Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2020, 11:47 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2017 Allegro Bus Driveability

Hi all, we are the proud new( to us) owners of a 2017 40 SP Bus with very low miles so original tires. As I write this as we are on our return trip from picking it up in OKC on the road to PHX. We have had many rigs over the years and this is our first Tiffin, we really like everything about it! The weather on the return trip has been crazy all over the place, wind, rain, fog and almost snow:sad. The discussion we are having is...that we had hoped for better(quieter/less jarring) “road transitions”.
With the state of our country’s highways maybe it’s hopeless, short of a Newell or Prevost to not suffer from the constant slam, bang, crack from uneven and potted roads. Other than that major annoyance the rig drives and handles great...
Any suggestions that others have done to lessen the severity would be greatly appreciated espically by our Aussie Scout who Really hates it
We have checked the tire pressures and all are at optimal.
Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
CONGRATULATIONS on the new to you coach and welcome to the Tiffin family. It really is a family!

First thing you need to do is get it weighed, preferably all four corners, then set the tire pressures accordingly. If you have them at the recommended pressures which are basically for the maximum load on the tires, then chances are that is too high for the actual weight. I was able to lower our pressures to 105 front and 100 rear from the 120 recommended. There are tons of discussions on here about tire pressures and ride. Like you said, unless you go to a Prevost or Newell you are never going to totally eliminate the roadway jars but you can minimize them some. We have the same chassis and even with the bumps in the road it is still much better than the Freightliner we used to have.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Dan, tire pressure makes a world of difference. We run 106 in the front and 96-100 in the rears.
Our bus rides much better than our Phaeton did.
Our dog loves to ride, stays up front to watch for cows etc to bark at
If you just picked up the bus, there is a good chance the tires are way overinflated for the weight you have now.
when I picked up our bus, the tires were all at around 120 psi.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys! Unfortunately we are at 100 psi all around....so it’s most likely not that��
Old 01-18-2020, 09:44 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Like all above.

WEIGH the bus, then consult your tire chart for correct inflation. It’s never going to ride like a car, but I find mine rides best with a full tank of fuel to match suspension. We use less than half a tank most days but I still look for GOOD, reasonably price fuel each day.

I think my 40SP has 105 front 90 rear.

Drive axle 14440 lb, drive 22540 last weigh in at Cat scale. Cost $11.50.

Fuel tank full, 25 gallons fresh water.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #6

Totally agree, When we road tested our 2017 Bus, I commented that I was feeling every pebble in the roads and was not happy and asked what the tire pressure was at. The dealer said 135 all around ????? HUH ? so on hot days it would climb to 150 + I had the coach weighed and now set at 105 front and 100 rears on our 40 AP

Tags
allegro, allegro bus