Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wiring diagram for the AC outlets in a Tropical?

Hi
I have recently bought a 2008 33' tropical. I am trying to get everything working so that we can take it full timing.

I am hoping that someone here might have a diagram of the 110v outlets feeds. I have no power to the bedroom outlets. They are on breaker 15 and listed as bedroom 3 GFI but have no GFI outlets. The breaker has power the outlets do not. I do not know if they worked when I bought it or not.

Here is where it gets confusing. There is a GFI outlet in the dash. It was connected as a single outlet only. The passenger outlet also does not work. There is no breaker to feed these so I think they are on the bedroom circuit and someone has messed with them. I can't trace the wires. It is impossible. If anyone has the diagram or more info on how those were connected It would help a lot.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a GFI outlet in the bathroom. Trip it, reset, make sure it is working... Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #3

Many rvs have only a few circuits running the whole interior of the rv. A gfi at the start of a circuit will protect the entire circuit. Look at every plug in the rv. One of the other plugs might have the gfi that is tripped. Often times it could be in the bathroom, but it may be in the kitchen as well.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Many rvs have only a few circuits running the whole interior of the rv. A gfi at the start of a circuit will protect the entire circuit. Look at every plug in the rv. One of the other plugs might have the gfi that is tripped. Often times it could be in the bathroom, but it may be in the kitchen as well.
Another consideration is to check the breakers on your inverter converter, one may be tripped.
Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:53 AM   #5

My Sea Breeze has 3 GFI's, under the kitchen cabinet, by the bathroom sink and a sneaky one hidden under the swing-up extension for the kitchen counter.
Traildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:07 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check all the storage compartments under the coach. There just might be a GFI hidden down there somewhere.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:12 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
There is a GFI outlet in the bathroom. Trip it, reset, make sure it is working... Rook
DOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
This one has 2 GFI circuits in the breaker box. One is Kitchen/dinette/lav GFI and these work as they should. The other is labeled Bedroom gfi 3. The interesting thing is that the bedroom has four and none have the outlet with the reset. There are 2 up front and one of them has a reset but no power to them either. I believe that they are on the bedroom circuit since the other (Kitchen ect) works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaflatlander View Post
Another consideration is to check the breakers on your inverter converter, one may be tripped.
Done. Also this happens with shore/gen and inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildennis View Post
My Sea Breeze has 3 GFI's, under the kitchen cabinet, by the bathroom sink and a sneaky one hidden under the swing-up extension for the kitchen counter.
Sneaky is the word I gaven't looked in the lower cabinets. I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Check all the storage compartments under the coach. There just might be a GFI hidden down there somewhere.
Done.

All of the other breakers are labeled and in use so am I correct in thinking that they must all be on the bedroom circuit? The breaker supplies power, i checked, but it is not getting to the outlets.

The one with the reset is in the dashboard and there is no power to it. The wires run from the breakers in the bed frame through the floor and come out above the trans. They are hidden in foam and plastic sleeves so there is no way to even test to see if the wires are intact. If I could find a diagram I would try to re-feed the set from the back and use a GFI breaker. Fishing wires would be a nightmare in here. Too many variables. Good to see that everything is buttoned up tight in this coach though. I am pleased with the build quality.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Old 06-12-2019, 05:33 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am experienced with home electrical work but not RV. I have to learn though. I do have experience in electronic repair. Here is what I did yesterday and hope to do. Since ther is power on the * end of the breaker and none in the outlet chain I assume something is loose or burned under the RV. The wire mass is untraceable so I will disconnect the wire from the breaker for safety.

With power cit in the bedroom circuit I tested every outlet not on the other circuit. All dead. I also found that the three more outlets for the AV setup were dead.

I removed every outlet from the walls to find the two that had only one pair of wires + ground. Those would be the ends of the GFI daisy chain. There were 6 (not the 3 claimed). I chose an end outlet and attached the 18ga wire to the + side if the dead

outlet. I attached the other end of a continuity tester to the wire. I went around the coach and tester continuity of every one of the six dead and they all were connected. Interestingly enough 2 of them had the polarity reversed. I will fix that. Now I know for sure that the bedroom circuit has the bedroom outlets, both AV outlets and the passenger seat front outlet.

The plan is, since tracing wire from the bedroom location of the breaker box and following it to the front where it was fed originally in nearly impossible I will disconnect the feed in front and instead remove the GFI in the front and then use a GFI breaker and feed the chain from the back. The last outlet in the chain is under the bed and so is the breaker box. That should get me going and keep me safe without undue trouble. I will let you know how it works.

PS. I just realized there is another outlet. It is in the power compartment and it has a plug in it that runs into the engine compartment. I must check that for current too. What the heck is it that would have a outlet to feed a plug that goes back into the engine compartment??? This RV is better than a mystery novel! I'll take a picture.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The outlet in the engine compartment may be for a BLOCK HEATER, you also have outlets on the back side of the fridge. One of your AV outlets will not be hot when the engine is running so as no TV going down the road.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:50 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S. View Post
The outlet in the engine compartment may be for a BLOCK HEATER, you also have outlets on the back side of the fridge. One of your AV outlets will not be hot when the engine is running so as no TV going down the road.
Thanks. I didn't think about the block heater. It could also be the TV outlet you mentioned, in fact that is probably it. I have to unplug it and compare. I pulled out all of the built in TV stuff recently and there is a remotely switched outlet! There is also a switch for the 110 water heater . I will have to find out and make sure I don't bother those.

Have to go to Marathon today and get the 110 wire to make the connection. I am also working on other things so I will post as soon as I get this hooked up (or don't) . Nothing is ever as simple as it looks.

I took out the TV's. We rarely park where there is cable and so play shows of our own choosing from a laptop over a good sized LED flat screen. We prefer to put the TV on the dinette and sit on the couch. The angle to watch above the dash is just wrong and eats up precious forward viewing real estate.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:25 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is a rough situation. Nobody can really offer any specific direction because there is none. I don't want to dig into this but it needs to be done. I will attack it the best I can and leave regular posts. If anyone has the same problem possibly they can benefit from something I do (of find out what not to do.) Please feel free to chime in if you have ideas or suggestions.

I have been putting this project off because I fear what may happen if I re-power the outlets but it is nearly impossible to trace a wire in this RV. I have posted in several boards trying to find a diagram so that I might know what is on this circuit and can find nothing. I am going to grimly but methodically try to trace this circuit starting in the dash where the burned out ground fault outlet was found. It had only a single 3/wire feeding it. (black white and ground.) I don't know if this had anything to do with the rest but it did catch fire and has no power now so that is the first. I traced it back behind the dash center and it ran over behind the right hand side if the dash. I know someone had a problem with this outlet because it had been replaced with a household GFI outlet. Now I see that someone was back behind this dash portion because most of the screws are gone.Tomorrow the dash comes out. Stick around for the entertainment. I can't believe this cost someone nearly a quarter mil back in 2008. Some parts are amazingly well made but some are cheap plastic junk.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #12

I found these diagrams of the National electrical systems. They may not be an exact match for your model but hopefully they might help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12V-120V.pdf (1.13 MB, 54 views)
File Type: pdf National Electrical Diagram (1).pdf (565.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 06-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildennis View Post
I found these diagrams of the National electrical systems. They may not be an exact match for your model but hopefully they might help.

I think these have enough similarities that they will help.Things are in different places but already I can see that there are , as I feared, junction boxes under the deck, probably encased in foam. Thank you! Were there any more where that came from?
Old 06-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #14

There was one more, it has some duplication from the others but a few other diagrams and troubleshooting steps. When it bought my new to me '05 Seabreeze last year i did a ton of research and got anything i could find on the coach.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf _National 12V Distribution Center TSG.pdf (464.2 KB, 49 views)

Tags
wiring, wiring diagram