Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #1

100k or less. Which Tiffin for full timing?

Hi

I'm trying to get a handle on the model lineup for Tiffen in 2007-2007.

Our budget is max 100k. Which Tiffens should we look at for full time use?
00wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:32 AM   #2

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00wabbit View Post
Hi

We have a 2003 Allegro Bus 40DP. It has two slides and the washer/drier is NOT in the bedroom....which is how I prefer it. They made this model up to 2006 I believe. If not the Allegro Bus....then look at the Phaeton. Mostly the same layouts but maybe less up grades. Good luck.

Debbie & George
+2 Boston Terriers
ladybostons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Range of Tiffin Models?

I would love to have a "Bus" model; but, With a limit of 100k, the Allegro Bus series would be no more recent than the 2004 models I believe, based upon my observation. That leaves the remaining lineup: Phaeton, Allegro Bay, Red, Open Road, Breeze models in the running. Any number of which are well-suited for full-timing [and other owners will chime in].

FWIW, Full-timing needs varies greatly. You need to decide your particular needs & how you plan to live in her. Amount of entertaining,travel companions, dine-out, dine-in, resort -to- boon-docking, pets,hobbies... make for choices of one model over another, best determined specifically by you two. If you are very tall, short,etc. wife will drive...gives you bed size info, number of slides, shower stall size, circulation, ease-of-driving decisions.
Find the floorplan that you really suits your lifestyle and then look at the price element.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting discussion going on over at TRVN forum:

A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Login
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We love our 38' Allegro RED, and I feel that it has enough room to fulltime in, but you may have to look pretty hard to get a good '09 or '10 for $100K.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, we prefer an 5th wheel for full time use over a motorhome. This gives us only one drive line to maintain while will be driven on a regular basis.

If you are going to be traveling a lot and not staying fro months, the motorhome may work OK. With a motorhome, it should be driven (on the road) about once a month to exercise and get everything up to temperature for at least 30 minutes. Just letting it set and then run at idle is not good on the engine. It needs to be driven or properly set up for long term storage....just read the engine owners information.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Just letting it set and then run at idle is not good on the engine.
Actually that's not true. As long as the engine oil temp is high enough to burn off any condensation, idling is fine.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tiffin Model Archives

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00wabbit View Post
Hi

Brochure Archive | Tiffin Motorhomes
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to DavCor
I have to disagree with the idle time. Diesel engines do not like idle time. Once the engine is started, oil pressure rises to normal, the engine should then be placed in what is called "high idle." High idle rpm is 1200 to 1400, which can be maintain for a lengthy period. (I just finished the Freighliner Chassis school, and the instructor made this a major point.)
On the road in a Tiffin Allegro Red 34, with Blue Ox towing system. Reve, the cat, is Second Officer, who's duties are to lay quiet and do nothing. Donna, my bride, is the First Officer and Navigator . . . Dave drives.
DavCor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavCor View Post
(I just finished the Freighliner Chassis school, and the instructor made this a major point.)
Just curious ..... how old was the instructor? Back in the mechanical engine days, idling allowed a lot of unburned fuel into the oil. Electronic fuel injection took care of most of that. Same with cars and gas.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavCor View Post
I have to disagree with the idle time. Diesel engines do not like idle time. Once the engine is started, oil pressure rises to normal, the engine should then be placed in what is called "high idle." High idle rpm is 1200 to 1400, which can be maintain for a lengthy period. (I just finished the Freighliner Chassis school, and the instructor made this a major point.)
Then why do truckers always leave their engines idling when they stop to sleep?
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to DavCor
The instructor was in his 40s, I would think, and he was quoting directly from Cummins. The problem with high idle time is the destruction of the Particulate Filter, a very expensive item. Also, my 2012 Cummins manual indicates idle time 700 to 800 RPM should be avoided if possible, and no more than 3-5 minutes max. Of course, this is not possible in city traffic conditions, and therefore the on board computer keeps track of total idle time.
I don't know about trucks, I don't know if they are running with a Particulate Filter, or perhaps they too are running at "high idle" which you can do indefinitely. I'm no mechanic, and I'm still learning, but just repeating what Freightliner is putting out to their classes.
On the road in a Tiffin Allegro Red 34, with Blue Ox towing system. Reve, the cat, is Second Officer, who's duties are to lay quiet and do nothing. Donna, my bride, is the First Officer and Navigator . . . Dave drives.
DavCor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin