Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2022, 04:31 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2015 37PA delaminated fiberglass on roof

Hi Folks.
I am continuing my pre-purchase inspections on the 2015 37PA so I hired an NRVIA inspector. My BIG concern is the roof. It is very chalky and the fiberglass has separated from the underlayment in 2 rows from front to back about 2 feet in from the sides. Two puffy "ridges" along the length of the white fiberglass. I can depress the bulge about 1/8" - maybe a bit more. Roof is solid on edges and center.
Coach has been stored outside in AZ heat all it's life and owner has never been on roof. I doubt roof has ever been cleaned nor waxed as it is very chalky.

I am trying to understand the risk I am taking if I buy this rig. I have no idea if it can/should be fixed/repaired. No evidence of any leaks and roof is tight at all penetrations. Seems like a manufacturing defect to me but I am a novice.

I tried to take a picture but it really does not show well in a photo.

I really appreciate any advice or experience any of you have to help me please!
SonoranDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2022, 04:41 PM   #2

I good reseal of the whole roof should do the job.
It probably wasn’t resealed since new.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:05 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Think you will find that this is not uncommon at all. I asked the same thing a few years back and I believe the answer I remember is that Tiffin doesn't glue all of it to the layer below. I'm sure a lot of others will respond.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:13 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have that on our 2014 Allegro Bus 37AP as well. Asked Don Boyd, now retired Tiffin Service Manager, about it and he said that is normal. As stated, they don't bond the whole roof to the underlayment. Just be sure the edges are sealed well.

It is worst in hot weather.

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 10-04-2022, 05:41 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Page from roof inspection. Lets see if this works
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tiffin Roof Insp Photos.pdf (129.5 KB, 9 views)
SonoranDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:48 PM   #6

There are two wire channels running front to back right where you see the lifted material. As others have stated, Tiffin doesn’t fully glue the fiberglass down. Mine is worse in hot weather, but it is more random than your photo.

Not sure where you are in Arizona, but there is someone on YouTube that goes by “AZ Expert” ( real name is James). He does inspections and is very knowledgeable on Tiffins.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:13 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
roof

Vettenuts is correct I watched one of Az Experts videos and he says its normal on Tiffin fiberglass roofs.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:21 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I am a certified NRVIA inspector and do find roofs with some portions of the roof that can be deflected. The extent of the ridges on this roof are more than I normally encounter. If the roof material layers on the ridge are de-laminated, it could be expensive to fix when it fails. Most Tiffin roofs do flex some where they are not glued to the wood sub-roof. Does the roof sound crunchy when you push down or walk on the ridges?
Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:51 PM   #9

SonoranDog, I have a '15 45LP. We are full timers so the RV has been in the sun and Southeast weather all the time. I have cleaned and waxed the roof about every 6 months. With that being said I have some 'humps' and wavy sections on the roof. And some very small cracks in the fiberglass. I have had Tiffin look at it several years ago and they said that was OK, the cracks are only in the very top part of the fiberglass (gelcoat). It bothered me so I painted the roof with a fiberglass paint for boats. I sanded, primed and 3 coats of paint. The cracks came back so I took it to Tiffin 2 months ago for them to inspect it. After having several people look at it, they said that it was not a problem. I have not had any leaks that I know of. The cracks still bother me but I don't know if there is anything more that I need to do. I might try filling in the cracks and put another coat of paint on the roof.

All that to say as others have, the RV may not have a problem with the roof. I wanted to give you some perspective from another person who has been concerned about puffy spots on the roof.

Safe Travels,
superiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:43 PM   #10

I have a 2008 Tiffin phaeton 40'
I noticed white streaks on the sides of the RV after rain
This lead me to find the roof chalky
looking very closely under magnification the surface of the roof was pitted
This is the gel coat surface breaking down from UV sun exposure
I researched how to fix this
One option was to repaint the Gel coat
other people used wax, floor wax, 303, etc
I wanted something more substantial
I used the Dicor Fiberglass RV Roof Coating
After cleaning the roof with Dicor Fiberglass clean & Prep
I put on 3 coats. It has been on 6 months and looks like the day I put it on
I expect it will last 2 years. I expect to have to repeat this every 2 years.
There are various ways to attack this, the Dicor is the route I chose
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:12 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Roof chalky

I also use the Dicor seal/paint. Our Moho is 20 yrs. Old and no problems with the roof at all. It’s all in the prep before you apply the sealant, I re apply about every 2-3 years, takes about 6 hours.
Npkp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, roof