Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2022, 12:18 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
2016 Phaeton 44OH Rooftop Satellite

So we bought this Tiffin used last March and had been thinking of switching the rooftop to dish. Currently we have a portable Tailgater Pro and it works fine especially in areas where the "portable" part works great. Though many times it would be nice not to have to set it up when we are in the open so looking to update the DirectTV roof top to Dish. Ironically the option sheet on my coach says it has a Winegard Model RTT-20B (see 1st pic) then after cleaning the roof last week I got a good view of everything up there and it looks like the original owners took the RTT-20B off the roof (2nd Pic) and replaced it with Winegard Trav'ler model LG-2112 (3rd Pic) so I think I know what I need to do to update it to DISH but looking for verification but more importantly I'm looking to where the Coax from the Trav'ler would come out inside the coach. I'm assuming it probably came out the same as the original DISH but don't know where that was either. I've checked out behind the bedroom (can only find the one to the tripod/portable Satellite and living room TV but don't see it. Not so sure about the overhead Dash TV but looking for help before I get to deep hunting this down. I'm also wondering if there's a way to exercise the way it currently is even if I don't have a DIRECTTV account. I want to make sure it's working before I update it. I notice a switch in the Front Cabinet (see last pic) where the Front Slide Switches are but nothing happens when I turn it on. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard Model RTT-20B original that was on 2016 Phaeton.png
Views:	25
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	361848   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220314_194216.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	361849  

Name:	20220314_194112.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	361850   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220314_193842.jpg
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	361851  

Name:	20220409_142142.jpg
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	361852  
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2022, 12:46 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
That switch in the cabinet was for the original dome antenna so it's probably not connected to anything now. The coax from the Trav'ler will be in one of two places. If they used the original two coax cables from the dome antenna, they will be in the A/V cabinet and will be labeled Sat1 and Sat2. If they ran new cables when they installed the Trav'ler, they will be wherever the satellite receiver hooks up so they could be in an upper cabinet in the front of the coach, or they could be in the A/V cabinet unlabeled. If the coach was pre-wired from the factory for a Trav'ler, the coax cables will be in the A/V cabinet and will be labeled Travlr 1 and Travlr 2. With them coming out of a "prewire" access dome on the roof then it may have been prewired for a Trav'ler which was a factory option. Where the dome was located it does look like the coax access has been covered over and sealed so that makes me think the coach was prewired for a Trav'ler especially if the Trav'ler is located above the bedroom/half bath area.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 01:09 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
That switch in the cabinet was for the original dome antenna so it's probably not connected to anything now. The coax from the Trav'ler will be in one of two places. If they used the original two coax cables from the dome antenna, they will be in the A/V cabinet and will be labeled Sat1 and Sat2. If they ran new cables when they installed the Trav'ler, they will be wherever the satellite receiver hooks up so they could be in an upper cabinet in the front of the coach, or they could be in the A/V cabinet unlabeled. If the coach was pre-wired from the factory for a Trav'ler, the coax cables will be in the A/V cabinet and will be labeled Travlr 1 and Travlr 2. With them coming out of a "prewire" access dome on the roof then it may have been prewired for a Trav'ler which was a factory option. Where the dome was located it does look like the coax access has been covered over and sealed so that makes me think the coach was prewired for a Trav'ler especially if the Trav'ler is located above the bedroom/half bath area.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:21 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Hi Dan
So contacted Winegard who informs me that I'm missing the "interface box" looked at the stuff I took and all I have is the DIRECTV Receiver and some cables. Asked them where it might be located and crickets though they did send me a nice survey to fill out... really. So, I'm not sure where this would be located, would it be behind some access panel or something? Any idea? They said they can't tell me the model of my trav'ler without either removing the entire turret or the knowing what it says on the interface box. I try to tell I'm switching to Dish from DIRECTV so would the interface box change.... crickets . I did find two coax cables labeled trav'ler#1 and trav'ler #2 (pic 1 & 2) also trav'ler 2 cables and one data cable (pic 3) I think these were labeled DVR probably to the HDMI splitter that yet to be in there. So any idea where these (pic 1 & 2) might go? I'm suspecting they go to the trav'ler but haven't been able to get back on the roof yet to confirm this. I also see some Sat #1 & 2 which I would assume went to the Satellite that might've been there before
thxs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Travler Coax #1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	362210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Travler Coax #2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	362211  

Name:	Traveler dvr .jpg
Views:	19
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	362212  
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:45 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You are missing the control box that goes in the A/V cabinet. The six conductor wire in your photo plugs into the back of the box and it has a power supply that plugs into a 120v outlet. You can pick up one of those on eBay pretty easily.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265579207614

The kit to convert from DirecTV to Dish is available from Winegard.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, satellite, phaeton