RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2000 34 ft ALLEGRO BAY

I've had my 34 ft m/h closing in on one year. I'm 70 years young and enjoy making 100 to 300 mile trips, nothing big yet, and spending quality time with the bride and occasionally another friend or two that have m/hs.

I've had to spend some money on the unit here and there, nothing big. I put new tires on it when I purchased it from the prior owners (thanks to reading your advice). They are a Chinese brand Hercules 245 70R 19.5 and I run around 95 lbs(cold). The sticker just inside the driver side says to put 80 lbs and the tire says 110 lbs. I don't know anything about weighing each axle and doing things that are suggested in the threads.

The prior owner used Amsoil oil and filter and so I do the same thing. The unit by new standards is dated (yesterdays colors and furnishings) but the interior is in great shape. The outside is a little faded but it looks pretty good for being 17 years old. I did put a lazy boy recliner in the unit for the bride; she really likes it and so do I.

Now you know as much as I do about my motorhome. I am sometimes envious of the new, big luxury units. Mine is paid for, treats me just fine, but if someone wants to give me a new one then I'll meet you halfway.

I'm putting this out there because I'm sure there are lots of us older geezers wish they could afford the newer models but since I can't, I'm happy with my rig. I believe the important thing is to put miles on it and have fun until either it or me ain't safe anymore, then hang it up.

Hope I haven't wasted your time if you are reading this. I just got back from Myrtle Beach last week, spent four days and really had a blast.

shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2017, 06:09 AM   #2

might want to have new shocks installed and have sway-bar bushing looked at. now that you've been to myrtle beach, you need to check out smokey mtns. Dave

allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #3

That's a great way to celebrate this gift of life!

Congrats on being smart enough to realize the wonderful gift and celebrating it to the max!

Happy trails my friend!
WNYtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Shocks & sway bar bushings?

Help me out with this, why do you think I need this? I must admit that I have a little swaying at times and the wind does funny things with the unit. I guess this would help.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Just ordered 4 Bilstien shocks for the m/h. Got all four for $400 total, including tax and shipping.

I will have new shocks installed early next week. Thanks for the tip; this is why the site is worthwhile.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:03 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shot View Post
I put new tires on it when I purchased it from the prior owners (thanks to reading your advice). They are a Chinese brand Hercules 245 70R 19.5 and I run around 95 lbs(cold). The sticker just inside the driver side says to put 80 lbs and the tire says 110 lbs. I don't know anything about weighing each axle and doing things that are suggested in the threads.
Tire pressure depends on how much weight is on each wheel or axle. If you don't know that you should get it weighed. Many truck stops have scales and the cost is about $10-$15. Otherwise go with the 80 lbs that is on the sticker. The manufacturer knows how much the unit weighs and they make an assumption of how much additions items you are bringing along. The 110 lbs would be the maximum you would be able to inflate to and is for a coach that weighs more but uses the same size tires.
RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shot View Post
Just ordered 4 Bilstien shocks for the m/h. Got all four for $400 total, including tax and shipping.

I will have new shocks installed early next week. Thanks for the tip; this is why the site is worthwhile.
Shocks and rear bushings installed. Thanks for the advice; I drove it from the shop and boy what a difference. I will be going to Lexington, NC this coming week and can't wait to really test the ride.

Tags
allegro