Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #1

2006 Tiffin Allegro Bay 34XB

Wondering if anyone with this model or has owned this model what they think or thought? Diesel engine. I wonder how the noise is from the engine and the power it has. I think it is a front engine not a DP. What the avg retail price is now? Anything that should be looked for as far concerns?
Thank you for looking and responding
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the forum.

It has either a Ford V10 or Workhorse chassis/ Chevy 8.1L . It’s not a diesel. Mine is the Chevy & it’s so quiet that many have seemed surprised that it’s a gasser while ideling in the campground. Contrary to the popular conception, DW & I can talk comfortably in the cockpit while underway without any problems whatsoever. Mountain-steep grades warrant lower gearing and the accompanying engine noise; but we have no complaints on pulling power nor sound as it is engine/tranny sized to suit. Toad hitch is 5K rating & we tow 4K automobile with no issues whatsoever. Never know it’s there.

We fell in love with the floor plan and the specious wardrobe spanning across the rear cap. Other models suffer from smaller size wardrobes. Interior storage is the best I’ve seen in a 34 footer. We have a Splindide combo-washer-dryer. Great appliance. Lavatory counterspace is one of the more generous layouts, we have plenty of storage in there. Woodwork and trim is top-notch, the carpet/tile so-so and the wallpaper/ window valences very appealing. Lighting fixtures & Plumbing brasswork are very good quality and hold up very well. Appliances and rooftop units are hearty and great performers as well. Not a problem with any of ours. Insulated double-pane glass windows are a must-have for us both for the sound-proofing; but more important: thermal insulation it affords. Basement storage is quite generous considering the limitations of the gasser chassis; but I find it all suitable. We can seat four comfortably with the two slideouts being just right for our needs without missing-out with the 4-slide. Overall, we are well pleased with this floorplan selection. FWIW: two friends full-time in their 34XB & frequent the Rockies and northwest US.

My ’04 had the Bosch brake recall done, the Dometic fridge heat guard installed, and the Actia instrument panel Pixel-drop display problems. Check for these campaign’s resolvement if they apply to your year model. [Brake work would have a yellow paper decal next to the master cylinder. Fridge will have a sheetmetal guard surrounding the outside burner. Instrument cluster LCD Display will be clearly legible without any horizontal lines ,or. noticeable image loss.] Again, these apply to my year & might not to the ’06 model; but, you will appear to be knowledgeable in this regard. Check the date on tires and use that upgrade if needed as a bargaining point. Patio canopy might have some wear; but it’s a minor item. See if vehicle maintenance log done and check the entertainment wiring for upgrades for DVD or HD TV. Most owners cannot resist the temptation to customize.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #3

The saleslady says it is on a Fred chassis and has a 300 Cummins Diesel. I take it is in the front end. I haven't any pictures it is coming next month as a trade in. Do you know how much to take off the retail of a used motorhome? I now when I bought my travel trailer I took off 25% but that was new.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2008 Allegro Bay 34XB on a FRED chassis. It has been great. It (like most others) has it pro's and con's but for us is great. They like Koni shocks for an upgrade in ride. Not sure what parking brake system it has but the J71/J72 were problematic. Ours has been removed and a foot operated parking brake with a parking pawl upgrade to the transmission was installed. The disc brake calipers were replaced under warranty. The ECM failed on the Cummins and that was done under warranty as well. We really love what it provides us overall.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
love ours

We have a 2007 34XB and love it. Easy to drive and the noise is not bad. It is not as loud as a Gas unit we borrowed. We put 13 K on it last year going to ball games and it averaged 10 MPG . SOme tanks more some less. We try to stay off interstae and drive little highways. We see more that way and drive 55 to 60 which seems to help. If this helps, the unit had 22K on it when we bought it last August and we paid $69K Great coach for the dollar I think. We have had some minor issues ( missing stabilizer bushing, minor slide issue) but that has been it. Great unit for your first DP. Good luck

Tags
tiffin