Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
'06 Phaeton Purchase - Purchase Warranty or not ?

Just purchased '06 Phaeton from dealer. They are suggesting purchase of an "Xtra Ride" warranty package. Any thoughts on the value of such a purchase ??
We're new to RVing.
SWFlaPhaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #2

Dealers make a handsome profit on warranties they sell to customers so it's in their best interest to do so. Whether to purchase a warranty or not is a highly opinionated decision that has been discussed on RV sites for years. I am one of those folks who would rather save for a rainy day than purchase a warranty.

Tiffin is a highly respected RV mfgr. that is known to stand behind their brand. If something dramatic happens to your RV and it is out of warranty (engine/tranny/etc.) you have to be prepared to pay for it or hope an extended warranty will cover it, so only you can decide what your comfort level is.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
My advise is to never buy a warranty from a dealer. The dealer makes money off of selling it to you so you are paying more than you would if you bought it directly. Not all warranties are the same: you have to read EVERYTHING that it does or does not cover before deciding whether or not to purchase one. Too often I read about someone who made a claim under their extended warranty only to find it that the policy "doesn't cover that". If you still want to consider one, look at several companies who offer warranties and compare coverage and dollars. It is just like buying auto insurance - shop and compare. All that being said, I have extended warranty coverage on mine. I thought and thought about it and decided that one major repair and the premium would pay for itself. But it is a gamble, pure and simple and I may have just thrown away a lot of money!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not a fan of these service contracts. They are expensive (we were quoted $3500 per year), and you need to be willing to document everything and fight for every penny.
Some people on this forum have been happy with their contracts but most of them have been willing to argue and fight with the provider in order to get things covered.
I prefer to save my own money and prioritize what needs to get fixed as I can afford it. (of course, if the Cummins engine dies (about $30000) I'll wish I had the service contract.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We purchased Extra Ride from our dealer when we bought our 2007 Winnebago Tour in 2011. We have used it twice -- once on the road (literally!) and once for Winnebago Factory service we had done to resolve a leaking slide and a water leak. Be aware that it does not cover inside furnishings like beds, sofas, etc. We have not regretted buying it.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We purchased an extended warranty from the dealer that was with Interstate National when we purchased our '06 Allegro Bay, if I recall it was about $3500 and was the policy that listed what is not covered, verses what is covered and it included tire road hazard policy. After a $4k generator repair and replacing two blown inner duals for $1400 last year, it has more than paid for itself...It will cover some of the Nevercold that is on its way out also...I like the peace of mind, but if cash flow is not a problem, you could probably opt out of it...your mileage may very.
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #7

We just purchased an 06 Phaeton last week too! We are purchasing a service contract through wholesalewarraties.net. It's an Interstate StarRV policy and it's also through Interstate National like TxRVMan. 3yr 36000 miles $200 deductible will be about $2000 less than the dealer and over $3000 less than Good Sam ESP. You may want to check them out. I'm working with Brittany.
kimfromsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #8

Extended warranties are not true warranties. They are service plans (meaning insurance). Like all insurance, it is based on profits, which means sometimes you win but you usually dont. I had one. Lost.

But, there are pros and cons to be considered. Here is some info:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/exte...me-146023.html

Happy trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase