Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2021, 08:26 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2016 Tiffin Allegro 450P on Freightliner vs PowerGlide

Tomorrow I'm going to be looking at a 2016 Tiffin Allegro 450P on a Freightliner chassis. I had gathered that the PowerGlide was better for more basement storage and independent front suspension, though looking at the 2016 brochure, it appears the Freightliner has IFS too.

The only differences I see in the specs for the Freightliner is 10 cu ft less storage than the PowerGlide, 100 more alternator amps (not sure what difference that makes?), and 4" more overall height.

Is there some other difference I should prefer one over the other?

Also, any red flags I should consider or look for with this coach?

(We had been restricting our search to 40', but more space is always welcome for full-timing; hopefully the extra length wouldn't be too much harder to drive or find campsites.)
Facebook: Tiffin Allegro Bus 2016-2018 Owners group
Dejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 04:08 AM   #2

More *storage* space is always welcome for full-timing. Make sure you compare storage space between the 40- and 45-footers, because the TAG takes up some room.

As for whether the extra 5 feet of interior space is worthwhile, just depends on what they did with it. If all you get is an extra bathroom, I dunno man. You want room to move around in the kitchen and at least one bathroom. Two bathroom sinks is *really* nice to have. Don't need a bunch of room in the bedroom, but it's not possible to have too much bedroom storage.

Look at the steering angle, part of what makes these big rigs tolerable to handle in tight spaces is the extent to which you can make em pivot around the rear wheels.

Also try to get a feel for defect rates. Freightliner has some aggravating little things, quirks in instrumentation systems, lighting systems, controls. I mean, it's getting me down the highway, and there are people everywhere who can service the chassis, but I think there's some room for quality improvement. Which maybe happened in the 8 years between when my rig was manufactured, and yours, i dunno
Old 07-22-2021, 06:47 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
TampaDave hit it. If I'm full timing, I want all the room I can get. We spend 5 months a year in our 40' and get by. I know many people do, and smaller, but I dont think I would like to full time in a 40'. I am in the same camp with a single bath. I feel the extra bath takes up valuable space and would rather have that as living area, especially kitchen counter space and kitchen appliance storage. But the 1 1/2 baths are a popular floor plan and many people prefer them. Its all in the floorplan you prefer
I cant comment on the chassis comparison as mine is a Freightliner, but ours has been bullet proof.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:58 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The Freightliner with IFS will be a great chassis. As for extra storage space, the Allegro Bus line didn't go to the raised rail Power Glide chassis for taller storage until the 2018 models. Bay height will be about the same on the Freightliner or the Power Glide in the 2016 model.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:38 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Someone correct if I’m wrong. Freightliner never had a IFS. If that coach does. It’s not freightliner. Jk
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:58 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkorn View Post
Someone correct if I’m wrong. Freightliner never had a IFS. If that coach does. It’s not freightliner. Jk
Freightliner was an Option on the 2016 but I think the option came with the 600 HP. A friend has a 2016 45OP which has that Option, he thinks the 450 HP comes with the Power glide chassis which the rest of the models came with that year as well. He does say he has IFS with his... I looked on Tiffin's Website and came up with this out of their brochure which states IFS is standard on all models and doesn't state its not on the optional FL S chassis for that year. I guess one way would be to look underneath or ask whomever is selling it to take a picture and send it to verify it if the OP is interested and not close by. If the OP wants more info he can go to Tiffin's website and get most if not all their brochures corresponding to particular years and models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210723-063955_Drive.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	336914  
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:45 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
ZF IFS is an option on both the Freightliner XC and SL Chassis.
https://www.fcccrv.com/chassis/xc/
https://www.fcccrv.com/chassis/sl/
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:55 AM   #8

If it has anything like my Freightliner Maxum Chassis tag it will be a great ride.
It has the ZF independent front
Sachs airs
Utrasteer
Vride
Bendix air brakes up front
Meritor Cam brakes in rear.
240 amp alternator

It’s just a great ride.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We have the same bus, except we are on the Power glide Chassis. I cannot speak to the Freightliner Chassis. The Bus overall, there is a lot of discussion about the wasted space of the mid 1/2 Bath. We would not be with out it. We find it very convenient and this allows for the bigger full bath. I am an early riser my wife not so much, I can close the door to the BR and still have a functional space in the event I can not sit outside. Enjoy my morning coffee. We have the coach fully loaded and not sure what else we would need while traveling and have space in the basement. The Tag makes it ride better and we do not recognize a loss of storage space. There is the cost of the 2 additional tires.

We also have our house on Market and will start our travels 6/27/22.

The 45 OP is a great bus for us and our lifestyle.
Phillieagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:13 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Love our new 45OPP bus. Notably better ride than our 2014 40SP BUS. Dual tags, but also the active air ride suspension.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:33 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks all.

Re the half bath, that is a requirement for us.

We liked the 2016 Tiffin Allegro 450P that we checked out, though there were a few little things that weren't as nice as more recent models, e.g. no pull-out pantries, no Spyder touch controls, etc. We could be happy in that coach, but will keep looking for now.

Still debating the 40 vs 45 length question. We like the extra internal space of the 45 for full-timing (a bigger closet and slightly bigger living area; the basement is much the same, due to the tag). But worry that the 45 might be harder to maneuver or find campsites.
Facebook: Tiffin Allegro Bus 2016-2018 Owners group
Dejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:56 PM   #12

freightliner chassis with IFS

My 2007 Allegro Bus is on a Freightliner chassis. It also has Independent Front suspension. I love it. The chassis does a good job too. MOMCAT
Old 07-27-2021, 10:12 PM   #13

The newer Tiffin’s we looked at that were on the Power Glide chassis had a flat floor front to back while the Freightliner had a step into the bathroom. I’m not sure if that was true in 2016, but I thought I’d throw that into the conversation.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:00 PM   #14

Newmar 2856 My Tiffin is only an "07, but it is on a Freightliner Chassis and my floor is flat all over except over the engine and in the closet area. No step into the John. MOMCAT

Tags
allegro, freightliner, power, tiffin