Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Xantrex Inverter not working on my 2007 tropical

When the RV is on battery power (or even when the engine is running) the invert button wont work on the Xantrex panel. I thought it might be the control panel being busted but pressing invert directly on the inverter in the rear bay wont work either.

No breakers tripped, I went through and looked at the ones on the inverter itself and all the 12v and 120v breakers.. The inverter charges the house batteries just fine... it just wont switch to invert.

One thing of note... theres a solar charge controller in my RV but the RV never came with solar panels (the cables and mounts are there, looked like the panels were removed). Could there be a circuit somewhere thats tied to the panels/charge controler? If they got removed then maybe the inverter wont turn on cause it doesn't think its getting 12v?

So I will chalk this up to me being an idiot and not testing this on the PDI but hopefully I can figure out which part is dead...
-BigRed- is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
More info: when the RV is on 12v (not on shore power or when the main engine is running) the inverter does nothing. When its on external AC power (Shore or generator) the panel lights up showing it charging the batteries. I can press the invert button and the lights come on for the inverter section but as soon as external AC power is removed the panel goes dark.

12v in the RV works so I know theres no salesman switch thats off.

I have a xantrex freedom 458 2000w inverter
Old 06-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some times disconnecting and reconnecting the remote panel cable (looks like phone wire plug) will reset the panel. I suggest doing this at both ends of the cable.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pull a battery cable from the house battery bank. Pause. And reconnect. Maybe full power off/in reset will feature proper operation.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I will try those when I can pull my RV out again (possibly this weekend).

Where I can store it prevents access to the two rear compartments which happen to house the battery and inverter
Old 06-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My Xantrex problem was a little different than yours. I lost 110 to some of my plugs but, you may want to remove the small panel on the front of the inverter and check the wire nut connections that are behind it. Mine had vibrated and I had a loose wire. If I remember correctly you only have to remove two screws. Just make sure you are unplugged from power before you go poking around in there.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Posting more info here too.

I found this walk through of the internals of the unit:

Supposedly theres a barrel fuse inside of the unit that might prevent it from working. Inverter fuse might be blown.

I will also check that on Saturday too to see if that might be the cause.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Tried unplugging the inverter and plugging it back in, no love there.

Also unscrewed it and took the cover off, the fuses look good.

Unplugged the RJ11 from the control panel and the unit, still nothing.

I verified all the connections are good. I am out of ideas... thinking this thing is toast. I will see if this is covered under my extended service contract. If not I guess ill just pony up for a new magnasine inverter.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #9

Try looking for a 5 cent tiny fuse inside the case, it could have blown. Ask me how I know. I have an 01 islander and for some strange reason that was our issue. Hopefully you havent bought a new one just yet.
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Just to confirm, and as vsheetz mentioned, did you try removing ALL power to inverter by dis-connecting house battery + cable at the battery bank, wait a minute, then re-connect ? It's kind of like a reset or reboot for the 458 Inverter. Shore power should also not be connected. This did work for me when a similar thing happened. Good luck.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BigRed- View Post
I have a xantrex freedom 458 2000w inverter

When having trouble with my Xantrex Inverter, I got very good support over the phone from these folks in Portland Oregon. I had my 40' MH at their facility. They have a very impressive shop and techs also. All the best.

Service Department |
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:50 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNDLC View Post
Try looking for a 5 cent tiny fuse inside the case, it could have blown. Ask me how I know. I have an 01 islander and for some strange reason that was our issue. Hopefully you havent bought a new one just yet.
Yes I opened up the interverter and checked both the internal fuses. They both were fine visually and I tested that they are transferring voltage with a multimeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
Just to confirm, and as vsheetz mentioned, did you try removing ALL power to inverter by dis-connecting house battery + cable at the battery bank, wait a minute, then re-connect ? It's kind of like a reset or reboot for the 458 Inverter. Shore power should also not be connected. This did work for me when a similar thing happened. Good luck.
I didnt disconnect from the battery bank, I disconnected from the inverter and waited until all the voltage was drained from the unit (tested with multimeter) then plugged it back in. No dice.

I also tested that voltage is getting to the bus bars inside the unit, past the internal fuses and even tested the switch that is supposed to turn on the interver. Even bypassed the switch to make sure that wasnt the culprit and still no love from the unit.

Something on one of the control boards has gotta be dead.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:54 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They had me disconnect shore power, two 110 banks, 12 v pos and neg and small sensor and rj11 to remote panel, wait 30 minutes and connect back in that order. This fully resets it.
Joepacifica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:42 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
It turned out the inverter itself was bad and I got it replaced under extended warranty. Got it replaced with a Magnum 2800w pure sine wave inverter.

Tags
inverter, xantrex