Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2010, 05:44 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Wire type for 7.5 kva Generator

On my recently acquired 2005 350 Tropi-Cal DP, I have lost one of the 120 vrms power legs to the transfer switch. I have no continuity in the cable from the 7.5 kva gen set to the transfer switch on the red wire. I checked it on the actual wire without the connector and seems to be broken somewhere inside the protective conduit. It also appears that the cable had been replaced with a 12/4 romex solid wire cable inserted into the original sheathing, Accordain to the National RV electrical schematic this wire should be 10 awg stranded wire. I beleive that per standard RV/marine wiring practices, the use of solid wire for this application should be avoided due to vibration and metal fatigue. This appears to be the case.
My question is has anyone replaced this cable on their MH by pulling new wires through the conduit or would I be better off just running a new cable under the coach? I would have to pull 3 insulated (black,red, white) plus a ground through this 1.2 inch conduit for about 35 feet.
Also, I noticed that the male twist lock connector that attaches to the gen set was not water resistant as the mate on the gen set. It also appears to have been changed.
Dick_Wins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would think the first trick would be to see if you can pull the old wire out of the conduit while attached to a small strong line that would allow you to pull in a new wire. If you can get the old one out and use some type of a powdered lube on the new one you can probably pull it through. I can't imagine trying to use the old line as a fish or trying to just push a new line through would work. Of course you might want to run an external wire first just to see if that solves your problem before going to all this work.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #3

If its #12 romex at both ends, that isn't correct. #10 stranded THHN (HD or Lowes) would get it but I'll swear mine is #8 (same gen or maybe 8kw) which would be better. Either should fit nicely in that conduit. You can use a fish-tape to pull the new wire or do as suggested above. Since its been fooled with (I hope National didn't do that OEM), it may have a splice somewhere in between that came undone or isn't making full contact anymore, and you may pull the romex apart when yanking it back out. No biggie. The fish-tape will get the new wire in unless you get a piece stuck mid-conduit.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a general rule you should use stranded wire in the following gauges for runs less than 100 feet.

14 gauge for 15 amps

10 gauge for 30 amps

6 gauge for 50 amps

You will need to find out what the main breaker is in your 120 circuit panel. If it is a 50 amp breaker then you will need to use 6 gauge wire. If it is a higher amp breaker [since you might have a 7500 watt or higher gen.], you may have to go to even larger wire.

Hope this helps

Bill

P.S.

I just checked the wiring on my 2005 Sea Breeze with a 5500 watt gen. It looks like the wire from the gen. is 8 or 10 gauge solid wire. I know that there have been no modifications, so this must be the norm for this coach.
BEAUTIFUL PHOENIX, AZ
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:48 AM   #5

For wire size check the breaker on the generator.Mine is 30 amp. So the wires from the generator is #10 strand. My power cord is 50 amp and is three #6 and # 8 ground.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote