Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #1

We are relatively new to RVing, only getting into it the last three years, and the furthest east we have been is the Badlands in early October. We are CONSIDERING a trip to western Kentucky to Land of the Lakes to see our daughter who will be working for the Forest Service during this time, and to see some new parts of the country. Because of the time of year, we would head south, then east, to find warmer climes and avoiding as many mountain passes as possible. We don't know anything about the weather this time of year east of Albuquerque, so are we crazy? Any suggestions or comments? Things we should avoid? We would be driving our 32-foot Seabreeze motorhome and towing a car. Our 2 Schnauzers would accompany us.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #2

We are relatively new to RVing, only getting into it the last three years, and the furthest east we have been is the Badlands in early October. We are CONSIDERING a trip to western Kentucky to Land of the Lakes to see our daughter who will be working for the Forest Service during this time, and to see some new parts of the country. Because of the time of year, we would head south, then east, to find warmer climes and avoiding as many mountain passes as possible. We don't know anything about the weather this time of year east of Albuquerque, so are we crazy? Any suggestions or comments? Things we should avoid? We would be driving our 32-foot Seabreeze motorhome and towing a car. Our 2 Schnauzers would accompany us.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would drop south to I80 and head east as far as the weather permits before heading south. If you choose the I 70 route you will be faced with high mountain passes that can be very unpredictable. Granted I80 passes through the mountains, however it's a bit easier than I70. Just watch the weather and be prepared to spend a extra day or two and you will be fine. Be sure to keep enough fuel on to run the generator, blankets, emergency food, water, etc.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #4

I am from Spokane. I am very leary of driving my 1999 Diplomat snow or ice, I imagine that if I lose traction it will turn into a tobagon.
I have made the trip to south Texas 3 times, twice the first of
December and once the first of January. I go down I5 to I10 and then east. I have never found snow or ice on the freeways. Albuquerque is on I40 which is considerably north of I10. I believe you could possibly find winter travel on I40 until you get east of Oklahoma City.
www.weatherbase.com is a web site which will provide average tgemperatures, precipitation and sunshine worldwide. You might find this useful in making travel plans.

Allen
AHENZEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nancy & Bill, welcome to IRV2

Do you have a National coach? If you do, warning, stay off salted roads. We traveled from Baltimore to Cleveland in February, and when we got back no fresh water due to 10 degree weather. Long story short, ruined our front breaks, both mufflers shot, cooling lines for the transmission and so on and I have done major work this summer on the basement framing to stop the rusting.

Next summer I'll also spend time under the coach catching up with bad premature rusting.

Though years ago when we lived in Cincinnati we traveled frequently to KY. My advice is, if the roads are heavily salted, stay off them. Wait a day or two, but don't drive on a salted road.

See our signature below.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Having lived in Albuquerque for quite awhile before coming to Tennessee, I can tell you that the weather is very changable on a moments notice on I-40 through New Mexico. You will experience altitude changes from going to nearly 11,000 feet at Tijeras Pass, (east of Alb on I-40) to more elevated areas west of Alb.
My experience was to go south to I-10 and not worry about the weather. It is a good road, but be prepared not to find alot of stopping places.
Have a safe trip hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Having lived military 4 ½ years Albuquerque and 2 ½ years Alamogordo, I can also attest to Gene's comment about NM weather. Never know day to day or even hour to hour what the weather will be like. I don't really remember so much about snow and ice as I do to the wind, especially if blowing in from the west or north. Vicious stuff for traveling.

Ha, being married to a Tennessean, first year living there was as close to being divorce I ever had because of the changing weather.

Marty
Marty too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #8

Thanks for all the input! I had this posted in another area on IRV2 and did not get one response. To Blue Ribbon: Yes, we have a National Sea Breeze LX 8321, 2005, so we appreciate the tip on salted roads. Is there anything you recommend to protect against salt, besides avoiding it altogether? Anyone know of a good website to check for Interstate weather, altitudes, etc. Thanks again for the feedback!
Old 10-31-2008, 01:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Each state has a web site for road conditions, web cams, weather and road info. Just google it for that state. For example, " Washington Roads".
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote