Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2020, 06:27 AM   #1

05 Phaeton House batteries not charging while driving

Seems like the house batteries don't charge while driving on our 2005 Tiffin Phaeton

Reading through the owners manual it sounds like only factory options are shore power or generator.

I could easily wire the house & chassis batteries together but obviosly that hack could drain other sets so what to do?

Run a wire direct from alternator to chassis batteries? Follow advice from this Monaco thread?
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2020, 12:07 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
The link to the Renogy 20 amp might work for you. Our generator is almost always running to power the air conditioners so we don't have the concern.

https://www.renogy.com/12v-dc-to-dc-...ttery-charger/
Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #3

It would be a rare RV that didn't charge the house batteries while underway.

With the engine running, push and hold the boost/aux switch. While holding it, see it the house battery volts go up.

If they don't, that solenoid, that you can hear clunking when you cycle the switch, is most likely bad.

That solenoid does both boost start and connect the chassis battery to the house battery automaticly when the engine is running.

Fix that and you don't need to run any wires or buy devices.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:24 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Twinboat has it right. Your boost/merge solenoid should be either in the bay with your house batteries or in the bay with the chassis batteries. Both configurations have been used.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:45 PM   #5

If the layout of the '05 Phaeton and Allegro Bus are the same, the relay is in the inverter compartment. That's the rearmost compartment on the passenger side. Ours is behind a plexiglass shield along with the auto-resetting fuses and some other relays and such.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #6

Some incredible depth of knowledge is available on this forum!

So, it sounds like this gizmo should make noise while pushing the chassis / house jumper AKA Aux Boost.

My travel partner does not want to push buttons. All she will do is look out the window & sleep. I'll find more willing helper.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:42 PM   #7

Hmm, images not showing up

I see one of these https://www.amazon.com/INTELLITEC-01.../dp/B072N8NYN2 by the Inverter. Before ordering I'll try to find the fuse.

My current travel buddy is my Yellow Lab.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGQh3nKn...=1ah0h4l0jv76f

What is so special about the intelligence relay? Amazon says its is rated for 100 AMP continuous. But it won't arrive in time for me.

Could I use this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072MZHK48..._aJoHFb1237KKT

Rated higher and 1/3 the price. I would buy 2 to have a spare
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #8

You want the second one you found on Amazon.

The first one is a battery disconnect latching relay. Not a contionuious duty isolation relay ( solenoid ).

Latching relays are for turning on house loads, not connecting battery banks together, for charging.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:13 PM   #9

While the plexiglass cover is off and you're removing the wiring to the solenoid anyway, consider installing a BIRD at the same time. Our Bus didn't come with one so I suspect your Phaeton might not have one, either. Very easy installation. Not very expensive. I can send or post pics if you want.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #10

What does BIRD do?
This post seems to describe a BIRD well
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/bir...ml#post4054638

But an isolator & relay such as this stinger also seems to do similar stuff. In the reviews / question & answers it was suggested for high draw stereo systems with a dedicated battery. That way stereo battery runs down but not starting battery. Then recharged once engine starts. Sounds like same RV use case.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HBYXVS..._ORpHFb6G6JCW8

Greatly appreciate the help & feedback. The more I read and think I learn the more confused I get.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
What does BIRD do?

Greatly appreciate the help & feedback
See https://www.intellitec.com/products/...and-management and look at "00-00839-000 - Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay - Diesel 2"

I got ours from these people, not because they had the best price, but because (IIRC) Intellitec outsourced their tech support to them, and their expertise when I had questions was very good: https://www.mmrvelectronics.com/

Saving ten bucks or so via Amazon's free shipping just wasn't going to happen when they had such thorough answers to my questions before I bought one.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
What does BIRD do?
This post seems to describe a BIRD well
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/bir...ml#post4054638

But an isolator & relay such as this stinger also seems to do similar stuff. In the reviews / question & answers it was suggested for high draw stereo systems with a dedicated battery. That way stereo battery runs down but not starting battery. Then recharged once engine starts. Sounds like same RV use case.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HBYXVS..._ORpHFb6G6JCW8

Greatly appreciate the help & feedback. The more I read and think I learn the more confused I get.
What you posted will do the job.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #13

Follow up for any one reading or finding via search Stinger SGP32 might have worked but the terminals were in different position and the wires are just barely long enough for the original unit.

When the Stinger was installed my house electrical was completely dead. Put the old one back & 12 volt lights, water pump fridge. Etc all work.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:17 PM   #14

Same on our 07 Phaeton
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
If the layout of the '05 Phaeton and Allegro Bus are the same, the relay is in the inverter compartment. That's the rearmost compartment on the passenger side. Ours is behind a plexiglass shield along with the auto-resetting fuses and some other relays and such.
bootcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries, phaeton