Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #1

2012 Allegro 36la living room slide

New to me coach and noticed there are no slide locks on either the large room hydraulic slide nor the electric bedroom slide.
Not sure what keeps it in if I ever had a hose burst. While I was reviewing the manual, I noticed this procedure to retract the slide. It says to have the engine running. Why?

3. With the ignition switch in the “on” position and the engine running with the park brake set, push the “in” portion of the rocker switch; allow the slide-out room to go to its fully-retracted position—at this point, release the rocker switch (this locks the room into position).
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Having the engine running is because it takes a high number of amps to run the hydraulic pump. This just assures that you have enough amps/volts for an easy retraction (or deployment). The alternative is just leave your coach plugged in (just don't forget to unplug).

Glad to see you are reading the manual - so many don't. You will, however, find items which don't make a lot of sense for your particular coach. Feel free to ignore them.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #3

36LA

First of all congrats on your new coach. You are going to love it. We sure do.
No need for locking bars on most newer setups. Never had any on our 5th wheel or on our coach. Did have a trailer which came with them and personally I think more damage is done forgetting to remove the bars than having a slide go out unintentionally.
PS don't forget to double check that drivers seat is fully forward before extending or retracting the living room slide!!!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #4

Thanks guys, still wondering what keeps the hydraulic slide from moving out in the event of a catastrophic pressure failure.
I say this because 3 years ago in my previous coach, a 1998 Chieftain, I had a hose burst while driving west on I-80 just west of Wendover NV. It was horrifying to see the large room slide begin moving out. Found a turnout on the highway thankfully. If I could have just wenched the slide back in using the on board equipment for that purpose, I would have been on my way in an hour. Unfortunately, three storage bays are connected to the underside of the slide on this model. The assembly is hinged on the outside and bolted up on the inside. The bolts sheared off and the bay assembly was hanging down towards the ground on its hinges. No toad this trip so had a mobil truck repair guy run me back and forth to Wendover til I could jury rig this thing together.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #5

I believe there are ratcheting gears that prevent the slide from inching out. Ours has never budged an inch!
Summerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #6

I too have a 36 LA and haven't had slide issues yet. Hope I didn't jinx myself! On my previous South Wind, the slides had an electric brake on them , when you pushed the switch to extend or retract , the brake was released allowing the slide to move. When you released the switch, the brake locked down regardless where the slide was located.

Tags
slide