Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 08:34 PM   #1

Wingman v/s Jack antennas

I have an '07 National with the standard Winegard Batman antenna.

My question is where do you get the most bang for your buck... going with the Wingman attachment or would I be better off by replacing to the Jack Antenna?

Costs seem to range from in the $30-$40 range for the wingman and $60-$70 for the Jack.

Looking for a cheap improvement. Any thoughts and experiences?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtrafl View Post
I have an '07 National with the standard Winegard Batman antenna.
My question is where do you get the most bang for your buck... going with the Wingman attachment or would I be better off by replacing to the Jack Antenna?
Costs seem to range from in the $30-$40 range for the wingman and $60-$70 for the Jack.
Looking for a cheap improvement. Any thoughts and experiences?
Thanks!
When I compared the two...my 19 year old Winegard batwing, (with the $20 Wingman attached), received more far away TV stations than the new King Controls Jack I bought.
Winegard GS-WING Wingman HDTV Antenna at TigerDirect.com
I returned the Jack antenna and got my money back.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:13 PM   #3

Thanks so much Mel! Thanks for the link to the great price too... best I have seen.

Any other comments/experiences out there please don't hesitate to share or point me to an established thread.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In independent lab testing by a fellow forum member posted to these forums the Batwing outperformed the Jack .. I forget how the basic batwing did but when you added the Wingman there was no contest. Batwing + wingman was the best rooftop (NOTE The Rayzer had yet to be releaSed)

Add the Sensar Pro indoor module to the batwing+wingman and ... Well one channel here in S.E. Ga comes in better over the air than on park cable most of the time.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #5

Thanks Guys!

I continue to hear the wingman is the way to go.

Even though my closest RV dealer says otherwise.

I trust the forum!
Old 09-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtrafl View Post
Thanks Guys!
I continue to hear the wingman is the way to go.
Even though my closest RV dealer says otherwise.
I trust the forum!
gjtrafl
Good for you.
IMO, it's always better to trust someone with real world experience...who isn't trying to sell you something.
Mel
'96 Safari... (batwing with Wingman)
Old 09-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #7

Thumbs up

I installed the Jack antenna several months ago in an attempt to improve my reception. It did not improve. Yesterday I installed the Winegard Sensar IV Integrated Amp. Replacement Head and was only picking up UHF stations. Perplexed I ran a test coax out my passenger window to the antenna and hooked it to the back of the amp switch. Searched for channels an got 67 channels. Most of them from Mexico and a few from LA (we are camping at the Silver Strand State Beach in San Diego) Very impressed with the antenna. I also hooked the Jack antenna up with a separate coax and only got UHF, just so we are comparing apples to apples. I tried to replace the existing coax but it is routed from the amp switch to somewhere through the overhead and onto the left side of the coach still looking for a diagram of the coax system....Good luck I recommend the Winegard Sensar IV Integrated Amp. Replacement Head I paid $70 but I bought it at a local RV shop. I saw it on-line for much less.

Bill Hesson
National RV 34' Dolphin
Ford V10 Workhorse Chassis
Alpine Ca (San Diego County)
OS1SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS1SW View Post
I installed the Jack antenna several months ago in an attempt to improve my reception. It did not improve. Yesterday I installed the Winegard Sensar IV Integrated Amp. Replacement Head and was only picking up UHF stations. Perplexed I ran a test coax out my passenger window to the antenna and hooked it to the back of the amp switch. Searched for channels an got 67 channels. Most of them from Mexico and a few from LA (we are camping at the Silver Strand State Beach in San Diego) Very impressed with the antenna. I also hooked the Jack antenna up with a separate coax and only got UHF, just so we are comparing apples to apples. I tried to replace the existing coax but it is routed from the amp switch to somewhere through the overhead and onto the left side of the coach still looking for a diagram of the coax system....Good luck I recommend the Winegard Sensar IV Integrated Amp. Replacement Head I paid $70 but I bought it at a local RV shop. I saw it on-line for much less.

Bill Hesson
National RV 34' Dolphin
Ford V10 Workhorse Chassis
Alpine Ca (San Diego County)
OS1SW
I think the Winegard Sensar IV is nothing more than an original Winegard batwing antenna with a Wingman added.
Me thinks by adding a $20 Wingman to your old batwing you could have saved $50.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
OS1SW
I think the Winegard Sensar IV is nothing more than an original Winegard batwing antenna with a Wingman added.
Me thinks by adding a $20 Wingman to your old batwing you could have saved $50.
Mel
'96 Safari
Mel You are probably right but since I already switched to the Jack antenna the top bracket on the antenna pole was lost or thrown away and the SenSar IV has the bracket molded into the unit.
Bill
OS1SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
In a side-by-side comparison with a fellow RV-r in a site next to us who had the Jack, our Wingman won out hands down. Yeah, I'm sure brand of TV's, wiring, booster (if applicable) & other such things could've impacted the results, but I'm sticking with what works best for us.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna