Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2020, 03:52 AM   #1

07 Phaeton

Looking to upgrade from a gas to a diesel MH, an 07 Phaeton fits the budget!
Any particular problems to look for or ask about? Any info will be much appreciated!
baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #2

I am on our third phaeton in 6 years. Couldn’t be more pleased with the product and Tiffin support. Couple of things come to mind. Would pay close attention to the age and the condition of the tires as well as the batteries. Replacement costs can easily go into the thousands. Would also inspect the roof. If stored outside for all or the majority of the time, may have some cracking and or potential leak issues, both of which are also pricey to repair. If all works out wish you the best with your new unit.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #3

Great coach! I have an 08 Phaeton with the Atwood levelers. They will need replacing as parts are hard to come by. Otherwise I’m very happy with the coach.
HD539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:42 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
New used Phaeton

I have a 2005 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH. This is a very solid unit. Check the age of the tires, Michelin Tires provides directions on how to interpreted the tire markings. I have had several issues, all related to age, not quality. Tiffin customer service and the tiffin forum are great resources. I have been able to order replacement parts from Tiffin on line.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:45 AM   #5

Check the year the engine was made. An '07 might have an engine from '06 that fits inside a range of serial numbers you should run away from:

CERTAIN ISL CUMMINS CM850 DIESEL ENGINES PRODUCED FOR RECREATIONAL VEHICLE APPLICATIONS BETWEEN OCTOBER 17, 2005, AND APRIL 18, 2006, WITH ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER RANGE FROM 46543077 TO 46603939. THE CONNECTING ROD CONTAINS A MACHINING DEFECT IN THE WRIST PIN BUSHING OF THE ROD THAT COULD CAUSE SEIZURE OF THE PISTON PIN.

Also, check that the boots are intact on the tie rod ends. Replacement boots are not available separately. Ours were shot, and I replaced them this year as a preventive measure even though the tie rods themselves were still fine.

We have an '06 Allegro Bus and considering its age it's been great, though we have had problems with leaks through deteriorated fiberglass in the front cap, the leveling system, dashboard gauges, a bad bushing in the driver's side front slide, and (of all things) the electronically controlled toilet. Most of the rest of the things that have been irritating fall within the scope of "normal maintenance," like slideout adjustments and replacing plastic vents that won't hold their positions any more.

I like that ours, with its '05 Cummins ISL engine, is pre-DEF and pre-particulate filter, so it has fewer things to go wrong.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:43 PM   #6

I think that's a CAT C7 engine. Be sure you have a Cat service center to do the work on the engine. We had issues with finding a Cat center to do the work.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrhinino View Post
I think that's a CAT C7 engine. Be sure you have a Cat service center to do the work on the engine. We had issues with finding a Cat center to do the work.
I hadn't realized it, but they put two engines in the Phaeton, depending on the model. Only the 42QRH has the Cummins. The other three have the CAT.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:40 AM   #8

Thanks,
After your reply and others I think I'm going to look for an 08 and newer for that very reason.
Even though they started putting exhaust emissions on the Cummins after 07 it seems like the better choice.
baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by baer View Post
Thanks,
After your reply and others I think I'm going to look for an 08 and newer for that very reason.
Even though they started putting exhaust emissions on the Cummins after 07 it seems like the better choice.
I wouldn't rule out all '06 Cummins engines so quickly. There is nothing I know of *outside that range of serial numbers posted above* that makes the ISL400 undesirable. We have one in our '06 Bus. It does narrow the search a bit, though. All the '06 and '07 Buses have the ISL400. The two independent diesel mechanics I know well tell me it's a great engine.

Also, I see a lot more posts about DEF and particular filter problems here than I see about other Cummins or CAT pre-emissions engine problems.

Just more food for thought.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:55 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a 2004 Phaeton 38GH for 12 years.
Loved the coach!
Hated the CAT engine!
The CATs had a systemic issue with the crankcase breather blowing oil all over the rear radiator causing it to clog up and overheat. Required constant maintenance to keep it breathing. I would not buy another motorhome with a CAT in it.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:32 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baer View Post
Looking to upgrade from a gas to a diesel MH, an 07 Phaeton fits the budget!
Any particular problems to look for or ask about? Any info will be much appreciated!

Consider moving to a 2008 Phaeton or newer where the standard engine is the Cummins ISC 360 HP. Our 2009 is non def and performs very well. Overall an excellent coach. It is also pre-Spyder controls so none of those issues.
Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:49 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Call Tiffin and ask them what recalls were applicable to that unit and if they know if they were done on that unit. I have an 11 and it had roof rail recall, wet bay floor recall and left front slide floor recall. All three were done on my coach prior to our buying it and Tiffin knew that and shared that info with us. I am not sure if anupy on those issues went as far back as 07, but Tiffin will tell you.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phaeton