Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2022, 08:22 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2012 Phaeton Tag axle question

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I have read the whole 2012 Phaeton owners manual on the Tiffin website and there is zero mention of the tag axle operation.

We're picking up our unit Saturday and I'm just trying to learn as much of the new Class A stuff ahead of time so I can ask good questions during inspection and pickup, etc.

So what controls is a 2012 equipped with for the tag axle?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2022, 09:21 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is really nothing to know. Just leave the switch in auto. It will automatically dump when going in reverse and automatically go back in operation when going forward at 8-10 mph. Only time you do a manual dump is tight turns in Rv parks. That is the only time I touch the dump switch
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:32 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
There is really nothing to know. Just leave the switch in auto. It will automatically dump when going in reverse and automatically go back in operation when going forward at 8-10 mph. Only time you do a manual dump is tight turns in Rv parks. That is the only time I touch the dump switch
Thanks! And people use "Disable" to prevent it from releasing pressure, right - save your tailpipe on a steep driveway, etc?
Old 01-10-2022, 10:22 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know what disable does as I don't have that on my Bus
Old 01-10-2022, 11:43 AM   #5

If you have a disable switch (I've never seen one) it wouldn't matter as far as what the tag will support. You have 60/40 proportioning valves that determining what the drive and tag axles carry. That ratio remains the same regardless of the terrain. When you go up a steep drive, the tag will not support more weight to keep the rear of the coach higher.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:42 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you pick up the new coach?? If so how do you like it?? Any issues???
Old 01-19-2022, 06:14 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Did you pick up the new coach?? If so how do you like it?? Any issues???
Thanks for checking on me! There was an 11th hour generator board replacement but the LazyDays staff came through and got it put in and working with time for my independent inspector to check the coach out before we came to pick it up.

We left Tampa about 3pm Saturday - it really is like buying a car AND a house - drove almost to Macon, GA and camped. Made it home Sunday afternoon. Got to drive through the "SNOWSTORM" going around Atlanta and West towards Birmingham.

Biggest issue was the storage facility I got a unit at is way, way, way too small. It was meant to be temporary anyway; but still a pain. I've already got a better unit ready with cover with a promise of electricity Feb 1, so I'm just trying to find time to get over there with a spotter and extricate the beast from it's current spot.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:34 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad all went OK for you. We had a similar generator issue. Worked during PDI last February. We were at their Nashville location. The Ice storm came in the next day there and we lost power. Went to start generator and nothing. Next door neighbor ran extension cord over from his rig to my battery charger to keep batteries up so we had heat overnight. They sent a service tech out next morning in 5 degree weather and fixed it. Our issue was a bad relay which was a regular auto relay we got at NAPA down the street for 7 bucks. I ended up replacing all three of them.

Tags
phaeton, tag axle