?

The driver's side upper windshield corner has just now popped out of the gasket and two huge cracks have appeared. Reading out policy with Allied/Nationwide, we have the "safety glass replacement coverage" endorsement. $100. deductible.

So far, so good. Not sure how this happened: hitting a pothole at 55 mph, but that was a year ago..... Going in and out of gas stations sometimes twists the coach....It was sitting in the sun for the last two weeks and it was HOT, around 90 or more.....Jacks are never used.......Have gone over railroad tracks, going and coming to casa about 10 times in the last year.

Guess my best approach is to volunteer nothing to adjuster or repair shop.
Hopefully, shop will take pics and forward to Allied and get approval in return.

Any tips to make this an easy claim ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #2

We have Allied insurance. A few years ago our windshield was struck by a rock and made a crack about 10 inches long. When we got home from our trip we called Allied. They had us call the company that handles glass replacement for them. That company asked us how long the crack was, and upon answering, they said they would get back to us. I believe it was the next day they called and had set up an appointment with a local company they do business with. No problem with the replacement. A very good experience as all of our experiences have been with Allied over the 18 years with have been with them.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Jacks are never used.......
What more could you do? Right after purchase, I flexed my rig using the jacks - cracked popped both windshields. $1700 bill (I had a $500 Deductible).

You have coverage and they should cover it. No need to apologize.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:07 PM   #4

Call the number you should have to report the claim to your insurance company. You will most likely find them helpful. Simply tell them what you know, that you're not sure what caused it to popout and crack. They may already have a list of glass replacement companies to contact.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
All seems to be going well. Got a claim# and email from agent.

He said.....in 80% of his claims....repair of a split windshield results in damage to other windshield. And, Nationwide probably will not cover this.

Who has had their split windshields replaced....and did anything bad happen to the good windshield ?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #6

I have heard that you should let the adhesive set for 2 days before driving, I am in Alaska and have a smashed windshield and intend to replace it when I return home in Maryland.

I would like a company to come to my house and do the replacement inside my RV barn.

Has anyone done this?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

He said.....in 80% of his claims....repair of a split windshield results in damage to other windshield. And, Nationwide probably will not cover this.

Who has had their split windshields replaced....and did anything bad happen to the good windshield ?
When I bought my coach, you could tell that the drivers side windshield has been replaced, how? because the blue tint on the top does not match the other side, it is faded

But this could depend on the coach as well if the other side will survive
Old 07-08-2017, 06:53 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had a 01 Surfside, passenger side cracked ( rock ) off the road. Had it replaced at local glass shop glass was a perfect match. No other problems. Duncan systems handled the glass and insurance company for me.
Richard S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:53 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had a big crack in my drivers side and they were able to come to the house to replace it. The labor charge was $750 to pull the left one and replace and to pull the right one so it didn't break while resetting the left one.. They did replace both seals, one of which I paid for and on my Comp, I only paid the $100 ded for everything else..
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

We had both sides of our split windshield broken and replaced a couple of years ago. Not three months later we got another rock on the driver's side and it split almost immediately. I waited until the end of that trip to have it replaced about 4 months later. While it was in for the replacement I talked to the glass shop, same ones who replaced both earlier, and told them of a bad wind whistle on the unbroken side. They examined it and found it had shifted resulting in an air leak. They examined the unbroken windshield and found no chips, then removed it, adjusted and resealed the rubber seal and reinstalled it along with the replacing the broken one.

All went well with no damage to the unbroken windshield, even after removal and reinstall. If you have any chips in the unbroken windshield, it may be more problematic.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:42 AM   #11

My windshield attracted a rock yesterday. I now have artistic, vertical lines on the passenger side...

Do I need to change it right away? The cracks are not in my way....

Hate to not be able to use the motorhome waiting for a windshield....
Yarddroid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, insurance, replace, replacement