Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2016, 07:29 PM   #1

2013 Tiffin Allegro QBA - No Coach Power when plugged into Shore Power

When I plug into 50 AMP shore power, I do not receive power in the coach. The two blue lights on the cord are on, and I even hear the "click" when plugged in. If I turn on the generator, while plugged into shore power, I get power. I turn off the generator, while plugged into shore power, I have power.

I am thinking must be a bad ATS(Automatic Transfer Switch)?

Anyone experience this?
TiffnAllegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you are right.
when you plug into shore power you should hear a solid Thunk (more than a Click)

While plugged in, bang on the ATS with your fist or a rubber mallet, sometimes it sticks.

Regards,

Dan
Old 05-15-2016, 07:22 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
The transfer switch is easy to access. Before you do that you may want to verify that you have 120 volts at each leg at the pedestal. If you do I would take the cover off with the generator not running and the shore power cord not plugged in. I would inspect all connection and look at the contacts. With the cover still off start the generator and let it run until you have power in the coach and then shut it down. Plug back in and have someone turn the breaker on while you observe the transfer switch to see if the contacts pull in on the shore power side. If it does not it could be a bad transfer switch or a bad power cord. If you have a test meter and feel confident enough to use it you can test at the transfer switch to see if you are getting 120 volts at each leg at the transfer switch.

While you have the cover off the transfer switch and have all power off it would be a good time to tighten all the connections.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #4

Yeah, transfer switch. Pull the cover off and check that all wires (especially the lighter sensor wires) are connected, tight and not burned through at the connectors. If they were not tight enough when installed, the connection will tend to start generating heat. As it runs hotter, resistance goes up, and more heat generated until it burns off.

If the switch is bad Tiffin will have a replacement. They will also help you with troubleshooting over the phone. I had a transfer switch that started pounding for no reason. Sounded like someone pounding on the side of the Bus HARD with a hammer. Tiffin sent a new one as I was still under warranty, but these switches going bad is not an isolated problem. The change-out was very easy once I took a picture and labeled wires.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:04 PM   #5

Thanks all for your feedback. I did have some time on my hands today, and did some trouble shooting:
Opened up the ATS case
Tightened all the screws, none were loose at all
Plugged into Shore Power
The AC Switch did not retract, stayed in current position
Turned on the Generator
The Generator switch did retract
Turned off the Generator
AC switch now retraced
Generator switch back to original position

Called Tiffin, even they thought it was weird, that the generator would trigger the AC switch to work. Part cost is close to $300, not covered since it is out of warranty. I've got the extended, just need to find time to take it in.

Will let you all know what the dealer says, but all points to a bad ATS to me!!

Thanks Again!!
TiffnAllegro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power, tiffin