Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2021, 07:25 AM   #1

2011 Tiffin Breeze DPF issue

We just bought a 2011 Breeze 3 weeks ago and on our maiden voyage to help our daughter move we got almost home and the Diesel Particulate Filter light came on while cruising down the interstate. It went out again in about 10-15 minutes. About 30 minutes later it came on again and about 10 minutes later it started to flash. I remembered something about that meant the filter was almost full and I should stop. I needed fuel so we stopped at a gas station to refill. We then pulled over to one side in the parking area at the station and pulled out all the manuals to see what had to be done. There was not even a mention anywhere in the Tiffin documentation about the idiot lights just some stuff obviously from Navistar about the use of the Maxforce 7 engine in trucks and doing a "parked Regeneration". At that point the STOP idiot light came on so ?I turned off the engine and called Roadside Rescue and had it towed.

Have to wait until tomorrow to find out if the RV dealer that they towed to is even capable of fixing the issue. Lucky for us this happened only 60 miles from home not somewhere in the 1800 miles we traveled so we could drive home in our toad.

I guess my question is has anyone had this happen to them and what was the resolution? Could this have been picked up by the dealer that we bought it from? (They are an authorized dealer for Tiffin). Is there any better documentation for these other than the woefully inadequate documentation from Tiffin? Any guidance at all would be helpful.
tlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #2

Giving this a bump so it stays up front because I want to know this information as well. I just picked up a 2012 32 Breeze. Took it on a couple of runs and she runs great. Being a 2012 I am sure some maintenance needs to be done for the filter eventually and would like to know what to do.

I would also post this over on the Tiffin Network Forum. Those folks have seen it all and can answer just about any question. I remember reading the lights can be reset back to full life, but that doesn’t help if the filter is really full.

What state are you in? I have an excellent diesel shop I could recommend in RI if needed.
Hpozzuoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #3

"Parked Regeneration" is the same as a "forced regeneration" and any tech familiar with the Maxxforce engine should know how to do it. If successful, it will burn off the accumulated soot inside the DPF, clear the code, extinguish the warning light, and you'll be on your way.

If it doesn't work, you will likely need the DPF removed and either physically cleaned in a facility, or a new DPF installed. Given the age of your MH, expect a new DPF if the Parked Regeneration doesn't solve the issue, unless a PO has already replace the OG DPF.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 02:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
Giving this a bump so it stays up front because I want to know this information as well. I just picked up a 2012 32 Breeze. Took it on a couple of runs and she runs great. Being a 2012 I am sure some maintenance needs to be done for the filter eventually and would like to know what to do.

I would also post this over on the Tiffin Network Forum. Those folks have seen it all and can answer just about any question. I remember reading the lights can be reset back to full life, but that doesn’t help if the filter is really full.

What state are you in? I have an excellent diesel shop I could recommend in RI if needed.
I am in FL so RI is way too far.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:58 PM   #5

Well our Breeze was towed to the local International dealer and they finally got to looking at the issue. So far they have found a leaking exhaust manifold gasket and some other issues unrelated to the DPF problem. They did not have enough time on friday so they will be looking at it Monday. Is it possible that an exhaust leak could cause this?

Good thing this happened only 70 miles from home.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:31 PM   #6

Sorry it’s taking so long to get this sorted. I would be happy they found the few issues they did, but they should not affect the DPF issue. I spoke with a breeze owner who gave me the specifics for a new filter and how to install. It’s a pretty easy process, aside from the cost of the filter. The below is what he sent me. The weight is important because when soot accumulates it adds weight. When they try to burn it off they can weigh it and see if they got a good amount. He went with a Redline filter vs a Maxforce. Significant price difference. The filter is located near the rear driver side wheel and held on by 2 brackets.

“This part number is for a 2013. Navistar # 2605837C1 Redline # REP52982 Born on weight 15555g.”
Hpozzuoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #7

Followup on the issue with the DPF filter.

The pandemic caused some issues with getting the coach worked on. They finished repairing the problem with the DPF filter. After the right exhaust gasket was replaced the shop ran a stationary regen which cleared the fault lights on the dash. It runs fine now.

Tags
breeze, tiffin, tiffin breeze