Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 05:24 AM   #1

2015 36la

I'm a little concerned about the motor v 10 having enough power to pull the 36la. Could not afford the diesel .
bsmoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 05:38 AM   #2

Smile

Have you read of any power problems with the Ford V10? I have a 2015 Newmar Country Star 3610 36 Ft.(24000#). It has all the power you will ever need. If you think you can go up a 6% grade at 70 MPH you better rethink you driving plans. They put the V10 in units up to 39Feet. My previous RV was a 31" Winne Access with the 305 HP V10 and it also had all the power it needed.
Petersr58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:59 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2013 35 QBA which is the same size as the 36 LA and is the same chassis as the LA. We do not tow but others we know with the same chassis do. We have plenty of power but I will tell you the overall performance was much improved when we added the 5 Star Tune. Things like pulling grades and accelerating on to highways is so much better. We live and travel mostly on the east coast but do drive the mountains of Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee with no problem.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:05 AM   #4

Haven't ever had any problems with V10 Fords. I always drive in the tow haul mode for the transmission. Several tuners available, but I don't think they are a good idea myself. I use Mobile 1 in V10 Fords, after the first oil change. Dave
Old 05-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #5

thanks ,,,i think it will be fine..
Old 05-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #6

We have the 36la with the v 10. It's all about the journey, not how fast or powerful you get to your destination. We tow a Jeep Wrangler and it's all good. 350 miles per day. Stop have a cold beer and relax. Life is short and your dead a long time.
new 2 rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoking View Post
thanks ,,,i think it will be fine..
I have a new 36LA, I only wanted a diesel, being an old diesel mechanic, but could not justify the extra cost now, the V-10 engine works good, no problems on flat surfaces it will run 70 mph with no issues, we have long steep grades here in California and it will pull them at 45 mph at 4,000 rpm, the faster you go the more fuel you will burn where it is diesel or gas. The coaches with the smaller Cummins engine will only give you a small advantage on hill pulling.
Tim
timmy g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
HGC

2015 Allegro 36LA

We have a 36LA and we traded a Rexhall 36 ft. which also had the Ford V10 but with less horsepower and two valves. We towed a Honda Accord w/ a dolly and although we couldn't go up a 7% grade at 70mph we climbed hills that would give some white knuckles. One was on state RT 30 in Pa going towards Gettysburg. This made the climb to Estes in CO.seem tame. Had to go 10mph for miles in 1st gear.
The 36LA has a newer V10 and is really all you need to deal with Colorado or Pennsylvania mountains. Just realize that it is a truck and that the best torque range is 3700 to 4000 rpm for climbing hills. This engine loves this range and does it with ease albeit a little more noise. Take your time on grades. The semis do and we have passed a few up. And I agree the smaller diesels wont be better and certainly will cost more to maintain and/or repair. We learned to relax our time expectations. Good luck
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:50 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2015 36LA also. Have about 5000 miles on it and as previous post mention it has plenty of power. We tow a ford fiesta on a master tow dolly and encountered no problems in Smoky Mountains, averaged about 62-64 mph. We did add a 5 Star tuner to it, which helps considerably with down shifting on larger grades.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #10

5 star tuner

sorry about all the questions i have had but the answers have been great. a lot of people talk about the 5 star tuner, where can i get it? . One more question, when i use the jacks i have seen people use wood under them,is this a good idea or is it not necessary. And again thank yo all.....Brian
Old 05-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
Haven't ever had any problems with V10 Fords. I always drive in the tow haul mode for the transmission. Several tuners available, but I don't think they are a good idea myself. I use Mobile 1 in V10 Fords, after the first oil change. Dave
hi
i have not previously heard of "always driving in tow mode".

how does that work, effect the performance, gas mileage, etc.

thanks,
pdq