Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #1

2014 Phaeton 42 LH

Can anyone give me some insight on the quality of the 2014 Phaeton 42 LH or any of the Tiffin lines of motorhomes. My current motorhome is an '06 Fleetwood Discovery which I purchased new. The past 2 motorhomes I have purchased have been Fleetwoods however, I am looking to possibly purchase a Phaeton.

Any comments on the Tiffin line of motorhomes to include quality and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #2

Tiffin is a great company and they build a great coach I am a Newmar owner but Tiffin was a very close second when I bought mine.
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #3

We have a 2014 42LH and couldn't be happier with the quality and comfort. We live full time in our coach and have found it to be reliable and easy to live in. In cold weather, the heated floors are terrific as they heat the entire coach unless it is in the single digits. The kitchen is spacious, love the induction cook top and dishwasher. I never go to laundromats because the stacked W/D does it all. It drive like a big, powerful golf cart.
We are very pleased with our Tiffin.
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #4

We love our 2014 42LH. We have had only minor issues most of which I simply fixed myself. Handling is excellent, rarely of ever feel the push from a passing semi and crosswinds are just not an issue. I think most I've been through is 35 mph cross winds. The 42 foot tag doesn't turn anything like my previous 36 foot gasser but that's just a matter of adjusting your expectations. It just takes me a little longer to get onto tight state park spots.
The interior is well apportioned with high quality solid wood cabinets. Ours was a very early 2104 and had the choice of mat or high gloss tile, we chose the mat which is now standard. No problem with slides marking the tile.
The all electric IS the way to go. Get the heated floor option of you can, these are great. Between the heated floors and fire place we don't need to run the heat unless it falls below about 30 degrees outside.
The 450 HP is more than enough power and two stage Jake brake makes mountain driving a piece of cake.
We full time and have more,than enough storage. We empty space both inside and in the basements. All in all I think you'll be very happy with a 42LH
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2014 Phaeton 40QBH, and have been thrilled with it. We did extensive comparison shopping in the comparables (Discovery, Ventana, etc...) and felt like the quality, layout, and user features were superior in the Tiffin line. Dealer experience had a lot to do with this also, but I'll not spend the time to elaborate on that seeing as you live in a different part of the country.

We optioned our Phaeton with 3rd AC/heat pump, Wineguard in motion Sat, DirectTV, gps, spot light, air horn, exterior tv, dual bay slideouts, vacuum, dull finish flooring (easy to maintain), memory foam king, stacked washer dryer, and 10K onan. So far no regrets - we passed on the heated floor because we live in the South (and $$'s), passed on fireplace for same, passed on loungers because we needed the sleeping/travel spots. The only thing I wish came with this coach (Discovery had it) was the smart steering wheel with cruise and audio controls on the wheel - it might come standard on the 42, but not in the Phaeton line-up.

On the road, our rig is pretty strong. We tow a full sized (over sized!) SUV, and asside from a slower departure and more space needed to merge, we have not discerned any driveability, engine load, or other issues. It cruises at 65mph with ease, holds 6th gear up slight grades, maybe downshifts to 4th to climb a tall bridge (1/4 mile).

The thing that really pleased me with this Tiffin was the high delivery quality. Again, I probably have to give some of that credit to the dealer deliver QC process, but we've not had any major issues or reasons to return if for waranty work. There have been a couple of minor issues that I've addressed myself, and would bet that they were partially if not complete self inflicted.

Good luck, and whatever you choose, I hope your experience will be a great one!
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #6

We had a Diesel Bounder as a first coach and bought a 40' 2008 Allegro Bus off a dealer lot in Tucson. I put 70,000 miles on it in less than 5 years and loved it, but it was a bit heavy on the axles (all those high end options) and DW fell in love with the 43' 2013's floor plan and rear bath. This one we had extensively modified for boondocking and it has met all our expectations. We've put 32,000 miles on the '13 in 16 months.

Tiffins are not without their occasional problem and have the normal delivery warts, but a lot of that is on dealer's poor service departments. I do my own periodic maintenance and a fair amount of the out of warranty repairs but we get all our major issues addressed at the Tiffin maintenance facility in Red Bay. We're always going somewhere so this is not an imposition.

You could do a lot worse than any model Tiffin.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcabby View Post
We have a 2014 Phaeton 40QBH, and have been thrilled with it. We did extensive comparison shopping in the comparables (Discovery, Ventana, etc...) and felt like the quality, layout, and user features were superior in the Tiffin line. Dealer experience had a lot to do with this also, but I'll not spend the time to elaborate on that seeing as you live in a different part of the country.

We optioned our Phaeton with 3rd AC/heat pump, Wineguard in motion Sat, DirectTV, gps, spot light, air horn, exterior tv, dual bay slideouts, vacuum, dull finish flooring (easy to maintain), memory foam king, stacked washer dryer, and 10K onan. So far no regrets - we passed on the heated floor because we live in the South (and $$'s), passed on fireplace for same, passed on loungers because we needed the sleeping/travel spots. The only thing I wish came with this coach (Discovery had it) was the smart steering wheel with cruise and audio controls on the wheel - it might come standard on the 42, but not in the Phaeton line-up.

On the road, our rig is pretty strong. We tow a full sized (over sized!) SUV, and asside from a slower departure and more space needed to merge, we have not discerned any driveability, engine load, or other issues. It cruises at 65mph with ease, holds 6th gear up slight grades, maybe downshifts to 4th to climb a tall bridge (1/4 mile).

The thing that really pleased me with this Tiffin was the high delivery quality. Again, I probably have to give some of that credit to the dealer deliver QC process, but we've not had any major issues or reasons to return if for waranty work. There have been a couple of minor issues that I've addressed myself, and would bet that they were partially if not complete self inflicted.

Good luck, and whatever you choose, I hope your experience will be a great one!

How do you like the Memory Foam King? Who is your dealer?
Old 08-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi JC,

Our dealer was Demontrond - the salesman was Rick Stautmeister. I highly recommend them both.

The memory foam is one that I'm not sure about yet. It s not noticibly more comfortable or in, it's just different. Perhaps I'll grow to like it over time, but haven't had enough test time to tell.
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #9

Sounds like Demontrond really did a good job.

We have a mem foam at home (Tempurpedic) and wonder what brand is in the MH.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #10

Sleep Number Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. C. R. View Post
Sounds like Demontrond really did a good job.

We have a mem foam at home (Tempurpedic) and wonder what brand is in the MH.
JC, We have a 2014 Phaeton QBH and similar to other posts, we LOVE it. We have a King Sleep number bed and REALLY LIKE IT. I suggest you check it out. It is quite different from Memory foam.
Bob &Nancy M.
2014 Tiffin Phaeton QBH
2014 GMC Acadia Toad w/ Blue Ox & Patriot Brake
rmilewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #11

We have the sleep number bed in our 2011 42QBH that we full time in. We are not fans of the sleep number, not comfortable at all for us. We are looking for alternatives. Keep in mind that you are constantly changing the air levels up and down due to outside air temps going up or down. And DON'T forget if you are traveling in the mountains to reduce the air pressure in your bed. If you forget to do this and make moderate changes in elevation while driving you can easily pop the mattress due to pressure increase.

Greg & Lynn (Full-timers)
2011 42QBH Tiffin Phaeton
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:22 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We are also looking at the Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH. But I notice that dealers order the 40' Phaeton but very few ever order the 42 Phaeton. Yet they have the Allegro Bus in stock.
Is the Allegro Bus 43 or 45 a better way to go?

BTW: yes I know the 43 BUs has been discontinued for 15.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #13

We didn't care for the floorplan in the 45, especially in the area of the rear closet and bath. Since the 43 is really 44' long, we don't feel we lost that much space, and DW is VERY happy. When mama's happy, everyone's happy. When mama's NOT happy, ---well...
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
Tiffin is a great company and they build a great coach I am a Newmar owner but Tiffin was a very close second when I bought mine.

What made you choose Newmar over Tiffin?