Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2017, 06:28 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
wiring diagram

does any one have a link to hooking up the "2" 6 volt batteries under the steps of a 2008 Sea breeze? I just replaced the coach batteries. I think I have it hooked up wrong The remote display for the inverter does not work. Every thing on the 12 volt side works great. How can I tell if the are charging? All the 120 stuff works too.I am just concerned that the display is not working. I even cut the shore power, still nothing. Any thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2017, 06:34 PM   #2

Battery info available on this site.

www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt/.htm

also here's whats on my coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0234 (640x360).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	178240  
Old 09-30-2017, 06:28 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Test the batt. voltage when hooked th shore power it should be more tha 12v is the converter is hooked to the batterys and working.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:43 AM   #4

Send a picture of what your connections are now.

We may be able to point out any oddities.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Battery hook up

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170930_093620264_HDR.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	178323

I replaced my coach batteries (2 6 volt). I hooked them up the way they came out. Bottom neg to pos. top pos to neg. in the upper right corner two wires one with green tape the other black. both hooked to the top neg post. I think this is where I am confused. I don't know where the go to. My issue is that the batteries holding a charge @ 11.8 -12 volts. My remote inverter panel doesn't work. When I am hooked to shore power everything works. any ideas? Is there a diagram for this?
Old 09-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
voltage is 11.8 steady
Old 09-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #7

Your voltage reading seems to indicate the batteries are NOT charging. A charging battery should read over 13 volts.

No hard fast rules and who knows if things were changed but "green" usually indicates ground (-) and red usually indicates hot (+). Based on that it looks like you might have some wires on the wrong posts. Only way to know for sure is to track them down. Simply swapping wires around is a sure fire way to let the smoke out so be careful.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #8

Looking at the picture, over on the negative post, is a large cable with red tape on it.

If that cable is short and goes to the fuse between the batteries, that's probably your inverter/charger positive cable. The don't fuse negative cables.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Looking at the picture, over on the negative post, is a large cable with red tape on it.

If that cable is short and goes to the fuse between the batteries, that's probably your inverter/charger positive cable. The don't fuse negative cables.
Confusing as ALL heavy leads have red end bands.
Better to keep red for POS and black for NEG once you sort this out
Quote:
Originally Posted by budhorning View Post
Attachment 178323

I replaced my coach batteries (2 6 volt). I hooked them up the way they came out. Bottom neg to pos. top pos to neg. in the upper right corner two wires one with green tape the other black. both hooked to the top neg post. I think this is where I am confused. I don't know where the go to. My issue is that the batteries holding a charge @ 11.8 -12 volts. My remote inverter panel doesn't work. When I am hooked to shore power everything works. any ideas? Is there a diagram for this?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Your voltage reading seems to indicate the batteries are NOT charging. A charging battery should read over 13 volts.

No hard fast rules and who knows if things were changed but "green" usually indicates ground (-) and red usually indicates hot (+). Based on that it looks like you might have some wires on the wrong posts. Only way to know for sure is to track them down. Simply swapping wires around is a sure fire way to let the smoke out so be careful.
I figured out the wiring, The green does go on the Neg and the black tape goes on the lower pos. but now I have no 12v. the disconnect switch is in op. My solar charge shows 12.0 house still shows 11.8. My shore power works great! I'm stumped
Old 09-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #11

If your refering to the lower positive in the picture, nothing but the jumper goes there.

Hooking up there get you 6 volts. There is nothing that runs off 6 volts.

Put the black back with the green and move the large red to the other reds. When you first touch the inverter cable, you will get a slight spark. That's normal.

You can test the connection by using a thin wire to connect it. Unplug first and then test connect. The inverter display should work.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #12

If you keep moving stuff around without figuring out what you're moving you will let the smoke out and have bigger problems than you do right now. If you aren't able to track down what goes where you need to find someone who is able to help. Anything anyone on here says is just a guess.

I can't tell from the pic which posts are positive and which are negative. I do see, on the wall behind the batteries, a re-settable breaker on the far left and what looks like a fuse (like those usually used to feed inverters) in the center. I can't tell what that is on the far right but it looks like another re-settable breaker. As someone else said, you will almost never find a fuse or circuit breaker in a negative wire so it looks like something is odd there. But like I said, I'm only guessing and it's your smoke.

And shore power has almost nothing to do with batteries other than charging.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:47 PM   #13

Do you have a voltmeter or are you using some kind of remote readout? Either way get another Digital Voltmeter (DMM) and check the voltage with that. You would not be the first one to get fooled by a meter that lost calibration or a remote with a problem.

Disconnect the negative wire and check the resistance to the chassis. You should see something like 1 ohm. It should be way less but a lot of meters do not do fractional ohms well. You can tell the negative wire by following it to the frame. It should be a short run so relatively easy to follow.

Look for the Storage/salesmans relay. it is usually not far from the Positive battery terminal. One wire will go to a fuse or circuit breaker then to the + battery terminal. Check the resistance between the relay and the battery connector before connecting it.
Again, should be a low reading. You might have to wiggle the probles to get a good connection. Connect that wire to the battery.

Check the battery voltage. If it is around 12 VDC the salesman switch should work. If it's too low the relay won't pull in and you need an external charging source to get the battery up. The solar charge controller is an external source or a battery charger. Either one should make the battery voltage go up when connected. Either way give it a couple of hours for the battery to pick up a charge. Disconnect and see if the relay toggles. If not check the battery voltage. If it is not over 12 VDC that may be your problem. The answer is more charge time.

Once the relay works turn on a light you can see from your storage switch. Unplug the power cord. Toggle the storage switch and see if the light goes out. It should. Toggle the switch again and the light should come on indicating the house is connected to the battery. You need that condition for the house to work off battery and with many units for the converter to charge the battery. CHECK the battery voltage at the battery with a DMM. Plug in the shore cord and check the battery voltage again. It should go up if anything is charging the battery.

If nothing is charging the battery you do not have a converter or it is dead or there is a blown fuse. It's time to move to the Inverter.

Unplug the unit and connect the Inverter wires to the battery. Check the battery voltage. Plug in the shore cord and see if the voltage goes up. It should if the Inverter is a combination Inverter\Converter and is working properly. Check the storage switch and see if the relay pulls in. It should if the battery is around 12 VDC.

More later.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Do you have a voltmeter or are you using some kind of remote readout? Either way get another Digital Voltmeter (DMM) and check the voltage with that. You would not be the first one to get fooled by a meter that lost calibration or a remote with a problem.

Disconnect the negative wire and check the resistance to the chassis. You should see something like 1 ohm. It should be way less but a lot of meters do not do fractional ohms well. You can tell the negative wire by following it to the frame. It should be a short run so relatively easy to follow.

Look for the Storage/salesmans relay. it is usually not far from the Positive battery terminal. One wire will go to a fuse or circuit breaker then to the + battery terminal. Check the resistance between the relay and the battery connector before connecting it.
Again, should be a low reading. You might have to wiggle the probles to get a good connection. Connect that wire to the battery.

Check the battery voltage. If it is around 12 VDC the salesman switch should work. If it's too low the relay won't pull in and you need an external charging source to get the battery up. The solar charge controller is an external source or a battery charger. Either one should make the battery voltage go up when connected. Either way give it a couple of hours for the battery to pick up a charge. Disconnect and see if the relay toggles. If not check the battery voltage. If it is not over 12 VDC that may be your problem. The answer is more charge time.

Once the relay works turn on a light you can see from your storage switch. Unplug the power cord. Toggle the storage switch and see if the light goes out. It should. Toggle the switch again and the light should come on indicating the house is connected to the battery. You need that condition for the house to work off battery and with many units for the converter to charge the battery. CHECK the battery voltage at the battery with a DMM. Plug in the shore cord and check the battery voltage again. It should go up if anything is charging the battery.

If nothing is charging the battery you do not have a converter or it is dead or there is a blown fuse. It's time to move to the Inverter.

Unplug the unit and connect the Inverter wires to the battery. Check the battery voltage. Plug in the shore cord and see if the voltage goes up. It should if the Inverter is a combination Inverter\Converter and is working properly. Check the storage switch and see if the relay pulls in. It should if the battery is around 12 VDC.

More later.
I suspect that if the OP had the skills and tools to do as you say he would never have had a need to post the original question in the first place.

Tags
battery inverter, converter, wiring, wiring diagram