Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #1

1984 Allegro Shore Power question

Hello everyone! First Post! First RV! I have no idea what I am doing.

Hooked up the 30amp shore power (with 110/15amp adaptor) to a 15amp extension cord to the house. It has worked for weeks, but just the other day I hooked it back up and heard some buzzing from the 'boondocking unit'? (heard it was called that? no idea what it is) under the frig. Unplugged the shore power. Tried again a few days later and when I plugged it in the GFI tripped on my house plug. Turned off all the circuit breakers in the Allego and tried again - same problem - house GFI tripped.

Why would the house extension cord GFI trip if all the 110 circuit breakers are off in the motorhome?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
-Jake
FlyJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyJake View Post
Hello everyone! First Post! First RV! I have no idea what I am doing.

Hooked up the 30amp shore power (with 110/15amp adaptor) to a 15amp extension cord to the house. It has worked for weeks, but just the other day I hooked it back up and heard some buzzing from the 'boondocking unit'? (heard it was called that? no idea what it is) under the frig. Unplugged the shore power. Tried again a few days later and when I plugged it in the GFI tripped on my house plug. Turned off all the circuit breakers in the Allego and tried again - same problem - house GFI tripped.

Why would the house extension cord GFI trip if all the 110 circuit breakers are off in the motorhome?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
-Jake
You are gonna have to explain what the "Boondocking Unit " is. I have never heard that term.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:46 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure of your year but will assume what you are referring to is the converter. Not sure if you have an inverter that early of a model. Chances are it’s been damaged and that’s what is tripping the GFI. That buzzing sound was the converter.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #4

I'm with , cacie , haven't heard the term " boondocking unit " before .

Now , a previous owner may have installed some kind of power " inverter " to allow use of 120 volt appliances/ outlets when boondocking , and not wired it through the main circuit breaker panel .

I could be wrong , but I'm thinking your coach is too old to have a factory installed inverter.

If you can access the unit and take a picture or get a name and model #; we can provide more info.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Background - I got this 1984 Tiffin Allegro a few months ago from a friend who had it for years, last 4 yrs it just sat in his backyard. So I am doing lots of work on it to try and get it going again.

Here is the converter charger under the frig that was buzzing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201203_130133.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	310153   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201203_130109.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	310155  

Old 12-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #6

Well, it's not the TU 740 2 converter charger. I unplugged it from the outlet inside the RV and directly to the house extension cord and it buzzed/hummed.

Oh, and all the 12v works by the way.

Here is a picture of where the shore power comes into the RV. I wonder if it is the 30->15amp connector?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201203_130247.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	310156  
Old 12-03-2020, 01:56 PM   #7

Does your coach have an onboard generator , because the Todd Engineering box looks like a auto transfer switch.

Unfortunately Todd Engineering went under in 2008 so we can't ask them .
Old 12-03-2020, 02:10 PM   #8

Yes, this Allegro does have an Oman generator. I can try firing it up in a few hrs.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #9

Time for a little RV electrical 101 .

Your coach systems that operate from shore power or off the generator are all 120 volt ; the 30 amp , or 15 amp supply is 120 volt .
The amp rating is the amount of load ( appliances running etc) the supply will tolerate without being over loaded and tripping the supply circuit breaker .
With an adaptor in the RV power cord , you cannot run all your coach 120 volt systems at the same time, without tripping the; 15 amp breaker; in the house.
If you were in an RV park and plugged into a 30 amp supply you could use more of the coach 120 volt systems, because you'd have double the amps available .

Tripping the GFCI , is another matter , that could indicate issues with the 120 volt heater in the fridge , or the electric side of the water heater.
I'll see if I can link you to a post where tracing down the GFCI tripping is detailed.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyJake View Post
Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Background - I got this 1984 Tiffin Allegro a few months ago from a friend who had it for years, last 4 yrs it just sat in his backyard. So I am doing lots of work on it to try and get it going again.

Here is the converter charger under the frig that was buzzing
That is the 12-volt power supply to provide all the lighting in your coach and charge the battery. It gets it's 120-volt power from the coach circuit breaker panel. It changes 120 volts to 12 volts.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just because the converter buzzed and hummed does not make it OK. Is it putting out 12 volts ?
The second picture is what appears to be a transfer switch. Does it work?
Here is a link to some information on your converter. http://www.bdub.net/manuals/triad-utrad.pdf
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Time for a little RV electrical 101 .
Tripping the GFCI , is another matter , that could indicate issues with the 120 volt heater in the fridge , or the electric side of the water heater.
I'll see if I can link you to a post where tracing down the GFCI tripping is detailed.
The strange thing is, I set all the 120v breakers in the RV to off and the shore GFCI is still tripping.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Does your coach have an onboard generator , because the Todd Engineering box looks like a auto transfer switch.

Unfortunately Todd Engineering went under in 2008 so we can't ask them .
If I run the Oman and am able to use 120V inside the RV what does that tell us?

If I run the Oman and am NOT able to use any 120V inside the RV - what does that mean?
Old 12-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
That is the 12-volt power supply to provide all the lighting in your coach and charge the battery. It gets it's 120-volt power from the coach circuit breaker panel. It changes 120 volts to 12 volts.
Ah, gotcha! So I can charge my 12v batteries via the converter charger when I am on shore power or running the Oman Gen.

Tags
allegro, power, shore power