Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2021, 04:37 AM   #1

17 Phaeton 36GH Questions or Issues

Iím looking at upgrading from a 36í Southwind gas to a 2017 Phaeton 36GH. Was there any issues with the 2017? This has a 8000 KW. Do I need a 10,000 KW? No heated floor. Any complaints on narrow access around the bed. 380 Cummins looks to be enough power. I hope to get at least 8 MPG? Any complaints on narrow passage up front when slides are in? ( Coach has recliner chair) Just looking for pros and Cons. I really like the Coach. Thanks for your time.
Joe.
65Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 06:30 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2011 36 QSH Phaeton. The 8K generator powers the coach fine. We have very narrow access to the sides of the bed. We get in/out by crawling to the end of the bed. We don’t plan on getting a different coach, but if we ever do, space around the bed will be one thing we will be looking for. As we get older (mid 60s now) this could be a driving factor for a different coach.

We have talked about where to sleep if sick and needing quick access to the toilet. We agree that the best option in that case would be the pull out bed.

We love the coach, but like any coach it’s not perfect. Other things on the list (that we currently don’t have) if we ever change rigs are bath and a half, a tag axel attached to a longer coach and a fireplace.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #3

Our 2014 Allegro Bus has a 10k generator, but it also has heated floors, induction cooktop, & 3 heat pumps. It needs all 10k to run everything, but if you don't have all of those options I think you will be fine with 8k.

Our 37' has the 450hp ISL engine. Get 7.2-7.7 mpg.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:07 PM   #4

We have a 2014 36GH with 8K and no power issues. We also don't have heated floors and we are gas cooking. The rear bed is tight, but once there no issues. Like having the windows for each person at the head.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:17 PM   #5

8000 is enough. My Ellipse had a 8000. My 10,000 now is overkill but I guess for 3 AC its needed. If you have 2 AC you are good. The KW eater is the AC
I don’t have a heated floor, doesn’t bother me.
We have a few area rugs, one up in our living room, one in the bathroom, one in the bedroom.
I never felt cold feet, but I always wear my shoes or slippers.
Wife don’t care, we mostly RV in warm weather.
The only time we noticed it was on the way down to Florida in December, (2 days) once we got to Florida it was warm enough not to notice.
The 380 should be ok unless you live out West, then I say no.
Not sure the 380 has an engine brake. If not then out west will be not optimal. Those mountain passes are steep, engine brakes are really needed.
But here on the East, South, and Midwest, it’s all you need.
Count on 7 mpg plus or minus 1/2 mpg depending on weather.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #6

We have a 16 36GH that we ordered and observed the entire build process.
It has as all 16 Phaetons a 10KW generator and an exhaust brake (which proved adequate through extensive mountain driving in the West ---Eisenhower tunnel, Utah,
Colorado, etc. if driven responsibly.

If you go the the Tiffin web site, you can download any model and year brochure with all standard features, options, specs, etc.
Old Today, 09:41 AM   #7

We have the 2017 36GH and love it! We've had it a year now and camp every weekend. We have yet to find or see a floorplan we like better.

We have the 10k generator, but the only time we have used it was for the ACs while driving on very hot days. We do not do any boondocking (yet!)

The small space on the sides of the bed isn't great, but its not bad. I don't think I would want to extend the overall length of the RV just to get extra room on the sides of the bed.

I don't think it's narrow with the slides in. Make sure you turn your recliner with the back facing the isle and tuck all the way into the alcove by the fireplace.

Tags
phaeton