Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #1

Zzzzzzzz - WHAAAAA!! Panic ?

So we toddle off to bed, I take my sleeping pill . . . we go to sleep . . . . suddenly OMG!! HOOOONNNNNNKKKKKKKK!

DH is out of bed in a flash, vaults over the "doggie gate" and I'm right behind him (Ambien kicking in) Panic! Nothing . . . can't find a thing . . . we can't figure it out. DH disconnects the wiring on the levelers and right about that time the noise quits and a sudden gust of gravity lands me on my butt on the floor
Twice. Bruised tailbone . . . confusion . . . we go back to bed.

So has anyone else had an unknown "alarm" go off in the middle of the night? It wasn't the smoke alarm, the propane alarm, and we've both been working long days since and haven't had a chance to dig too deep.

(Oh it's a 96 Dolphin that has been sitting for a year with us in it, levelers have been adjusted and we have jackstands under the slide.) Any hint would be appreciated. Otherwise enjoy the laugh.
Fanciesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Remove the jackstands for one, they're not needed and can cause damage to the slide if the MH settles and the stands don't.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Didja check the ALARM CLOCK next to the bed.....:::????...Dennis
Executive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #4

cell phone alarm accidentally set??
Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #5

Was it a BEEP or a HONK?

Where was the dog sleeping? There are stories of doggie gas tripping LP alarms

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:27 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Honk? Maybe it was not your rig, a horn from someone else?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #7

All I could do is enjoy your story with the knowledge that it could happen to any of us...sorry about the bruised tailbone...
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #8

Mr_D: DH said he's going to check the jackstands and more than likely remove then. (we have a lot of heavy stuff (wine cooler, table, entertainment center with a 47" flatscreen) in the slide so he thought they would help)

Re: alarm clock and cell phone alarm, nope.

This was a really loud honking sound. We are up on a hill with no one else around us. The dog has set the LP detector off, but this was different. Hopefully we'll have time to dig into this soon.

Please enjoy the story.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #9

Can the dog jump up on the drivers seat?
If he can do that than he can put his two front paws on the steering wheel to get a better view, thus causing the honking sound. They become very proud of their new found talent and will show it off more frequently, so at some point, if your 4 legged companion is the horn actuator you will catch him in the act.
The horn can easily be disabled by removing the wire at the horn(s) (there is usually two grouped together). The horn is usually located on the radiator support brace. It will take you longer to locate it, then it will to pull the power wire.

Good Luck!
BirdDoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDoggin View Post
Can the dog jump up on the drivers seat?
If he can do that than he can put his two front paws on the steering wheel to get a better view, thus causing the honking sound. They become very proud of their new found talent and will show it off more frequently, so at some point, if your 4 legged companion is the horn actuator you will catch him in the act.
The horn can easily be disabled by removing the wire at the horn(s) (there is usually two grouped together). The horn is usually located on the radiator support brace. It will take you longer to locate it, then it will to pull the power wire.

Good Luck!
If you are in a RV park in North Florida I may have been the culprit... about 1130 last night I sat down in my recliner and sat on my car key opener and the panic button worked... took me a few seconds to get it out of my pocket and silence the horn. Ron
Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #11

You guys are funny!

We thought about that - but the cat rules the drivers seat (the thought crossed my mind since we had a cat hit the horn button on the helm of our houseboat - not a hit and release button either, it was on for a loooonnnnngggggg time since we were in town. Had to put a key lock on the helm.). Only one dog can jump up there - but he doesn't weigh as much as the cat. The other 2 dogs can't get up there.

Ron . . . what can I say. We aren't in Florida.

We are still investigating.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If it was a dog, he would have freaked when you two did. Maybe he got off of the seat?
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Since you don't mention a bunch of canine hysteria, it sounds like the three dogs slept through it... hmmmm....

If it's only two people, is it still a "mass hallucination"?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #14

Unfortunately RonA I am not there to hear your alarm go off, I would have glady taking those few seconds of horn honking over the foot of snow that was being dumped on us (and still going) up here in Pennsylvania!!

Fanciesmom,

You have used a little deductive reasoning and have ruled out the cats and dogs, then that only leaves the husband to make the honking sound. Personally I call that "stepping on the duck" , and wouldn't admit to it either if I woke my wife from a sound sleep with a honk or two.
BirdDoggin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disabled