Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #1

Does anyone have a wiring diagram that details the circuit from the roof solar panel through the control panel circuit breaker and indicator light to the house batteries, particularly for a later Dolphin, but other NRV's are probably similar.
I would like to replace my non-functional panel with a higher capacity panel (~15w) and charge controller and wonder if I could use the factory wiring. I need to know if/how the solar current connects through the existing charger or distribution panel and gets to the battery, and where to install the charge controller, if possible.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #2

Does anyone have a wiring diagram that details the circuit from the roof solar panel through the control panel circuit breaker and indicator light to the house batteries, particularly for a later Dolphin, but other NRV's are probably similar.
I would like to replace my non-functional panel with a higher capacity panel (~15w) and charge controller and wonder if I could use the factory wiring. I need to know if/how the solar current connects through the existing charger or distribution panel and gets to the battery, and where to install the charge controller, if possible.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
two2go,

I sure could use the same electrical info. My roof solar panel either doesn't work or the 10w panel isn't enough to keep the batteries charged. The green light is on at the control panel during the day. I understand there is some parasitic drain from the chassis systems on the chassis battery thus draining the batteries to 12.1v while in storage for 3 weeks.

Ed
WCMC Vice President - West Rallies
Old 07-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #4

The solar panel is wired directly to a circuit breaker directly below in the DC breaker panel. A new charge controller could be wired directly to that wire. When I got my new 05 Dolphin, this system did not work and I found that the LED charge indicator was wired all wrong. It was wired so that the light was on all the time even at night. If you will send me an email, I will send you a drawing of how I wired it so that it works.
"merkelck@verizon.net"
Kent
KentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #5

If you are going to install a larger solar panel and a controller you are better off to completely wire the circuit from scratch. Mount the panels on the roof. run wire from the panel down the refer vent to the charge controller (mount in panel inside the main entry door where the light switches are. Run wire from the controller to the batteries. I think the wire on the small solar panel supplied is too small for your purpose.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #6

I agree and would consider separate HD wiring if I was installing high capacity panels. The stock circuit has a 7 amp breaker, so theoretically should handle up to 80 watts. I am only looking at 20 watts max, so less than 2 amps on full output.
I want adequate reliable battery maintenance during storage.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #7

I checked out my stock solar panel circuit and found the following:
The panel on the roof was totally dead. No voltage at the output leads.
The wiring is a red and black pair 14G down to behind the main control panel. The black is tied to ground. The red is paired with a 14G white with yellow tracer wire that ends in a connector socket. The connector plug consists of a loop with about a foot of red wire soldered to a diode and a foot of yellow wire soldered to the other end of the diode. The red and yellow loop wires connect to the red and white/yellow wires respectively. The white with yellow tracer wire runs down to the circuit breaker for the solar panel and the other end of that circuit connects to +12V house battery. I forgot to check if the +12V is always on or is cut off by the disconnect, but it ought to be always on for solar charging during storage. There was also a diode on the roof at the red wire to solar panel + terminal. A lead for the indicator LED takes off from the solar panel (red wire) side of the loop diode through the LED and to ground. If the panel had functioned, the circuit would work as desired.
I peeled off the old solar panel and discovered that the roof fiberglass underneath was not pretty-lots of surface cracking, probably from the heat of the panel. So I cleaned everything up and just remounted the panel and sealed it to protect that part of the roof. I will probably just mount the replacement panel on stand-offs over the old one.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:21 AM   #8

Due to a INVERTER problem...I found that the solar panel runs thru the INVERTER...at least that's what I think I read...

At any rate, I wonder (at least for my purpose) if I even really NEED the solar pannel to "maintain" the batteries.

I have no idea (never did) if the panel itself even works. I have no indicator light...nothing.

When I'm on shore power...the 2 6V batteries get charged by the CONVERTER. When the engine is running...ALL the batteries get charged by the alternator.

When in short-term non-use storage, every 2 weeks I start the motor and the generator. When in long-term storage (more than 3 months) I was advised by the lead mechainic at the purchase dealership to throw the battery "disconnect" switch...or when the 2 6V batteries discharge, they will take down the 12V battery too...so I couldn't start the motor. (He's right.) Experimenting, I found all 3 batteries "dead in the water" after almost 2 months...had to jump start the 12V battery. Two things I did:
1- put a toggle (on-off) switch to the carbon monoxide and propane sensors. They use ALOT of juice and draw the batteries down fast. I put a blade switch on the 12V battery. When in storage, this keeps the 12V usuable no matter what happens to the 2 6V batteries.

I also, last winter, bought a "Trik-L-Start" gadget that cannibalizes power from the 6V batteries and keeps the 12V charged. This summer, doing a "seasonal" thing, the motor was not run for 3 months (hooked into shore power). Leaving the campground for a 1 week trip to the NASCAR races...the 12V battery had enough juice to start the motor. THAT never happened before after non-use for that long a time. I guess the "Trik-L-Start" does as advertised.

So...do I NEED the solar panel? In my case...I think not.
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote