Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #1

Winterizing questions

Hi,
New member, first post! I purchased a 2004 Tropi-Cal 370 and want to winterize it myself without using compressed air. It appears National made this fairly easy. My concern is the water filter under the galley sink. Manual says to remove it but there is a shutoff valve that looks like it would accomplish the same thing. Am I right to think I can follow directions to drain the fresh water system and then simply shut the valve and then add anti-freeze?
Mogulite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 05:05 AM   #2

Hi and welcome.

You didn't say exactly where this valve is so I can only guess but it sounds like its a valve to shut off the supply line when changing the filter. If so closing that valve would stop the flow of antifreeze to the rest of the system down stream which is what you don't want. Thats likely why the manual says to remove the filter. Can you post a picture for us?
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:13 AM   #3

You want to protect all the piping and equipment, including that downstream from the filter. Closing the inlet valve to the filter does not do this.

If your filter is the canister type, you can shut off the valve, unscrew the sump, remove the filter element and replace the sump, then reopen the valve and fill with antifreeze. This uses more antifreeze than it could. Instead, bypass the canister head by running a short piece of hose (or PEX tubing) in its place.

If your filter is the all-in-one type, remove it and replace with a hose (or PEX tubing).
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #4

Filter location

The filter under the galley sink is only for the filtered water near the galley sink and the ice maker. I think that's why there is a shutoff valve just before the filter.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogulite View Post
The filter under the galley sink is only for the filtered water near the galley sink and the ice maker. I think that's why there is a shutoff valve just before the filter.
So, it would appear that the shutoff valve is there to allow you to replace the filter without having to remove water pressure from the coach, as "60sumtin" surmised.

In that case, you will definitely want to remove the filter and replace it with a short piece of hose. Make sure the valve is open when you're done. That way the antifreeze can make it to the faucet and the ice-maker.

Either your coach owner's manual or the refrigerator manual (or perhaps both) should include steps on how to winterize the ice-maker with anti-freeze. If you read through de-winterizing posts you'll find that people frequently forget to do this, only to find in the spring the ice-maker and/or its supply piping have split open due to water left in them.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #6

Thanks

Makes sense.

Thanks

Tags
winter