Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #1
GKU

2014 red 38qra

We purchased this new in Dec 2013, since then it has spent 6 weeks so far at LazyDays Tampa, it is there now. This is our second Tiffin.

All together it had at least 24+ items that needed to get fixed some of these were punch list problems most were QC items (things that should have been fixed before leaving the factory).

The major problem is when you start it the service light on the transmission panel comes on, with this on the coach will not go into gear. If you cycle the key until you see the "NN" in the display then everything works OK. When first taken in 3 months ago Lazydays worked with Freightliner, they decided it was a transmission problem and sent it out to Allison where it stayed for a week. Allison could not find a problem with the transmission and sent it to back to Lazydays then to me. A few days after I got it back the problem started again.

I sent an email to both Bob and Tim Tiffin, I got a return email from a manager in their Chassis department who tried to help. His suggestion is for Lazydays to take it to a Freightliner dealer. When they tried to make an appointment it would be the end of June or sometime in July.

It would seem to me that Tiffin would have some pull with Freightliner, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

This is a Tiffin Motor Home their name is on the Coach not a Freightliner Motor Home.

Sorry for the length of this but it is complicated and I an upset.

Has anyone had this transmission problem?
GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
In my mind, if the service light is in the transmission panel, then it certainly is an Allison issue, though Tiffin should be behind you 100% and should put pressure on whomever they need to to fix it. It could be some glitch in their electronics. I'm surprised that there weren't codes that could be read to help zero in on the problem. I have had a weird problem with my trans in that two different times it has changed from 6x to 5x and will not shift into 6th gear. I called Allison and they had no clue as to why and stated that it was not in response to any problem or overheating issue. When electronics can be completely self-diagnosing, it seems like some of these companies just won't utilize those abilities. Hope you solve your problem quickly.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #3

I am probably over simplifying your problem but I had a electrical fault in my coach last year which manifested with all dash instrumentation turning off and the transmission indicator displaying 0 with a stroke through it (Allison dealer called it cats eyes). Long story short, in one of my bays is a connector that supplies power to the transmission. The connector was knocked loose by something in the bay. The rubber boot over the connector was not knocked off so the disconnect was not obvious. Reseated the connector and everything has been fine since (except the $600 diagnostic fee!).
Hope it turns out to be something simple.
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
OK, you've vented but you still don't have your motorhome fixed. There have been a number of posts this spring about others having service issues with Lazy Days. I know you think Tiffin is responsible for the entire coach but that is not the case. They built the house portion and Freightliner built the chassis the house sits on. Just think of subcontractors in the home building industry. Tiffin will help anyway they can, but they are not the builder of the chassis.

You should get the coach out of Lazy Days and off to Freightliner if you want to get it fixed. In the meantime, you should go to http://tiffinrvnetwork.com and see if someone else has had this problem and what was done to resolve it.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
GKU

Was sent out to Freightliner yesterday...so it went from one month to one day after I posted this...interesting!!!!!!

I will update later, once I find out the results.

Thanks all
Old 06-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #6

one of your issues is your not there staring the service writer in the face. If its left there it is in the bottom of the barrel. When it goes to a service bay you have to go and find it and baby sit the mech. When nothing is happening YOU have to find out why and push them hard. Unfortunately this is the way it is ; been there and done that. It appears you are letting others work on your issues and just waiting. You have to be proactive and get involved or you will be pretty much ignored. Have you called the facility where it was transported and gotten a status? Are you retired and have the time to do the babysitting? If you cant be there get names and call call call otherwise your invisible and not on any priority list.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
GKU

It was sent to Cummins they put in on the computer and did find codes that indicated it is a wiring harness problem and said to take it to Freightliner.

I called Freighter in Orlando and will be taking it in toward the end of the week once I get it back from Lazydays, they are still working on the coach QC problems.

I will update this post once I get a report from Freightliner.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to DavCor
Just traded my 34RED for a 38QRA and sure hope I don't have the same problem, but if I do, then it is off to Freightliner for sure. As an aside, my wife and I are from Florida and we are now in NM where we traded. Had just to darn many serious electrical problems with the 34 and wanted to get at least two weeks without something busting.
On the road in a Tiffin Allegro Red 34, with Blue Ox towing system. Reve, the cat, is Second Officer, who's duties are to lay quiet and do nothing. Donna, my bride, is the First Officer and Navigator . . . Dave drives.
DavCor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:35 AM   #9
GKU

My 38 has been with Freightliner for a week---they can't find the problem. I hope to hear next week if they find it or if they are giving up.
Good luck DavCor on your new 38 I hope you enjoy it, ours has been a big problem since we got it. Lazydays has fixed all of the punch list and Tiffin QC problems (over 25 of them). In the six months that we owned ours, we have been without it for 2+ months now.We are still hopeful for a good outcome.

I will update this post when this nightmare is over.