Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #1

Wiring for additional outdoor lighting on 2004 Seabreeze

Anyone added any additional 12v lighting on the outside? The little porch light by the door handle doesn't cut it. I have an LED strip and another LED porch light I'm wanting to add. Just wondering if anyone knows of a good power source to tap into on these units. I haven't check whether the unused toggles next to the steering wheel have power.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If there are cabinets on the porch side, there may be 12 volt wiring inside the floor of the cabinets. Very common use of cabinets hollow floor construction..
Old 01-13-2016, 08:04 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
There is 12v on back of the switches to the left of the stairs as you enter the RV. Just tap into the wiring and install a switch right there by your existing porch light switch. Drop your wiring down into the basement and out the bottom if you like.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradodude View Post
There is 12v on back of the switches to the left of the stairs as you enter the RV. Just tap into the wiring and install a switch right there by your existing porch light switch. Drop your wiring down into the basement and out the bottom if you like.
I agree with Craka, that little light beside the door is kind of sick. Also, if you are camped near a stream, that just drawn bugs to the light so when you open the door, they run in. Still wondering, do the people who design these Motorhomes ever actually use one??

I also wanted to put led strip lights right below my awning and didn't think of tapping into that control panel to get the 12V power. I am wondering how hard it would be to fish the wires up inside the wall to just under the awning?

What is behind that wall?? Has anyone tried this?
Old 01-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&EM View Post
If there are cabinets on the porch side, there may be 12 volt wiring inside the floor of the cabinets. Very common use of cabinets hollow floor construction..
I used this method to power LED strip attached directly below awning/rain gutter rail by simply accessing the 12 volts in the cabinet floor and a small hole thru the wall to the LEDs. Switch was mounted inside the cabinet. Or I could have put the switch on bottom of cabinet near the reading lights.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:16 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just went out and looked. I can access 12v right up under the awning from the light that is above the kitchen cabinet. didn't think of that before. Thanks guys. now I just have to figure out which lights to buy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I would like to get the ones that have the remote where you can change the colors etc.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
I just went out and looked. I can access 12v right up under the awning from the light that is above the kitchen cabinet. didn't think of that before. Thanks guys. now I just have to figure out which lights to buy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I would like to get the ones that have the remote where you can change the colors etc.
I got a set off ebay for under $25. Just look for RGB 5050 LED strips. They have to be RGB to change colors and they come with a remote. I will be installing mine tomorrow if this rain lets up around here.

Order some good 3M outdoor double sided tape to install them. The fake 3M tape that comes on the lights = garbage.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:12 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
We had CW install LED strip under awning. There was an unused screw hole in the awning and the ran the wires thru and plugged in the cabinet above the microwave. very happy with the lights and install
Lila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:55 AM   #9

I was able to tap into 12v at a map light under one of the cabinets. I ran the wires through the hollowed bottom of the cabinet and through the cabinets to get them where I needed them.

Tags
door, light, seabreeze, wiring