Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:20 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wiring diagram for auxiliary start

I need a wiring diagram 2002 National Dolphin #6355 dash board auxiliary start. Mine doesn't work and I hope I never have the need to use it. The button is there and wires are hooked up but where does it go from there.? I'm also missing the solenoid or what ever to charge the coach batteries when the engine is running. I have been reading up on this and it seems you can put a lot of money into this. What does everyone else use? Our coach, it appears, was a flood damage unit but I cant find any history on it being in a flood. A 2002 36' Dolphin with now 4100 miles. Two years ago when we bought it, it had 2985 miles. It has the 8.1 engine. I just got it back from a repair shop and $7800 later, it has a new fuel tank, another story, brakes, some rewiring done and all the fluids changed. Even a new filter on the power steering. It runs great but seems to be running rich from the smell of the exhaust. Parts had been removed prior but I think were ready for our first big trip now that the gas is $3.10 a gal. I highly recommend the Boys Club in Cherokee, North Carolina for any service work. A large facility as they work on heavy trucks. They have two full time certified mechanics to work with kids trying to learn a trade. I'm all for this.
Home Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 07:47 AM   #2

The boost button controls a solenoid wired between the positive cables of the house and chassis batteries, just like using the red jumper cable.

That same solenoid also closes with the ignition key on, or oil pressure on some models, or with a voltage sensing device on newer models.

When that solenoid closes, the charging chassis battery sends some charge to the house batteries.

If nothing is there, you need a continues duty solenoid rated for 150 to 200 amps and some cable between the batteries. Then a way to send 12 volts to the small terminal to close it.

A good option is a BIM 160 or 225. Same large cables needed but automaticly shares the charge either way.
Google it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:08 AM   #3

Welcome to iRV2

This diagram ( pdf ) probably isn't as complete as what you need , but could be a starting point .
Interconnect solenoid , is the part your missing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf National RV wiring.pdf (566.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-19-2021, 10:56 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At this link you can download more information for your Battery Control Center (BCC). You can also call RV Custom Products for help.
https://rvcustomproducts.com/111979
When you replace the interconnect solenoid make sure you get a constant duty one. A regular starter solenoid will burn out almost immediately.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #5

The wiring diagram tells you what you need to know. It is the closest solenoid to you on the back board in the BCC. You can have someone engage the button on the dash for start assist and listen for the solenoid to kick in. I had to buy a new board for my 2003 Dolphin and saw the solenoids for about $85.

Now for the hard part. To get access to the connections you will probably have to remove the outer board and maybe the inverter. Make sure to label all of the connectors.
ChasRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring, wiring diagram