Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:59 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had my RV in a shop that did remodels for a problem I was having with something else.

I asked if they could pull the front TV out while it was in there.

Sure enough it was out and sitting on the floor when I picked up the RV. No charge.

Holy cow when I went to get rid of it I was sure glad they had removed it, that baby was heavy!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2020, 12:11 AM   #16

Took ours out years ago. Never replaced it. Nothing worth watching on it anyway. Well, the odd NASCAR race would be nice.

Still glad it is gone.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:41 PM   #17

A friend drove up today to help me take the TV out, but we couldn't get it to budge. We removed the two front bolts on each side of the tray and loosened the rear bolts so that the tray would tilt down at the front, but we couldn't get it to tilt enough so that the top of the TV would clear the ceiling. It was about 100 degrees and 98% humidity in there, so we gave up for now.

Can anyone give me a tip as to what we might be missing? I can't see any other bolts. We removed the sheet metal screws at the top of the side panel and front lip that keeps the TV from sliding out. The TV is loose on the tray, as we can move it back and forth a little, but we just can't lower the front of the tray enough for the top of the TV to clear the ceiling. I'm afraid if we remove the rear bolts of the tray entirely the TV will come crashing down.

Any tips greatly appreciated. I have looked at a number of old threads on this topic but haven't found the answer yet. I did find a YouTube video of a guy removing the TV from a 2008 Dolphin. He was doing exactly the way we were but it appears that the later TVs weren't quite as tall so he was able to pull it right out from the tray once all the bolts were removed.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Watch the Utube video of Darrin Nason remove his from a 2008 National Tropical , the TV in my 2005 Dolphin 5355 came out the same as his . It does take wiggling . Be sure to get those top screws that he removes with the needle nose pliers . The screw drivers or drift pins in the bottom front bolt holes are needed to keeping from falling out before you are ready also . Oh and fire that genny up and get some air going in that thing . Don't work in a sweat box if you don't have to . Good luck getting it out . Don't give up , it will come .
Old 07-03-2020, 09:48 PM   #19

Thanks Ray. That's actually the video I was talking about. I mistakenly said his moho was a Dolphin but it's a Tropical. Yeah I have those screws out. Thinking about it further I'm convinced that there must be something at the back of the tray that's keeping it from flipping down further. I'm going back tomorrow when it's cool to investigate further.

Can't run the a/c because I have a cover on the RV that would interfere both with cooling the generator and the a/c. Yes, I could take the cover off, but I just spent an hour three days ago putting it on. Then again, I might have to remove it anyway if I end up taking the moho to an RV shop for them to take the TV out. My helper has gone back to his home 100 miles from here, so I no longer have an assistant.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:10 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I had a 27" RCA in my Monaco. I removed it myself. Monaco just had a couple screws keeping the TV coming up from underneath. OK (I thought) I'll remove the screws and pull the TV out. When I unscrewed the 2nd screw the TV fell out of the cabinet. It landed on my back and I was able to catch it and back up to the coach where I let it down on the couch. I would of thought it would of been more secure.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:21 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
I've been looking too and haven't found any. I think we might have to settle for a sound bar.
Believe me, you won't be "settling"!
A decent soundbar will blow away any forward mounted TV speakers! They make TV's as thin as possible these days. There's not enough room for a speaker cone and magnet. A decent sound bar will be at least 3" deep.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I had a 27" RCA in my Monaco. I removed it myself. Monaco just had a couple screws keeping the TV coming up from underneath. OK (I thought) I'll remove the screws and pull the TV out. When I unscrewed the 2nd screw the TV fell out of the cabinet. It landed on my back and I was able to catch it and back up to the coach where I let it down on the couch. I would of thought it would of been more secure.
Geez, that's scary. I have to say that National didn't cheap out on securing the TV, that's for sure. I have all the bolts and screws out and still can't get it out, lol.

I ran into another old thread that I had read before. I had forgotten about these tabs that are welded to the tray. That's not my only problem, but it's good to know that they're there. It actually means that I will need to drop the front of the tray even more than I thought I would to get the TV over them.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #23

Alright, I think I have it figured out. I just need to pry between the TV and the tray to pull the TV off the metal tabs shown in the previous post. This allows the front of the tray to drop down. I did one side on my own, with a screwdriver in the bolt hole to keep the tray from dropping on the other side. Just waiting for a helper before I remove the screwdriver, and then hopefully we should be able to lift the TV out.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #24

Not sure what TV was originally in my coach... when I bought it, it had a 24" or so flat screen in it, over the drivers and passgenger seats. It was hard to watch as both me and DW had to crane our necks to see it from where the 2 couches are... So we had the MH in for minor work at our RV guy earlier this year and we decided to replace it with a 49" TV. We had to sacrifice a window for it. The window is still there, but we put a plywood board, covered in foux leather, and used a standard wall-mount TV hanger. The TV looks and sounds great and we don't miss the window too much; there's plenty of other windows. No more neck-craning, the closed captioning is great and the LG LCD TV has a fantastic viewing angle. Totally worth the mod. We are both hearing-disabled so the closed captioning is very important to us.

We had a 32" HD tube set that we bought in 1998 or so... and it weighed about 160 lbs. Took 2 people to move it... The LG mentioned above weighs all of 20 lbs! And a 200% better picture... no ... 400% better.. no... well you get the idea!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #25

We've toyed with the idea of putting the new TV on the wall behind the front passenger's seat (where there is a small fold-out table we hardly ever use) but I think we're going to stick with the present overhead position. It doesn't bother us too much and the other position wouldn't work with our recliner chair. I've seen some nice "pop-up" TV cabinets done at that location though and I can see why it might be appealing.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:36 AM   #26

Our plan on our next rig is to remove whatever TV is up front and put a pop up TV behind the large couch and recliners across from it.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Our plan on our next rig is to remove whatever TV is up front and put a pop up TV behind the large couch and recliners across from it.
My TV 'pops up' from the bed in back to the dash in front. I making a motor whurring sound while doing this.

Patent pending.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:02 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
My TV 'pops up' from the bed in back to the dash in front. I making a motor whurring sound while doing this.

Patent pending.
And it works every time!!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight