Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2021, 08:43 AM   #1

2011 Allegro Cable Wiring

We have a 2011 Allegro Bus 43QGP. I am trying to find out how the TV cables for all four TV's are connected. I replaced the inside TV's with Samsung Smart TV's and can not figure how all the TV's are interconnected to the outside cable connection. I also need information on the cable connections for the antenna switch. Does anyone have a schematic from Tiffin on the cable/antenna wiring or know how this system is wired? Thank you.
Greg Findon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2021, 07:34 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Greg,
I am sorry that I cannot assist you, but I would like to encourage you to write a complaint here about the absolute lack of documentation, especially electrical wiring. There are inline fuses at various places. not shown anyplace, and Tiffin should make these drawings they created and used to wire these motor homes. They should be online by year and model and in addition, this should include all TV, and sound systems cables, wires, SPLITTERS, ect. Your issue is happening every day, and only all of (us) owners commenting will help get this corrected.

Thank you Jerry
jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
The outside cable coax and the OTA antenna coax both are routed to the Antenna/Cable switch. From there a single coax goes to a splitter that sends the signal to all TVs.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
The outside cable coax and the OTA antenna coax both are routed to the Antenna/Cable switch. From there a single coax goes to a splitter that sends the signal to all TVs.

I'm trying to troubleshoot poor cable reception on my Allegro Red 37BA.
Your statement is exactly what I see here but I'm getting nowhere fixing my poor signal.

I suspect the problem is the switch and will tear into that next. Sure would be nice to have some guidance.

What I've done is prove excellent signal from RV site by running spare cable direct to a single TV. It's beautiful.

Run that same cable to input of splitter and it is no better than when hooked up in the water compartment.

Switch from cable to OTA and the picture on 2 tv's (I didn't try them all) is adequate.

The antenna switch is wired with a connection for cable, 3 tv's, radio, and antenna. 2 of the tv connections are unused. That leaves cable (presumably input), tv (presumable out to splitter), radio, and antenna (presumably OTA input). So when I try direct connection from RV Site to tv (presumably splitter) I get no signal. I'm next looking to use ohm meter to verify which cable on the switch goes to splitter.

Maybe the electronics on the cable side of the switch is bad. The lack of a wiring diagram is a real headache.

If anyone has insight to the technical side of this cable/OTA switch I'd like to hear about it. I'd really like to know if I could swap from one tv connection to another on that switch. And does the LG Blu-Ray Home Theater & Surround Sound box have anything to do with all this? Mine is unplugged because I don't have a need for it. Turning it on doesn't seem to make a difference but I'd like verification of this.

thanks
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:29 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffinUser View Post
What I've done is prove excellent signal from RV site by running spare cable direct to a single TV. It's beautiful.

Run that same cable to input of splitter and it is no better than when hooked up in the water compartment.
Try running that cable to each of the TV connections coming OUT of the splitter. You'll have to disconnect them one by one and use a coupler to join them together. This will determine if there's a problem with the splitter or perhaps one of the output lines is shorted, diminishing the signal on all output lines. If you get a good picture, test the line from the wet bay to the switch by hooking up the external cable to the CABLE terminal in the wet bay then connecting a coax going to one of the TVs via coupler to the Cable coax line that normally goes into the switch. You're just bypassing the switch and splitter by doing that. You have to isolate each segment to determine where the problem is: cable from wet bay, switch/amplifier, splitter or TV coax

Quote:
Maybe the electronics on the cable side of the switch is bad. The lack of a wiring diagram is a real headache.
It should be a rather simple thing to visualize:
1) The coax from the outside antenna goes to the switch/amplifier
2) The coax from the wet bay ("CABLE") also goes to the switch/amplifier
3) The output from the switch/amplifier goes to the splitter input. If the Antenna option is chosen, that signal is amplified and goes to the splitter. If the Cable option is chosen, that signal goes to the splitter without being amplified.
4) The splitter outputs go to each of the TVs (via coax)

Quote:
does the LG Blu-Ray Home Theater & Surround Sound box have anything to do with all this?
It shouldn't. The output from that (and satellite receiver if connected) is via HDMI. Those are input to a splitter (or two) that converts the signal from HDMI to Ethernet. The Ethernet cables terminate behind each TV and are fed into a converter that translates the signal back to HDMI, plugging into the back of each TV. You use the INPUT function of the TV to select OTA ("TV") or HDMI1, HDMI2, etc. HDMI shouldn't interfere at all with the OTA signal on the coax. If not using the Blu-Ray (or satellite), you shouldn't have the switch on that powers the splitters and the fan. The splitters generally produce a lot of heat (thus needing the fan) and the more you run them, the quicker they end up dead. The converters behind each TV (2 for each TV) are on all the time...eventually I may wire in switches to turn them on only when wanting to view an HDMI signal.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskibuff View Post
Try running that cable to each of the TV connections coming OUT of the splitter.
Iíve done all that, only for two of the TVís. The only thing Iíve found that works, as mentioned in my post, is the direct connect to the cable connector on the tv from outside feed.

Quote:
It should be a rather simple thing to visualize:
1) The coax from the outside antenna goes to the switch/amplifier
2) The coax from the wet bay ("CABLE") also goes to the switch/amplifier
3) The output from the switch/amplifier goes to the splitter input. If the Antenna option is chosen, that signal is amplified and goes to the splitter. If the Cable option is chosen, that signal goes to the splitter without being amplified.
4) The splitter outputs go to each of the TVs (via coax)
Agreed, no problem envisioning that. I was more interested in the physical path, especially the run from wet bay to splitter. If that cable is bad my options are not good. I forgot to bring my fluke meter. If I had that I could check shorts & continuity.

Quote:
It shouldn't. The output from that (and satellite receiver if connected) is via HDMI. Those are input to a splitter (or two) that converts the signal from HDMI to Ethernet.
Ok, Iím less familiar w/ HDMI and fairly certain there is not ethernet involved in my tv setup, unless those rectangular hdmi connectors serve as ethernet also. My tvís do have an ethernet connector but they are unused.

Thanks for confirming the situation w/ blu-ray. I suspected such but since this issue is so strange I needed confirmation to rule out this possibility.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:01 PM   #7

Wrapping up the issues with my cable:

Today I traveled to a new destination. Cable works perfectly.
No idea why prior site did not work through antenna switch but worked ok with a direct connection. But now I know if it does not work it is not me.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:17 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I’m less familiar w/ HDMI and fairly certain there is not ethernet involved in my tv setup, unless those rectangular hdmi connectors serve as ethernet also.
I'm not sure what year your RED is, but maybe it doesn't use the Ethernet conversion. I'm assuming that running extended HDMI runs was degrading the signal so by converting it to Ethernet (which looks like the old phone connector cables) then back again would alleviate signal loss.

Quote:
I traveled to a new destination. Cable works perfectly. No idea why prior site did not work through
That is strange (cue the "Twilight Zone" music). Some mysteries unravel themselves over time though.

Tags
allegro, cable, wiring