Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2022, 01:38 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2012 Phaeton 36QSH Newbie Questions

Does this model have heating for the fresh water tank? If not, are there potential solutions, and any other suggestions either way. Is the water tank in an insulated area? Also - is there a Tiffin Maintenance Kit one can purchase re the things mobile techs are unlikely to have on hand like special belts or filters? or checklists of spare parts or tools (beyond the basics) Tiffin owners find helpful to bring along? Gary and I are just about total newbies (after a few driving lessons from brother and sister-in-law, drove it from FL where bought used and brought to Nebraska last spring - great but only experience). Bro and wife are experienced Newmar 44' DP folks and suggested I ask this forum. We need to drive RV down to FL in late Oct/early Nov. We wouldn't be traveling then otherwise but we need to stage the RV to be at brother's FL home to then bring to RV Park near the hospital (next to their Newmar) for the 100 days or more backup caregiving for brother during required outpatient daily Dr visits post-lung transplant (date of course unknown). We can't go earlier than late Oct but do then have time to wait out or bypass weather esp if we go straight south then east. Knowing we can heat BTW love the Tiffin and have followed and appreciated IRV2 for about a year prior to purchase (again on brother's suggestion along with Sanicon & SeeLevel). I apologize if there are threads on these questions I missed. Joss
YogaNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2022, 01:54 PM   #2

First congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the RV family. Don’t know the answer to your water tank questions, and since you’re coming to Florida, I doubt your water tank will freeze. For storage in the Nebraska winters, you drain your tank and winterize your coach you’ll be fine. I’m on my third tiffin and have never heard of a standard maintenance kit. I’m sure you could pick up the usual maintenance parts, but unless you are mechanically inclined and have all the right tools, will only help you when the roadside assistance truck shows up. Others will tell you about the exhaustive list of items they carry, but that’s all personal preference. I just bring my credit card. Best wishes and blessings to your brother for a speedy recovery.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:24 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
To answer your tank question, the holding tanks are kept warm by the furnace. If you have propane, it's the rear furnace. If you have AquaHot, there is a heater vent in the wet bay with its own thermostat. If the cold gets extreme, like in the single digits or below a small 200watt heater or a heat lamp in the bay will help boost the heat. With the small heater and furnaces set at about 50 degrees ours has been just fine in short term storage to 6 below zero. If you are staying in the coach and the temps are set to comfortable you probably won't even need the supplemental heater. I would suggest a remote temperature sensor just so you can monitor the wet bay area.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:57 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks so much

Thanks so much. Both suggestions are very helpful. I agree re credit card We don't have our own but rent space in an indoor storage facility here in NE with climate control. The info about the wet bay will help my peace of mind as we for the first portion of our trip getting of NE/MO in the uncertain weather at that time of the year. And thanks for the suggestion re the maintenance kit. Our one glitch on the FL to NE trip was replacing the chassis batteries with wonderful (and quick) mobile tech outside St. Louis in St. Peters. Thanks again. Joss
Old 09-24-2022, 11:35 PM   #5

To further what Lt Dan said. Your rear furnace heats the wet bay (AquaHot was not an option on the 2012 Phaeton). On my 36QSH I did as Lt Dan suggested and put a wireless thermometer in the wet bay with a display inside the motorhome. The unit I chose had an alarm setting so that I would be alerted if the temperature fell below a set point of my choosing. I regularly camped in temperatures in the high twenties at night and never had a problem. The key is to use the rear furnace in cold temps, not just the front one.
Old 09-25-2022, 11:39 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks again

This has been so helpful in relieving my anxiety about a late Oct/early Nov trip through the Midwest on our way to FL. We have not used the furnace yet so will check this out b4 we go ó and will definitely get the temp monitor into the wet bay. I really appreciate this forum generally and these responses specifically esp info from a 2012 Phaeton 36QSH owner or former owner. Joss
Old 09-26-2022, 12:09 AM   #7

My previous coach was a 2012 36QSH. I traveled numerous times in single digit (F) temps. The only issue that I ever had was a water heater line ( I think the inlet) freezing. It normally took about an hour after the bedroom bed slide was extended for everything to start working.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:21 AM   #8

One tangental comment about your furnaces. On my 36QSH I had to replace both furnaces due to mud dobbers making nests inside the furnaces. Being that you will be in Florida I recommend you install insect screens.

https://www.campingworld.com/flying-insect-screen-for-duo-therm-suburban-and-durotherm-furnaces-37390.html
zombiewoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, phaeton