Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

Winterizing problems

The three years that i have owned my Tradewinds model 7373 i have difficulty keeping the RV antifreeze from going into my hot water tank. I follow all directions given in the manual and also on the valves, but it seems as if all of the Anti-Freeze wants to go into the hot water tank instead of the water lines. Can anyone here give me some help.
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So, if its like my Seebreeze, Their is a water heater bypass valve at the water control panel.. I would suggest the the valve is bad.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Don. If you aren't missing turning the by-pass valve, then it has failed. Or, the handle is moving, but not turning the valve....had it happen to me once. Most older coaches the by-pass valve is located right at the heater accessing it from inside the coach, like on my Dolphin. I assume your TW has it located in a remote, more convienient location.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Most older coaches the by-pass valve is located right at the heater accessing it from inside the coach, like on my Dolphin.
My 99 Dolphin has the by-pass valve is in the utilities bay.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
My 99 Dolphin has the by-pass valve is in the utilities bay.

Chuck
Ain't that sumpthin Must have something to do with your extra 2 feet, 5330 vs 5350 and the designers. Of course not the first time I've seen differences like this in the same model and year coach.

John...
Old 10-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, I would think for the same year the utility compartment would be the same. Like you say probably depends on the length.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
My '07 Sea Breeze, too, seems to have a bypass failure.
New-to-us this year, I was going to winterize it yesterday in anticipation of a sudden cold night. I drained the water heater and left the plug out, like I did for years in my '98 Leprechaun, switched the bypass and the suction levers to their winterizing positions, and started the antifreeze suctioning by turning on the pump. After a bit it started pouring out the water heater drain. Lost a gallon + by that time and it took a while for it to empty.
Is it hard or particularly costly to replace that bypass valve?
carlsojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
No and a good brass one is under $20.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #9

I'd forgo the anti-freeze route altogether and blow out the lines. (If you haven't changed any of the faucets for the type that have the one-way valve in their supply lines, very easy to do. You do need to have a little compressor and an adapter though).

Open and drain the hot water tank, leave the plug out, then start at the furthest water valve away from the water tank, open all the faucets, and blow 25PSI air into that line (mine is the shower hose so that makes it easy). Should empty all your lines. Gravity does most of the work. No messy pink stuff to worry about. Takes all of 15-20 minutes. They even make an adapter to screw into the city water connection to facilitate the process.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you blow out the P-traps or pour anti-freeze in them?

Chuck
Old 10-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I began RVing in 1968 in a 25 foot Class C. I have upgraded 3 times and camped in the cold winters and snow throughout the years and never found the need to winterize having my home in central Calif. Now I travel full time and winter in So Calif, AZ and FL.
I visit the snow when I have little choice but refuse to life in it. My experience in Korea proved to me that cold hurts and heat is just uncomfortable. That is why you'll never find me in MT, MI or New England in the winter.
To those who choose to reside in popsicle states, I salute you.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Jim, thanks!
I already had bought the extra 6 gallons of antifreeze and found, interestingly, that with the malfunctioning valve in the Bypass Heater position the antifreeze would not go to the cold water lines, so I had to reset it to the Water to Heater position. Now, though, I have found a statement in the owner's manual that says Do not place the antifreeze solution in any appliance such as the water heater ... Doing so could destroy the appliances or render them inoperable. I've never heard this warning before. Of course for 8 seasons I had a working bypass in my Class C, but I know other people filled their water heater when they didn't have a bypass and I have never heard of damage.
As to the compressed-air blowing out process, I just have no idea how to even get started. Do RV shops have the attachments? Should I call up a mobile repair guy to do the job? I have a small 150 PSI compressor for use on the tires and it has a knob that lets me limit the pressure it is putting out, which means I could set it at 25 psi I guess. Is that the sort of machine you refer to, Jim?
Jack
carlsojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I also blow mine out with the compressor set to 35 to 40 pounds of pressure. I use one of these for adapting http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36143-Br...xgy_auto_img_y don't forget to step on the flush peddle, I forgot one year and had to replace the valve on the toilet that next spring. I pour antifreeze into the traps but don't blow them out first. Here in Albuquerque we don't get very cold for very long so just mixing the water and antifreeze is plenty to keep them from freezing, your winters may vary.

Here is a picture of the valve in my water bay. The one on the left is the HW Bypass valve. I remove the drain plug on the water heater and it drains enough to prevent freezing.

The first year I used Antifreeze in the lines and the next spring after flushing them out I had foam in the water for the first two or three trips. It sure screwed up the Iced Tea so I went to the blow out method.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3538.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	47344  
Old 10-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
The first year I used Antifreeze in the lines and the next spring after flushing them out I had foam in the water for the first two or three trips. It sure screwed up the Iced Tea so I went to the blow out method.

Dick
The only time I had that problem was the first time I winterized my 5th wheel. Without thinking I put about one half gallon into the fresh water tank. Took forever to get the pink stuff flushed out of the tank, never did it again. Don't do the MH in S. Cali, 5th wheel is in N. AZ at 6100 ft., don't trust just blowing out ths lines.

Chuck

Tags
winter