Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2007 allegro bus stuck basement doors

The other day I tried to open the first two basement doors on pass side. They were both difficult to close. After lots of pushing and pulling I got them to latch. I thought because the coach on a slight incline at dmv parking area is what caused problem. After the license ride I parked her in garage and leveled and put jacks down. The two doors were now real difficult to open. I got the first one with some effort but the second was jammed very tight to overhead. I finally was able to use two screw dirvers and get enough leverage to pop door open. I could find nothing that would indicate why it happened. Do you think there is a sagging problem in the chassis/coach. If so any idea why. One of reasons why I liked Tiffins was sturdy side open doors. Perhaps I was wrong.
dieseldug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:08 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Look at the door edges for signs of binding with that much force to open them there will be some type of scrapes it could be a screw that has backed out or broken off
Old 05-31-2012, 07:15 AM   #3

If the problem is in the striker/catch you should call Tiffan and ask them to send you the new style of catch. I had an 08 that had same problems and the new hardware is adjustable enough to solve the problem.
Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #4

dieseldug, have you checked the screws holding the door to the hinge? There is a series of Phillips screws in the hinge end and I've found they tend to loosen quite often. Of course the hinge needs to be lubed periodically.

Another problem I've seen is that if the coach frame is twisted some, either due to a jack problem, or the rig sitting on uneven ground when the air bags are deflated, the basement doors can bind at the top. You might be able to solve the problem by starting the engine, letting the bags air up, and checking then.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Pigman1

Thanks, I think you are right that it is a jack/suspension issue. I noted one of the jacks had sunk into soft gravel. I've taken it off jacks and the doors are not perfect but work better. The screws in the hinges were all ok. I am heading on the road tomorrow so we'll see how they do. I see you have a silverado toad. My 2005 wouldn't allow wheels down towing so I got the jeep. Is urs a z71 or do u use a dolly?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #6

The GM's with 4WD can all be pulled 4 down. We had an 06 Colorado that we bought specifically as a toad and needed something bigger so we went to the Z71 Silverado. Now we can put our full size chest freezer in the back when we fish salmon and halibut in Alaska. When we were looking for a full size pickup I checked them all and the GM's were the only one you could pull 4 down. The Fords are supposed to do the same now, but they just reneged on some of their other models being towable. I'll stick with GM for now at least till Ford gets their act together. Dodge and Toyota don't seem the least interested in that part of the market.

Good luck with the doors.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry for not responding earlier

I am on the road and haven't looked at email. Thanks for your help on the doors although now they take turns deciding which ones to bind up. Today the water pump wouldn't run. My late wife never wanted to rv so after she passed I decided to go where no man.... I'm convinced that she is up there saying I told you not to rv. Anyway I hope i get things working. Next time u have extra halibut let me know and I'll help you with it.