Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2021, 09:54 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH Odometer Issue

At the start of my recent trip to the Florida Keys I had a weird issue with my odometer. I'm in the habit when I start my trip to take my starting mileage and time even though I have my Bluefire turned on to track the trip and provide that information. So started the Coach up brought in the slides and raised the levelers then setup my Bluefire Trip. No problems so far but then stepped thru the steps to get to the odometer on my dash and saw my starting mileage was 136095 (see attached pic) so knowing it was wrong decided to shut down and restart same results so proceeded to my first stop in at dealers to install the wiper arms that had been back ordered since August. I did see the odometer adding miles as I traveled the 60 miles to it then I shutdown while there then restarted same results Odometer was still in error. Proceeded to the keys arrived odometer had added the 250+ miles to the reading from starting miles (see pic). Ended trip and Bluefire emails me the data with the correct miles that my odometer should be reading (see pic). So do I have something set wrong or am I missing something? It's obvious wiith the Bluefire still recording the actual mileage that I have an issue with the dash odometer. It's not in Kilometers either since you can see it clearly states "mi" to the right of the numbers. Anyone else ever run into this phenomenon before? Is there a way to get back to the correct mileage since this would be hard to explain if and when I sell the coach down the road. One last note of oddity the tripometers we're both reading the same high miles. I left on at that reading and reset the other which showed the actual miles I traveled to the keys. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20211216_091805.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	351738   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211218_113500.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	351739  

Name:	Screenshot_20211216-190733_Gmail.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	351740  
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Dana, my 40IH did the same thing about a year and a half ago. Went from about 34,000 miles to 134,000. The problem was the speedometer head misreading the ECM. Our trip meters did the same thing. I think it was those that had a false reading and the mileage was just added to the total. A replacement head fixed the problem and it read the correct mileage. It's an easy plug and play replacement. The only down side is it lost the generator hours and started over but I can get those off the generator itself. I just looked at the Tiffin store and that head has gone way up. I think it was about $100 for it then but looks like it's $467 now. You might contact Gary Harris in the chassis shop and plead your case. gary.harris@tiffinmotorhomes.com That may be a known defect in the 2016-2017 models.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:21 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Dana, my 40IH did the same thing about a year and a half ago. Went from about 34,000 miles to 134,000. The problem was the speedometer head misreading the ECM. Our trip meters did the same thing. I think it was those that had a false reading and the mileage was just added to the total. A replacement head fixed the problem and it read the correct mileage. It's an easy plug and play replacement. The only down side is it lost the generator hours and started over but I can get those off the generator itself. I just looked at the Tiffin store and that head has gone way up. I think it was about $100 for it then but looks like it's $467 now. You might contact Gary Harris in the chassis shop and plead your case. gary.harris@tiffinmotorhomes.com That may be a known defect in the 2016-2017 models.
Thanks I figured it has to be something in line. Where is it located? Does it happen to be behind the dash? and do you have the part number since its probably the same as yours.
I'll call Gary on Monday or email him see what he says. Thxs
Old 12-18-2021, 09:30 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The Speedo assembly is a sealed unit. It fastens to the dash with a couple of bolts and there are two multi lead plugs that go into the back. It's about a 2 minute change once you get the dash face off.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:26 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Contacted Gary surprisingly no help, not even the part number told me to go buy one thru Tiffin store. As mentioned they're about $450 in fact checked and I don't even see one for my year coach. In my 60 years of driving never had an odometer or speedometer break. Even mentioned my VIN etc. Case there was some sort of issues with them. I'm getting discouraged with the many issues with my Tiffin and especially concern when they tell me the spyder system has known issues. I've felt that pain more than once with slide issues. We will see how things go. I'll use my bluefire and tripometer to track my miles to date for now. I'd like to get one trip without 2 or more things breaking.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:01 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Contacted Gary surprisingly no help, not even the part number told me to go buy one thru Tiffin store. As mentioned they're about $450 in fact checked and I don't even see one for my year coach. In my 60 years of driving never had an odometer or speedometer break. Even mentioned my VIN etc. Case there was some sort of issues with them. I'm getting discouraged with the many issues with my Tiffin and especially concern when they tell me the spyder system has known issues. I've felt that pain more than once with slide issues. We will see how things go. I'll use my bluefire and tripometer to track my miles to date for now. I'd like to get one trip without 2 or more things breaking.
Gary Harris is a good Power Glide resource. Your signature shows a 2016 Phaeton 44OH. If that's correct it came standard on a Freightliner chassis with the Power Glide as an option.

If you, or the original purchaser, didn't select the Power Glide option, I think you're on a Freightliner and would suggest contacting them.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:18 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Gary Harris is a good Power Glide resource. Your signature shows a 2016 Phaeton 44OH. If that's correct it came standard on a Freightliner chassis with the Power Glide as an option.

If you, or the original purchaser, didn't select the Power Glide option, I think you're on a Freightliner and would suggest contacting them.
It is on a Powerglide chassis.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:09 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have to replace the odometer, check with Tiffin on the mileage / hours programming. Your's is newer but my '11 bus went out and the shop near Red Bay was able to program the new unit mileage as long as it was not driven over 200 or so miles on the new unit. After that, they say it locks.

May not apply at all so just a FYI
2021 GMC Canyon Denali
DiddyPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:31 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddyPnut View Post
If you have to replace the odometer, check with Tiffin on the mileage / hours programming. Your's is newer but my '11 bus went out and the shop near Red Bay was able to program the new unit mileage as long as it was not driven over 200 or so miles on the new unit. After that, they say it locks.

May not apply at all so just a FYI
Just for an update, I did call Tiffin on the speedometer, and they sent me a new one programmed with the mileage should've had on it at the time it failed, free of charge. Now to figure out how to install it. It can't be difficult but if anyone has insight on what needs to be done, I'd appreciate it. In the meantime, I'll surf the web perhaps there's a utube on it.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:57 AM   #10

The same happened to my 2013 Bus. The instructions are pretty clear. I just removed dash screws till I could tip it back to access the speedo head. Easy to remove and replace. Once back together, I reprogrammed it to the correct mileage with Tiffin's instructions. I did read it three times to be sure and get it right. Been fine now for 2 years
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:10 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The same happened to my 2013 Bus. The instructions are pretty clear. I just removed dash screws till I could tip it back to access the speedo head. Easy to remove and replace. Once back together, I reprogrammed it to the correct mileage with Tiffin's instructions. I did read it three times to be sure and get it right. Been fine now for 2 years
Well got the speedometer fairly quick which made me happy. Figured out how to swap it out just 3 screws holding the dash in then a couple of nuts on the back and disconnecting the two cables. Though when I went to take it out of the box saw it said 20mph on the analog gauge. Tiffin Chassis tech said to install it and do a reset. Well, no luck there so he switched me back to parts to have them send me yet another one. Total time waiting for part over an hour, but they said they'd send a new one out then asked me to ship the defective one back but had no label or anything in the package which was a mistake on their part. Today they shipped another one out and also provided me return instructions on the defective one. Should get it before the end of the week. Hopefully this one is good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Defective Speedometer from Tiffin 2 7 22.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	355953  
Old 02-12-2022, 07:27 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Finally update got another new one and installed it on the 10th. Was preset for mileage it should've been and had no issues. I added the label and shipped back the defective one. All set. Hopefully this is the last time this fails.
Thxs
Old 08-11-2022, 10:01 PM   #13

I'm having the same problem with a 2018 Alegro bus 45MP the odometer simply went to 0 miles.

When i purchase a replacement unit are the instructions included to show how to reset the original miles?

Devoir
Devoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:37 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
When you plug it in it should read the actual mileage from the ECM. Your generator hours will start back over at 0 unfortunately.

Tags
phaeton, tiffin