Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2019, 10:40 AM   #1

2016 Allegro Red 37PA vs. Phaeton 40 QBH

First, forgot to mention in title the Phaeton is a 2013.

Interior floor plans aside, I am trying to figure out what I lose between these two coaches. The Red has 800 lb-ft of torque vs. the 1050 lb-ft for the Phaeton but both are rated to tow 10K lbs. GVWR on the Phaeton is a few thousand lbs more. I am not seeing a huge difference in interior quality and some of the standard items on Phaeton are options on the Red or not available.

My reason for asking is we found a 2016 Red that is gorgeous and I can't figure out what we would be giving up in lieu of a Phaeton. All the threads I could find were comparisons of older coaches and the 2016 capacities have been improved since then.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Make sure it has the 380 engine. I think it was an option in 2016
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
Make sure it has the 380 engine. I think it was an option in 2016
360hp, not 380. It was an option in 2015 when we had our RED and I wished for the 360 since it only had the 340. If it has the 340, you are limited to 5k towing. Ours did okay, but night and day difference between the 340 and the 380 in the Phaeton. If the one you are looking at has 800 lbft torque, then it's the 360hp. The 340 only had 660 lbft if I remember correctly.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Find out what kind of furniture covering the Red has. Our 2014 Phaeton had true Ultra Leather but the Reds of that year has a similar covering but was not true Ultra Leather. Our friends had to replace all their coverings on their 2014 Red due to peeling.
Also check the rear axle weight rating on the Red.
According to the Tiffin brochure, the 2016 Red has Leatherette upholstery not UlraLeather.......big difference in durability .
Tiffin brochure for 2013 lists UltraLeather for Phaeton.

For a general comparison of what’s in each go to the Tiffin Rv site, on the pull down menu, tap owners, then tap resources, they list brochures for all their models back quite a ways.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I think you'll find the fit/finish & CCC of the Phaeton superior to the RED, even though the Phaeton is older. We looked at both, a 2019 RED 37BA & a 2018 Phaeton 40IH....nearly the same floorplan. They drove completely different (of course the IH is on Tiffin's PowerGlide, vs the Phaeton you're looking at being on a Freightliner) with the Phaeton feeling more "solid". I still felt a push from passing semi's in the RED, not at all in the Phaeton. The Phaeton was longer & heavier, so that may have made a difference as well.

Also as has been posted, carefully check the material used on the furniture in the RED. You do NOT want the knock off fake leather. You want true UltraLeather - although still fake leather - which won't flake off & it lasts.

You can see by my avatar & signature what we picked.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I think you'll find the fit/finish & CCC of the Phaeton superior to the RED, even though the Phaeton is older. We looked at both, a 2019 RED 37BA & a 2018 Phaeton 40IH....nearly the same floorplan. They drove completely different (of course the IH is on Tiffin's PowerGlide, vs the Phaeton you're looking at being on a Freightliner) with the Phaeton feeling more "solid". I still felt a push from passing semi's in the RED, not at all in the Phaeton. The Phaeton was longer & heavier, so that may have made a difference as well.

Also as has been posted, carefully check the material used on the furniture in the RED. You do NOT want the knock off fake leather. You want true UltraLeather - although still fake leather - which won't flake off & it lasts.

You can see by my avatar & signature what we picked.

Lori-

I would think that if the used Red had the flaking vinyl it would have shown up by now. No one uses real leather other than the super high end manufacturers. My 2013 36 LA has the ultra fake leather and it’s holding up fine.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
360hp, not 380. It was an option in 2015 when we had our RED and I wished for the 360 since it only had the 340. If it has the 340, you are limited to 5k towing. Ours did okay, but night and day difference between the 340 and the 380 in the Phaeton. If the one you are looking at has 800 lbft torque, then it's the 360hp. The 340 only had 660 lbft if I remember correctly.
I stand corrected on the 360 versus the 380. Thanks for point it out.
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:55 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The RED uses single pane windows while the Phaeton will have dual pane. Big difference in noise reduction and cooler weather comfort. Also, Phaeton will have a superior paint job compared to the RED, better woodwork in the interior, and a better engine - the ISL9.

I don't believe the RED has a powered water hose reel or electric cord reel.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The brochure for the 2016 Allegro RED's states "Leatherette" is the fabric used. That is not UltraLeather. It is the less durable knock-off.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #10

The limiting factor on towing is not the engine, it’s the transmission. Phaetons have a bigger transmission even though it only has 20-40 more hp. Phaeton has ceramic tile, RED vinyl tile. Phaeton will have slide out drawers in cabinets where the RED will just have shelves. Phaeton has a slide out generator and possibly larger generator. Phaeton will probably have 3 ACs vs two on the RED. Hose reel and power cord reel, upgraded upholstery, upgraded cabinet hardware. The Phaeton likely has a basement slide out drawer, the RED probably doesn’t. The Phaeton just has More, it’s up to you if it’s worth it.

Tags
allegro, phaeton