Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #1

06 Bus a good deal?

Spent the day on the internet and phone negotiating a deal on a 2006 Allegro Bus 40dpq. We just sold our first dp (2002 Revolution) and are looking for something with 4 slides, side radiator. This coach has just over 50k miles, tires and batteries are 3 years old - every thing works (extensive, documented PDI already done) all fluids changed, belts and hoses taken care of as well. We know nothing of Tiffen other than seeing them here and there and being told from time to time what an excellent brand it is. We have the price negotiated down to 5k below average NADA and it includes a comprehensive 4yr warranty/maintenance plan. Haven't seen the coach yet, just pictures and as far as that goes, it looks very nice. It's a 400 mile drive to the location and since I'm not familiar with Tiffen I'd appreciate any comments or insight as to what to be on the lookout for.
Yakimaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, you have a very positive out look on the coach as to condition, records and everything works, for haven't not actually seen the coach yet. Possibly someone will list the known Tiffin short comings. You might do a search here and on TiffinRVNetwork.com for problems. There is what is known as the "big three". I'm not well versed on the 06 model year. Other then to know its a 10 year old coach, and what that could in tail. PDI "done all ready". Not for me it wouldn't be. But good luck,
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:06 PM   #3
MDB

Tiffin Owners Club
I bought a 2006 Tiffan 40' 6 months ago. I have owned 5 RV's since 2006, and by far the Tiffan is the best in my opinion. Mine has 24000 miles, kept in heated storage, and was very nice condition. So far I have had window issue's, fogged, and now front seal leaking, leaked enough to soak brake shoes, having replaced. I have learned if unit sits for very long seals will dry out, and windows are an issue on many makes in the time frame. Other than that we love the ride, handling, and quality of workmanship. I would highly recommend looking it over before committing. I started out with 11 1/2 foot lance camper with slide and a dually, moved to 39- Montana 5th wheel, 2007 Simba Safari 36', 2005 Winnebago 36', now 2006 Tiffan. My wife has serious back issue's, so the ride is essential, just keep trying until it is the right fit. I pull a 20' enclosed car trailer with 57 Chev to car show's ect, so like to go and be comfortable. Aslo tow 2009 Dodge 1500 for all other adventures. good luck. Hope this helps
Old 09-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #4

Yakimaman, I Had a 06 Bus until Jan this year. The big 3 is actually a big 2 on the 06. 06 already has metal cap rails. There is a notice on early 06 Cummins that the wrist pins could fail. Mine failed at 24k. Cummins covered it all and more. Tiffin has a great reputation for taking care of it's owners. There are dozens of very reliable off campus techs in Red Bay as well as a very large repair center. Are they perfect? Nope, but none of the coaches I have owned were either. I was very happy with my 06 40QSP but the DW is happier with our 2011 43 QGP
KaptnKluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We have an 06 QDP and we love it. We made several mods and some of them are pictured on the Tiffin owners forum upgrade link. Here are the mods that I have done.

1. Added Solar to the roof (1060 watts, we don't need shore power except in the summer heat)
2. Converted the Windows XP computer to a Windows 7 computer and added speakers in the monitor. (whole gut)
3. Added LED lights behind the crown molding on the front living room slides with dimmers. (for atmosphere).
4. Added LED lights to the awing on the passenger side with a switch that automatically turns on the lights when fully extended and they are on a dimmer.
5. Changed out all of the neon bulbs and converted them to LED light strips.
6. Added backup sensors to the rear bumper.
7. Added Silverleaf engine monitoring.
8. Changed out all of the stereo equipment. Added HDMI and Chromecast to TV.
9. Added Jetpack router from Verizon.
10. Added wireless camera to toad so I can hear what is going on in the toad while driving. (It has audio.)
11. Changed out the TV in the basement to flat screen.
12. Added beepers to the turn signals so that I can hear them when they are on. (posted this last week on Tiffin upgrades)
13. Added 12v monitor in the cabinet over the drivers head to keep tabs on battery levels.
14. Added "Midnite Solar" display near the bathroom to monitor the solar charging.
15. Added sub-woofer amp for surround sound.
16. Changed out all Halogen bulbs to LED.
17. Disconnected the old 3 camera switching system and mounted 3 7" monitors on the dash so I can see all cameras all the time. (whether the turn signal is on or off).
18. Added Ram mount articulating holder for Tablet for engine monitoring. (Wifi)
19. Added 2 360 Siphon RV Fume Extractor.
20. Changed out the Chair and the file cabinet for a 60" couch by Flexsteel. (Best thing we did)

One major repair. The coach power was 8.45 volt but the battery power was 12.65 volts. I found that the battery cable behind wall in the battery compartment was about 15 turns loose. Everything is the bus wasn't working correctly until I found the problem and tightened up the nut on the cable. Be careful when you do this. You should disconnect your battery source before entertaining this endeavor, otherwise you could arc-weld your wrench to the chassis.

I asked my wife today if she would like to sell it and get a newer one. She said, "Why". I had no answer.

You will love your new coach. BTW. My friend has a 45' Winnebago and I helped him add LED lights on his coach. I can tell you without a doubt after taking apart the Tiffin and the Winnebago, the Tiffin is better built, more solid, and better engineered. Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0703161658.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	139910  
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #6

You've been busy with the ungrades. I'm also a member of the Tiffin Owners Forum and can't find the upgrade link you are referring to. I'd like to see how you added sound to the turn signals ... can you point me to the upgrade link? Thanks ..
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:41 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/tiff...re-302763.html

Here is the link. I forgot to mention mod #23 by adding lights over the kitchen sink counter switched by the light over the sink. Look at post #14, #18, and the turn signal is #21.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #8

Thanks. My bad, I did see those upgrades. I thought you were referring to someplace on the Tiffin forum ... A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Index page On that forum I couldn't find anything about "upgrades". Thanks again. May have to attempt the blinker/beeper mod ... I did look at beepers on-line and see several kinds. Was looking at something less than 85db and/or perhaps adding a resistor so less volts would mean less sound. Thanks again.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
Thanks. My bad, I did see those upgrades. I thought you were referring to someplace on the Tiffin forum ... A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Index page On that forum I couldn't find anything about "upgrades". Thanks again. May have to attempt the blinker/beeper mod ... I did look at beepers on-line and see several kinds. Was looking at something less than 85db and/or perhaps adding a resistor so less volts would mean less sound. Thanks again.
Careful adding a resister. That will add an additional load to the turn signal relay and you may burn it up. I did notice some sounders that actually sound like turn signal clickers and one that you can program what to say. I opted to try this one first but now I am happy with the the sound. It is a little too loud still, but I plan to add some more noise dampening material. Otherwise I love it.